• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Who here has tracked their Emira?

Blackthought_

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone here track their Emira? If so, did you track the car 100% stock or did you upgrade parts? Particularly interested if you changed out the brake fluid, pads, tires, etc.

I tracked it at the factory, and started smoking the brakes after about 10 minutes. The instructor made me do a cooldown lap mid session. If you push hard it will need higher temp brake pads and DOT5.1 fluid is always a good idea. Thankfully the AP hardware seem plenty big and there are lots of pad options available for it. I was surprised to learn that the rotors are not two piece, but bi-metal single piece.

I have tracked my car 3 times since delivery in March…I did not change the brake fluid, since it was delivered with high-temp brake fluid. Brake pads still have plenty of life. As for tires, the Cup2s are great track tires, but after 3 track days and 3000 road miles they are nearing the end of their lives.

Attachments

• IMG_9064.jpeg
    IMG_9064.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9060.jpeg
    IMG_9060.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 61
I have tracked my car 3 times since delivery in March…I did not change the brake fluid, since it was delivered with high-temp brake fluid. Brake pads still have plenty of life. As for tires, the Cup2s are great track tires, but after 3 track days and 3000 road miles they are nearing the end of their lives.
What track(s)?

As for me, I picked up my car in March at Holman in St Louis. I attended an HPDE in May at Ozarks international Raceway which I detailed here.

I didn't change anything in the car, just hopped in and drove. Couldn't be happier with how it performed (Touring/Eagle F1s).

I signed up a few weeks ago for another HPDE at the same track next month, can't wait.

What track(s)?

As for me, I picked up my car in March at Holman in St Louis. I attended an HPDE in May at Ozarks international Raceway which I detailed here.

I didn't change anything in the car, just hopped in and drove. Couldn't be happier with how it performed (Touring/Eagle F1s).

I signed up a few weeks ago for another HPDE at the same track next month, can't wait.
Thanks, I'm also Touring/F1s and was curious. HPDE is probably as far as I would go with this car since I have more dedicated track cars, but it would be nice to give it a workout.

I tracked it at the factory, and started smoking the brakes after about 10 minutes. The instructor made me do a cooldown lap mid session. If you push hard it will need higher temp brake pads and DOT5.1 fluid is always a good idea. Thankfully the AP hardware seem plenty big and there are lots of pad options available for it. I was surprised to learn that the rotors are not two piece, but bi-metal single piece.
Always a fan of track pads, but DOT 5.1 is massively overkill IMO.

If you are boiling DOT4, you have more to worry about than just the fluid!

So interest enough I found the dot4 that lotus uses per the manual (pentosin super dot4). Looks like it’s about standard fluid for daily/autocross but looks like a few members have been able to use it on track without upgrading the fluid.
IMG_3355.png

What track(s)?

Blackhawk Farms & Gingerman

Thanks, I'm also Touring/F1s and was curious. HPDE is probably as far as I would go with this car since I have more dedicated track cars, but it would be nice to give it a workout.
I’ve done 2 HDPEs and one private track day in the Emira…I also have more dedicated track cars, but the Emira is fun to exercise!

Always a fan of track pads, but DOT 5.1 is massively overkill IMO.

If you are boiling DOT4, you have more to worry about than just the fluid!
The point is that there is no downside, you can't have overkill on temp margin. When it is time to change the fluid, spend one extra dollar and upgrade to 5.1. Race fluids are even better, but the cost ramps up exponentially.

The point is that there is no downside, you can't have overkill on temp margin. When it is time to change the fluid, spend one extra dollar and upgrade to 5.1. Race fluids are even better, but the cost ramps up exponentially.
To each his own of course. In my view, the extra margin isn’t only entirely unnecessary, it’s not costless - the 5.1 is more hygroscopic, which can work exactly against the temp-induced fade we’re all looking to prevent.

To each his own of course. In my view, the extra margin isn’t only entirely unnecessary, it’s not costless - the 5.1 is more hygroscopic, which can work exactly against the temp-induced fade we’re all looking to prevent.
It is slightly more hydroscopic, but the "wet" boiling point remains much higher. Fluid can and does get boiled on track days. The car comes with street optimised fluid, just like it comes with street optimised pads. DOT3&4 are meant to last years until the first brake pad change on a street car. It will work on track until it doesn't and then you might as well upgrade to 5.1

Also PSA, use fluid from a sealed bottle every time.

It is slightly more hydroscopic, but the "wet" boiling point remains much higher. Fluid can and does get boiled on track days. The car comes with street optimised fluid, just like it comes with street optimised pads. DOT3&4 are meant to last years until the first brake pad change on a street car. It will work on track until it doesn't and then you might as well upgrade to 5.1

I’ve always run motul 600 or 660. I’m surprised that our stock fluid is similar to BMW stock given that our cars come with AP racing brakes. That fluid can get cooked on a track.

I agree with you on changing the fluid on our cars before a serious track day, based on the table above (and always using fresh bottles).

I’ve genuinely not heard of anyone prioritising DOT 5.1 fluid so I did a quick search - and it turns out that despite RBF600 being rated a DOT 4, its boiling points are actually far higher than 5.1. So the DOT rating is not particularly relevant, and we should be looking at the actual boiling points. There are many track day-appropriate fluids that are DOT 4-rated.

I agree with you on changing the fluid on our cars before a serious track day, based on the table above (and always using fresh bottles).

I’ve genuinely not heard of anyone prioritising DOT 5.1 fluid so I did a quick search - and it turns out that despite RBF600 being rated a DOT 4, its boiling points are actually far higher than 5.1. So the DOT rating is not particularly relevant, and we should be looking at the actual boiling points. There are many track day-appropriate fluids that are DOT 4-rated.
Many racing fluids are rated DOT3/DOT4. I've always assumed this is to make it clear to consumers that it is compatible with their cars. They can label it that way because those only indicate a minimum standard and they are way above it. High temp fluid of your choice is a good answer. Off the shelf DOT5.1 fluid is going to be the most economical high temp fluid and is what I use even in my endurance racing cars.

Many racing fluids are rated DOT3/DOT4. I've always assumed this is to make it clear to consumers that it is compatible with their cars. They can label it that way because those only indicate a minimum standard and they are way above it. High temp fluid of your choice is a good answer. Off the shelf DOT5.1 fluid is going to be the most economical high temp fluid and is what I use even in my endurance racing cars.
It appears the reason - at least in RBF600’s case - is the viscosity at very low temps is slightly too high to meet DOT 5.1 requirements. Obviously the stuff we care about ie boiling points well exceeds.

Back