• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What is EVOs problem….

Lotus took 2 years from start to the concept debut last year, and are now shipping production cars which by all accounts are quite good. Better in quality, fit and finish than any car they've ever made.

Lol #warmedover410

jethro-smug.jpg

I'd be surprised, 4s are the best tyre I've used by a margin and I've not heard anything negative.

If I keep my Emira ill likely swap over to 4s

By the time you get it, the 5S will be out. :cool:

Not joking, I'm pretty sure the tire will arrive before the car. They already released the PS5, just not the S variant.

Because that's how you want to hear what's said. You seemed to have missed the part in my post in the 3rd paragraph, 4th sentence where I said "For me..." which prefaced my view on how I felt about the Emira. I never said anything about anything else that "can and should be forgiven".

I'm buying a car, which is all I was expecting to buy when I placed my deposit back in July of last year. You and others apparently expected you were buying an experience that included more than just the car. You haven't gotten that, and that's upset you. Some are even cancelling their orders because of that. Many more apparently aren't particularly upset, and are simply waiting for their car to be built and delivered. There's really no need to go through any angst or drama. It's just a car. If Lotus isn't performing in a way that's acceptable to you, move on.
Yes your opinion. But you continue to defend negative reviews due to the Emira looking so good. Good for you that you are happy to drive and own the equivalent of the Emperors new clothes.
What you seem to fail to understand is that if it doesn't perform as well as it looks then we are looking at the death of an iconic British Racing brand. Which means something to a lot of people.
That's certainly the feeling I get coming out of the EVO camp.
I'm happy to wait for a test drive and if I don't feel that it has enough Lotus DNA in it for me then yes I will happily move on without so much as a backwards glance.
Thanks for your concern.

Lotus took 2 years from start to the concept debut last year, and are now shipping production cars which by all accounts are quite good. Better in quality, fit and finish than any car they've ever made.

Lol #warmedover410
All new parts designed for everything except the engine and trans "Lol".

'New' Geely parts
Too funny prob doesn’t matter anyhow I’m inching ALL IN C8 after gooses Z06 review. I got IBTWWW FEVER
I sat in this last month and my head hit the liner. Yesterday I read on here the Emira seat is higher that’s a hard pass if true

Last edited:
I know. From what I know of him I don't think he was smug however. Just genuinely disappointed

Really? He reads as an absolutely insufferable silver spoon entitled prick, from an American perspective. Maybe the class disdain thing is more part of the "background noise" over in the UK, but it's absolutely grating from over here.

Really? He reads as an absolutely insufferable silver spoon entitled prick, from an American perspective. Maybe the class disdain thing is more part of the "background noise" over in the UK, but it's absolutely grating from over here.
Fair. No doubt there is a pond divide.
But having met him (only once admitedly) and speaking to him at length, I saw nothing but a fellow car enthusiast. That combined with following him throughout his whole automotive journalist career I haven't seen or read anything that has led me to believe he is anything other than genuine in his opinions and reviews.

Is there a rule every reviewer has to kiss the ring?
I wish more folk would tell it how it is. You aren't allowed a contrary or inflamatory opinion nowadays though.
And don't start me on opinions based on facts, crazy talk 😅

Is there a rule every reviewer has to kiss the ring?

Haha, hardly. I'd just prefer ones that don't shit on the thing like it's objectively a pile of garbage when it hits 87% of their expectations rather than 95%. This guy's behavior on that video review was borderline unprofessional.

He's English, and in particular he's a Brit working for a Brit publication on a review being filmed in Britain, so he's speaking in normally understood English understatement. He's not an American, and wouldn't be communicating like one. Americans typically speak directly and earnestly, English people generally do not, and in fact my English friends find my direct earnestness both hilarious and borderline distressing. :ROFLMAO:

In the polite English vernacular (implying intentional understatement):
"Well done" means "barely acceptable"
"I have some concerns"
means, "Someone deeply screwed up here"

"Sooo disappointing"
therefore means, "No customer on earth should buy this car, it is broken beyond repair and the company is unredeemable."

See the problem? It's insane for a journalist to have spoken this way about a pre-production vehicle from a company struggling to get back on its feet after years of financial peril, particularly one from his own country.

Last edited:
Yes your opinion. But you continue to defend negative reviews due to the Emira looking so good. Good for you that you are happy to drive and own the equivalent of the Emperors new clothes.
What you seem to fail to understand is that if it doesn't perform as well as it looks then we are looking at the death of an iconic British Racing brand. Which means something to a lot of people.
That's certainly the feeling I get coming out of the EVO camp.
I'm happy to wait for a test drive and if I don't feel that it has enough Lotus DNA in it for me then yes I will happily move on without so much as a backwards glance.
Thanks for your concern.
Are you reading the reviews of the people who are receiving their cars? Emperors new clothes? The Emperor wasn't wearing ANY clothes; that was the point of the fable. The Emira DOESN'T perform as well as it looks, but it's not just a body shell with nothing underneath. It doesn't perform the way it looks because Geely didn't invest the money to make it perform the way it looks. They invested that money (over 10 times as much) into the electric side of things. They wanted to place the Emira at the price point of £59,995 to make it attractive to a much wider section of the market than Lotus has traditionally appealed to. They knew it needed to be more than just relatively inexpensive, so they gave it great looks. The public has reacted accordingly, and they have a winner.

Lotus as an iconic racing brand has been dead for a long time. That pretty much died with Colin Chapman. It became a sports car brand after that, and has been ever since. It still is. The Emira is a sports car, not a racing or track car that they made street legal.

You won't happily move on; it's not in your nature. If not here, you'll be grumpy somewhere. Hopefully you'll stay here though... this place wouldn't be the same without you.

Ugh, why bother. A new test will more likely than not turn out the same. It's not like the engine and gearbox are any different. Maybe the tire / suspension combo will draw some positive comments but that's it. Seems like the wrong move from Lotus, giving EVO way too much relevance