• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Who's driven a MT Aston Martin Vantage? Looking for feedback.

My old shape vantage was bullet proof.

Couple of extended warranty issues fixed quickly and without quibble

Servicing around 2k average over 7 years of ownership. Often only 1k but once it was 5 when I needed suspension and brakes (not main dealer)

New cars come with .5 years free servicing.

My 4 yr old car lost 29k in value over 7 years but I sold at the bottom of the market

I’d say inc depreciation it cost me 5k per year. One of the cheapest decent cars I’ve owned ! Of course the new model costs 1/3 more to buy…
Dunno about UK, in the US, Aston's do not hold their value well... outside of Manual V12's in the Vantage line. Advantage for buying used though.

Appreciate the real world feedback! I like the big grill personally, but the headlights are a little small. Overall it's still a beautiful car! I'll see if I can get behind the wheel of one and report back with my own opinion.
Yes, definitely interested to hear your opinion. Being a front engine car it will drive differently, but I think they are still very capable road cars that are going to be more capable than their drivers in 8/10's situations.

If that's a Manual Vantage you are looking at, is it the first couple model years of the new car, or an AMR version (the last Manuals)? Aston has abandoned manuals, so if its a car from the first few years, definitely hit those Aston Forums to find out about known issues to look out for.

If that's a Manual Vantage you are looking at, is it the first couple model years of the new car, or an AMR version (the last Manuals)? Aston has abandoned manuals, so if its a car from the first few years, definitely hit those Aston Forums to find out about known issues to look out for.

Correct. I think it's just the 2019-2021 hardtop coupe Vantages that were offered with 3 pedals.

I'll give it a try. I've never been a big fan of Merc engines though honestly. I've had some bad experiences, but maybe the newer AMG versions are better? One of the main attractions to Lotus for me is the Toyota powertrain. Proven reliable and fairly simple and inexpensive to work on.

I'll poke around the Aston forums and see what some common issues are.

I recommend this book if you’re getting serious

I bought an earlier edition and it has all the recent cars and their problems and things to look out for when buying

Correct. I think it's just the 2019-2021 hardtop coupe Vantages that were offered with 3 pedals.

I'll give it a try. I've never been a big fan of Merc engines though honestly. I've had some bad experiences, but maybe the newer AMG versions are better? One of the main attractions to Lotus for me is the Toyota powertrain. Proven reliable and fairly simple and inexpensive to work on.

I'll poke around the Aston forums and see what some common issues are.
Agreed. The reliability was a draw for me. Seems strange to link lotus with reliability though 🤔

I recommend this book if you’re getting serious

I bought an earlier edition and it has all the recent cars and their problems and things to look out for when buying
Ha! You beat me to this book suggestion! I also haven't been a big fan of AMG engines, but I hear good things about the one in the Vantage. Also Aston tuned the exhaust to help it not sound so "farty" in their implementation.

The new one is ballistic compared to the old and much more alive

Agree still more of a gt though
Ii did the NC500 in one and it handled everything we threw at it. I then drove home through the Dales in it on a lovely warm day across roads I know intimately and I've never driven so quickly in my life, it was mind bending to me at least. Only my friends 991.1 911 GT3 has proved more mind bending in that sense.

Modern Vantages are very solid, ie the ones with the Merc powertrain. But they are heavy.....typically 200kg more than Aston claim.....some reviewers took them to weighbridges.

However, if you hanker after a trad English bruiser then they are OK. The V12 manual, from around 2012, with twin clutch plates is very special.

The cabin is full of buttons and old school mens club ambience. I think the Cup holder is designed to hold a glass of malt.

Modern Vantages are very solid, ie the ones with the Merc powertrain. But they are heavy.....typically 200kg more than Aston claim.....some reviewers took them to weighbridges.

However, if you hanker after a trad English bruiser then they are OK. The V12 manual, from around 2012, with twin clutch plates is very special.

The cabin is full of buttons and old school mens club ambience. I think the Cup holder is designed to hold a glass of malt.
Whereas the Emira cup holders are for WD40!

Here’s my Aston. Not really a fan of taking car photos although I enjoy looking at others. It’s cinnabar orange and is very hard to capture. Overall I think the lines of the new Vantage are hard to capture in a photo. In real life, the cars have a lot of presence and the grill is more subtle. I fell in love with the looks of the car at first sight. These are the original launch wheels. They are pretty rare. I really like them in real life even if they look a bit “hot wheels” in photos. The 3D is lost in photos.

I drove a three pedal car. In general, I am a fan of MTs but for the Vantage I wasn’t wowed. It’s more GT than sports car to me.

Attachments

• 624533D7-17CB-4C8A-9F61-29218E636C24.jpeg
    624533D7-17CB-4C8A-9F61-29218E636C24.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 79
Here’s my Aston. Not really a fan of taking car photos although I enjoy looking at others. It’s cinnabar orange and is very hard to capture. Overall I think the lines of the new Vantage are hard to capture in a photo. In real life, the cars have a lot of presence and the grill is more subtle. I fell in love with the looks of the car at first sight. These are the original launch wheels. They are pretty rare. I really like them in real life even if they look a bit “hot wheels” in photos. The 3D is lost in photos.

I drove a three pedal car. In general, I am a fan of MTs but for the Vantage I wasn’t wowed. It’s more GT than sports car to me.

Stunning! You don't happen to live in the West Chester, PA area do you? This looks identical to the spec I saw last night!

I live in CT. As we know with Astons, depreciation is a bit much so I bought my car second hand with 2000 miles on it. Like Porsche, when you know what options you want and are picky, finding the right spec second hand is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I ended up buying my car in Canada and shipping it because of the options. There was a cinnabar one available 150 miles away at the time but it didn’t have the black roof and it had Alcantara interior ( which I didn’t want because my Porsche had Alcantara). I really wanted leather with orange stitching. Options on an Aston are about 2x that for a Porsche. Just painting the brake calipers black is like $1600. It’s all a little nuts.

At first, I wasn’t sure about the wheels. I preferred the AMR wheels in photos. I asked the dealer about ordering the new wheels and it was about $25,000 US…mounted (LOL) but no new tires. WTF… you can buy a Toyota for that price. Anyway, I’ve subsequently seen the AMR wheels in the flesh and I find they sort of get lost. They look great in photos but in real life you might not even notice them. They are more subtle.

My wife doesn’t seem enamored by the Vantage. I think the Emira will be more to her liking. It feels smaller and isn’t as brutal power wise. She has a 987 Boxster S MT that she loves to death. I can see why. It’s a wonderful top down back road car that you can occasionally wind out without being a total hooligan.

I’ve driven the AMR manual and the best part about it was saying the word “dogleg”. Other than that I found it clunky and meh. I’m glad I got the auto for this particular car.

I’ll say I liked the Emira manual better the Vantage. I usual don’t have an issue with stick cars. I adapt rather quickly to the clutch and gearshift. I’ve owned lots of sticks and have never once said “ Save the Manuals” I usually own a few so don’t feel I need to get dogmatic or dreamy about it. Hell, I drove a manual BMW X3 for 13 years, because I couldn’t find another stick SUV I wanted to own. Finally, grudgingly broke down and bought a Macan with a PDK…the first auto my wife and I have owned in 20 years.

Anyway, not all cars were meant to be manuals. (eg I had a B7 RS4 for 12 years and often felt that car just wanted to be a paddle shift. The stick was fine but my mind kept thinking it wanted a paddle.). I feel the same about the Vantage. Not to mention, the shift knob is OTT ugly..WTF was Aston thinking!

And in terms of repair costs and service in the US, just figure 2x Porsche and you won’t be far off.

Last edited:
Stroll’s been talking about the new lineup for over a year. The problem is that he is so prone to hyperbole that I don’t think anybody has any clue what to expect.

In short he as said, “Aston won’t make any more cheap crappy cars and the new cars will be the ultimate ultra luxury brand offerings with new…everything”. No one has been able to pin him down on specifics.

I’m thinking they are going to be nice, but the previous generation Vantage owners who are still suffering from sticker shock in the new Vantage are going to go into double sticker shock. Seems like most prior Aston customers still want the prior Matruska doll model where they feel like they are getting the top car lookalike for half price ( ie DBS for Vantage money) or they are expecting something like the Ferrari Roma for half price from Aston. Never going to happen. If Stroll makes a true Roma competitor, it will be Roma money.

Well, that’s my guess anyway. I’m excited to see where this goes.

Stroll’s been talking about the new lineup for over a year. The problem is that he is so prone to hyperbole that I don’t think anybody has any clue what to expect.

In short he as said, “Aston won’t make any more cheap crappy cars and the new cars will be the ultimate ultra luxury brand offerings with new…everything”. No one has been able to pin him down on specifics.

I’m thinking they are going to be nice, but the previous generation Vantage owners who are still suffering from sticker shock in the new Vantage are going to go into double sticker shock. Seems like most prior Aston customers still want the prior Matruska doll model where they feel like they are getting the top car lookalike for half price ( ie DBS for Vantage money) or they are expecting something like the Ferrari Roma for half price from Aston. Never going to happen. If Stroll makes a true Roma competitor, it will be Roma money.

Well, that’s my guess anyway. I’m excited to see where this goes.
The important thing is that the car business fares better than the F1 team. Poor Alonso will likely be frustrated after a few races of being in the midfield.

The important thing is that the car business fares better than the F1 team. Poor Alonso will likely be frustrated after a few races of being in the midfield.
You HAD to bring up the F1 team. Now you are just depressing me!

Last edited:
Back