• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

When is the V6 going to be discontinued???

Emiro

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the v6 engine will only be used by Lotus for some years due to regulations / emissions. If so, does anyone know when will this happen? What are the specific regulations named? Any references? Any experts want to comment on this? imagine that Lotus may continue the Emira production with the i4 engine thereafter, but my main question is for how many years the Emira V6 will be in production, especially with the current delays. Thanks

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
It is my understanding that the v6 engine will only be used by Lotus for some years due to regulations / emissions. If so, does anyone know when will this happen? What are the specific regulations named? Any references? Any experts want to comment on this? imagine that Lotus may continue the Emira production with the i4 engine thereafter, but my main question is for how many years the Emira V6 will be in production, especially with the current delays. Thanks
The EU7 regs have just been changed in Europe so technically it could continue here until at least 2030...

duff

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The Euro 7 regulations which are due to come into effect in 2026.
These were expected to demand significant improvements in emissions but they are not yet defined and the latest suggestions are that they have been watered down so that the won’t impact existing Euro 6 compliant petrol engines.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
The plans Lotus had prior to the Emira launch were based around the EU7 emissions regulations coming into effect in 2025/6, which is now under review and likely to change.

In theory Lotus could continue selling the V6 after EU7, in markets where it still meets regulations and isn't heavily taxed. But the V6 is already eye-wateringly expensive to tax in places like France, hence the push for the i4.

Lotus knew the V6 would become non-compliant under EU7, as Toyota weren't going to re-engineer it. The i4 will also be non-compliant but AMG have confirmed to Lotus they will update it to comply.

As part of the wider Lotus strategy, their EV sportscar (Type 135) was due to launch in 2025/6. That would have started phasing in at the same time as the V6 phased out. The intention is to build both Emira and Type 135 at Hethel, so the assumption was to build V6 and i4 until 2026, then drop V6 and continue i4 alongside Type 135, then eventually drop i4 and build only Type 135 once ICE sales stop. All this already depended on sales volumes and development timeframes, which are now also being revised alongside the change to EU7 timing.

Wake

Reaction score
I had sorta thought that the V6 would be phased out slightly earlier given the potential power figures achievable on the AMG unit. I had thought the consensus was that the V6 had reached relative peak performance whilst maintaining reliability but Radford seem to have got quite a lot more out of it. Not sure how reliably though

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I guess Lotus could be tempted to do a GT430 V6 Final Edition - it's already proven at that power level. But yes, if they want to unleash more of the AMG then retiring the V6 before boosting the AMG over 400hp makes more sense.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Just wanted to confirm from EU/UK friends - Euro 7 is confirmed to start July 1 2025?

Lotus is already giving delivery times into Q2 2024 for V6 F/E, does not leave much time for a Base or Final/GT version.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Anyways…

Is Toyota really going to continue to sell Lotus the 2GR-FE past 2025 let alone 2030? The last non-lotus car Toyota put that engine in was the Previa in 2019.

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Anyways…

Is Toyota really going to continue to sell Lotus the 2GR-FE past 2025 let alone 2030? The last non-lotus car Toyota put that engine in was the Previa in 2019.
A version of that engine is still being used in Lexus ES, IS and a few other Toyota products overseas.... They will produce it for 3 more years and then done, IMO. Looks like the V6 days are numbered sooner than I hoped.