Won't start half the time

It was me. Dec 2022 registered car so presumably Nov build. Still running 100% fine after reverting back to the old software, so that was my issue. It sounds like there are a couple of other types of similar issue out there so not necessarily all the same. However if it started happening after dealer visit / software update then it is same. January for a fix was what I was last quoted
Absolutely spot on!

This is definitely software related. I had never experienced this pre software update in October 2023..... (I had driven around 2k miles before the new update).

However.....

Yesterday.... the car seemed to be having a moment...

I sat in the car and pressed the start button... The car literally showed me no sign of wanting to start. (Tried this around 3 times)

Rather than panic.... I got out the car and locked the car with fob and walked away for around 5 mins.

Then I returned..... and it started with no issues.

I am willing to eat my own hand if this is not software related 😀

It was me. Dec 2022 registered car so presumably Nov build. Still running 100% fine after reverting back to the old software, so that was my issue. It sounds like there are a couple of other types of similar issue out there so not necessarily all the same. However if it started happening after dealer visit / software update then it is same. January for a fix was what I was last quoted
Thanks, same here, supposedly fix coming in Jan

I find when it doesn’t start I just lock the doors while I’m in the car wait until I hear the fuel cap lock as a time measure then wait a further 5 seconds foot in the brake press starter button works every time.

Proper pain but mine cures it self after driving on long trips then comes back from time to time which is weird.

Car booked in early Jan to be looked at. Only issue is if the fault doesn’t replicate itself while in the dealer hands it doesn’t get logged with Lotus.

Again frustrating.

I find when it doesn’t start I just lock the doors while I’m in the car wait until I hear the fuel cap lock as a time measure then wait a further 5 seconds foot in the brake press starter button works every time.

Proper pain but mine cures it self after driving on long trips then comes back from time to time which is weird.

Car booked in early Jan to be looked at. Only issue is if the fault doesn’t replicate itself while in the dealer hands it doesn’t get logged with Lotus.

Again frustrating.
Glad that works for you. Unfortunately doesn't work for me!

Hi Brains trust,

My car won't start about 50% of the time. Reading the forums, this seems to be unique to my car, as it's not just on cold start. Perhaps it's because mine is a v6 auto? It seems completely random to me. Here are my observations:

- Not just on cold start. On warm start too after driving a while.
- It's not a spluttery start. When I press the button, all the dashboard lights come on as if it's starting, but then the engine doesn't start.
- Does not appear to related to oil temperature. Can drive for two minutes or twenty minutes. Once I turn it off, and try to turn it back on again, it won't start.
- Happens about half the time I try to start
- It starts after a waiting period of between one minute and five minutes after I attempt to start it. Average wait time is between two and three minutes. Having to wait one or five minutes is a bit more rare, usually it's two to three minutes
- Does not seem to be related to the duration of time since last successful start. Eg starting the car after three days of no driving, or starting the car straight after turning it off.
- Started happening after about 500 kilometres in. I've done about 2000km now.
- Happens when the car is parked at all kinds of different angles, on a hill facing backward or forward, slanting sideways
- Had the spluttering start five to ten times too, though somehow my gut says this isn't related.

Things I've tried with no success:
- Changing fuel from Shell to BP (dealer suggestion)
- Holding ignition for 5 seconds, waiting a ten more seconds and then starting
- Getting out of the car, locking it, entering the car again (dealer suggestion)
- Tried parking it at all kinds of angles

Any ideas?
Return the car. Wholly unacceptable and should be replaced or money refunded.

Hi Brains trust,

My car won't start about 50% of the time. Reading the forums, this seems to be unique to my car, as it's not just on cold start. Perhaps it's because mine is a v6 auto? It seems completely random to me. Here are my observations:

- Not just on cold start. On warm start too after driving a while.
- It's not a spluttery start. When I press the button, all the dashboard lights come on as if it's starting, but then the engine doesn't start.
- Does not appear to related to oil temperature. Can drive for two minutes or twenty minutes. Once I turn it off, and try to turn it back on again, it won't start.
- Happens about half the time I try to start
- It starts after a waiting period of between one minute and five minutes after I attempt to start it. Average wait time is between two and three minutes. Having to wait one or five minutes is a bit more rare, usually it's two to three minutes
- Does not seem to be related to the duration of time since last successful start. Eg starting the car after three days of no driving, or starting the car straight after turning it off.
- Started happening after about 500 kilometres in. I've done about 2000km now.
- Happens when the car is parked at all kinds of different angles, on a hill facing backward or forward, slanting sideways
- Had the spluttering start five to ten times too, though somehow my gut says this isn't related.

Things I've tried with no success:
- Changing fuel from Shell to BP (dealer suggestion)
- Holding ignition for 5 seconds, waiting a ten more seconds and then starting
- Getting out of the car, locking it, entering the car again (dealer suggestion)
- Tried parking it at all kinds of angles

Any ideas?
Mine is an V6 Auto, built June and I have not had any issues you seem to be having. Car has done 1400 miles. I did get the brake service message and no start until lock the car/ unlock etc, but that appears to have disappeared
1704218901859.png

The car had some software updates back in Sept but that's all. So I tend to agree I think your issues seem to be unique.

So this happened to me as I was trying to disembark the Spirit of Tasmania ferry over the week. Took 4 attempts before it fired up. Super embarrassing to hold up all the cars behind me from exiting the ferry
Good job these cars don’t have the stop start feature that many models have today.

I also have this issue which happened after a software update when it went in for the wiper motor recall in October. It is definatly as software issue Lotus are aware of and trying to resolve.
When im at home i unlock my car and lock agian from inside my house, pack bag, put shoes on then go outside and it starts first time. Before I realised this worked i just lock myslef in and wait 5 seconds after the orange light on the door lock goes off (Approx 1.5min), then unlock, open/shut door and start.

Both these work for me but I'm not too worried, I see it as an extra level of security. Thieves wont hang about if it wont start!

Reactions: ADC
I had the same issue. It happened maybe around 3000km. I plugged out the battery for a dozen of seconds and plug the battery in again. Then no problem any longer. I suspect a firmware issue.
When I had my car at 500km, the loud speakers did not work also; the mechanic did the same to fix the issue. That s why I had this idea.
Hope this helps !!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back