What tire pressure are you running?

Blackthought_

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
On my f- Goodyear eagle tires I run them at 31 front and 33 rear hot and at the top of second gear I feel the rear get a little squirrelly. What tire pressure you guys running at? On my Evora GT I’ve never experienced the rear want to come out but I was in Michelin 4s tires. Perhaps it’s the tire?

At top of 2nd in straight-line?

200 miles to go until I explore top of 2nd, also on goodyears. Will let you know.

I've never heard of checking tire pressure hot.

Is this a Lotus thing? How do you know how hot the tire is?

Matt
Your tire PSI will change from when you first drive the car after it has been sitting overnight to when you drive it around and the tires heat up. They can actually change a lot depending on the road surface and ambient temps. When tracking your car, you want to be in the ideal PSI range to maximize your contact patch and grip. Overinflated tires mean less contact patch. Underinflated tires mean you're using too much of the outer edge of the tire (or even beyond in extreme corners) and it won't be as stiff as it's supposed to be. In racing conditions teams will purposely change tire pressures to manage grip/wear, understeer/oversteer, etc. It matters in the margins unless you are grossly off.

Lotus tells us what cold tire pressure to aim for, but not what hot tire pressure to aim for. This is less important for the street, but still impacts handling and tire wear over time.

Most cars don't have active PSI monitors so you don't know what PSI your tires are. You just know if they are too low (TPMS) or not. You have to physically get out of your car after a few hot laps and measure the PSI, then adjust. In the Emira it updates real time! so it's convenient to know and adjust accordingly.

Your tire PSI will change from when you first drive the car after it has been sitting overnight to when you drive it around and the tires heat up. They can actually change a lot depending on the road surface and ambient temps. When tracking your car, you want to be in the ideal PSI range to maximize your contact patch and grip. Overinflated tires mean less contact patch. Underinflated tires mean you're using too much of the outer edge of the tire (or even beyond in extreme corners) and it won't be as stiff as it's supposed to be. In racing conditions teams will purposely change tire pressures to manage grip/wear, understeer/oversteer, etc. It matters in the margins unless you are grossly off.

Lotus tells us what cold tire pressure to aim for, but not what hot tire pressure to aim for. This is less important for the street, but still impacts handling and tire wear over time.

Most cars don't have active PSI monitors so you don't know what PSI your tires are. You just know if they are too low (TPMS) or not. You have to physically get out of your car after a few hot laps and measure the PSI, then adjust. In the Emira it updates real time! so it's convenient to know and adjust accordingly.
Ok 👌
What are the tire pressure for cold Goodyear tires?

Just because my Emira shows tire pressure to the tenth of a PSI doesn't mean it's accurate to within a tenth of a PSI.

When I have more free time, I'll measure the car's reading against a really good pressure gauge. And do it cold.

Matt

Ok 👌
What are the tire pressure for cold Goodyear tires?
It's printed on the inside of your driver side door. I think it is the same for either tire, 29 F and 32 R cold. You could check and see if it's different for the GYs. I doubt it.

I am also guessing that recommended tire pressures are more related to safety and tire wear vs performance orientation.

It's printed on the inside of your driver side door. I think it is the same for either tire, 29 F and 32 R cold. You could check and see if it's different for the GYs. I doubt it.

I am also guessing that recommended tire pressures are more related to safety and tire wear vs performance orientation.
That’s what the dealership communicated today to me ☺️

1720014693014.png

I never plan to exceed 167 mph so I guess high speed tire pressure doesn't apply? I'm guessing this is more of an autobahn thing. I've never gotten close to 167 mph on a track either.