• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Wheels rocks chips

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Sorry maybe dumb question. My car has 900 miles, and I've already discovered a few little rock chips on my black gloss wheels. I have Michelin Cup 2s, which I know are stickier than Goodyears, but does anyone have experience with them on non-Cup 2 tires?

I have 8K miles - and have a couple.. plus what I would call 'road rash' - I think it's having gloss black wheels. I did take the Lotus UK 'Wheel repair' insurance which I will likely use

Runs to check on my wheels...

Edit: No chips so far, knock on wood. But I may be missing small ones under that thick pillowy blanket of brake dust.

Last edited:
Runs to check on my wheels...

Edit: No chips so far, knock on wood. But I may be missing small ones under that thick pillowy blanket of brake dust.
Yeah . I think it’s a wheel design. I get it .
- always had some imperfections on my sports cars specifically wheels but I never had glos black wheels so after I wash them I can see new one every time

I have the same unfortunately

Sorry maybe dumb question. My car has 900 miles, and I've already discovered a few little rock chips on my black gloss wheels. I have Michelin Cup 2s, which I know are stickier than Goodyears, but does anyone have experience with them on non-Cup 2 tires?

I have the same unfortunately
Have Cup2s, black wheels, 1500 miles no chips. This may be simply a factor where the car is operated, generally smooth, gravel free roads in Florida. I also early on installed front stone guards as I only covered front of car with Expel. Originally used carbon fiber ones from England but didn’t like the fit or size. Made my own based on a dramatically cut down Rallyart version and it works great- no chips on rear fenders or wheels

Have Cup2s, black wheels, 1500 miles no chips. This may be simply a factor where the car is operated, generally smooth, gravel free roads in Florida. I also early on installed front stone guards as I only covered front of car with Expel. Originally used carbon fiber ones from England but didn’t like the fit or size. Made my own based on a dramatically cut down Rallyart version and it works great- no chips on rear fenders or wheels
I have guards from England . I also have my car full ppf as well . I’m not driving into gravel roads . All chips I got are from normal driving

2700 Miles a few scratches. No chips yet. I did ceramic coat the wheels with less than 300 miles maybe that helps 🤔

Mines going to be trucked to my garage to be stripped and rebuilt. Then fifteen miles to the detailing shop. My biggest threat is windshield breakage. I'm getting the stek later for that 🤷🏻‍♂️. But plenty of rocks here and still no great options for rock guards. Just the AP plastic sheets. Wish we could get better aftermarket support.

Mines going to be trucked to my garage to be stripped and rebuilt. Then fifteen miles to the detailing shop. My biggest threat is windshield breakage. I'm getting the stek later for that 🤷🏻‍♂️. But plenty of rocks here and still no great options for rock guards. Just the AP plastic sheets. Wish we could get better aftermarket supporti got

I got ap guards , whole body PPF / ceramic on top / not driving on gravel roads and still got small chips on my black wheels . In next few k miles if they going to be really bad I’ll powder coat them

Mines going to be trucked to my garage to be stripped and rebuilt. Then fifteen miles to the detailing shop. My biggest threat is windshield breakage. I'm getting the stek later for that 🤷🏻‍♂️. But plenty of rocks here and still no great options for rock guards. Just the AP plastic sheets. Wish we could get better aftermarket support.
That’s my last todo. Windshield protection it is like PPF but really prevents rock chips.