• The July 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 July 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

100% import tariff on Chinese-made cars in USA

That's because most of them are paid hacks.

Lots of quiet about the Taycan after the initial glowing reviews, remember?
Completely agree.... Very rare for me to see a bad review on any Porsche product.

Lotus / Chinese EV's can survive the EU tariff rate. Lotus is imposed at 20% - This will impact the bottom line but not put them out of business. So for Europe and UK, Lotus EV's will be going full steam ahead with there plans. I also believe (based on the Tarrif situation) when Hethel starts producing the new EV sports car, which won't have a tariff, it will further reduce it's tariff amount in EU for the Chinese EV's.

The issue we have in North America is the 100% tariff. - Sorry but I can't see Lotus changing course on powertrains just for us. EU and Asia are very large markets. It makes more sense to continue with EV and leave North American market until they build a new plant outside of China.

While I agree that BEV's is not the sole solution to getting rid if gas powered vehicles (Hydrogen, Hybrid etc.) it will be the main source of vehicles going forward in the EU/Asia. That is just a fact. Which is not exactly small markets. Lotus will be just fine outside of North America. There are plenty of successful car brands that have never sold a car in the US/CAN.

The only thing that saves Lotus in N/A is a production plant outside of china. Personally, I think Lotus going full EV was a good choice for the brand. They were never going to compete with ICE models against DBX, Urus, Purosangue, Cayenne, Macan, SQ8 etc.- The Eletre for a high performance EV looks the part and can platform share with Geely's best EV tech. We have to be honest with ourselves, the Chinese are ahead of everyone when it comes it EV's and their platforms. At least at the moment.

Once Solid state battery's arrive to market, probably in 2028-2030 it will completely change the EV landscape. Imagine 800 Miles of range per charge, 10-20 mins to an 80% charge and 1/2 the weight of current batter standards. It will be revolutionary.

Any tariff imposed is against the affordability of an average person.........meaning it's no longer a democratic country where the people vote for a Government to provide a higher standard of living. People as consumer have their right to choose and buy not dictated by the Government that imposes tariff and the money earned from the tariff may end up in Politian’s pockets.

I was referring to auto journalists once they test any Porsche EV.

Yes, us enthusiasts would not be overly excited for any EV sports car. Too heavy.

Was just trying to say that there is bias in auto news against anything Chinese EV at the moment - unfortunate for Lotus. If they were building all the EV’s in the UK I get the feeling it would have a different sentiment behind it. I think Eletre is a good EV SUV, especially for the bargains Lotus is handing out in the UK.
Remember for the last 40 years the US Gov passed a US$ half million bill year-on-year to train agent and journalist how to negative China, if the political system in US is that good then this shouldn’t be needed!

Back