• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

18 inch wheels

Speedy Emira

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m interested to know if anyone has bought a set of 18 inch wheels and maybe the 305 width tyres like the GT4s have. I understand on standard suspension it’s probably not going to be perfect due to the suspension effect of higher profile tyres.
The other thing I’d be interested to know if if the combination of tyre and rim is lower than on the 20 inch set for the same brands and models.

I’m interested to know if anyone has bought a set of 18 inch wheels and maybe the 305 width tyres like the GT4s have. I understand on standard suspension it’s probably not going to be perfect due to the suspension effect of higher profile tyres.
The other thing I’d be interested to know if if the combination of tyre and rim is lower than on the 20 inch set for the same brands and models.
Haven’t bought them, but there is a tuning shop in China that offers 18s for the Emira and they work with OEM brakes. 9” wide on the front, 11 on the back with 265 and 305.

Attachments

• 243e4460bd2499d663d68b8dc5f8c46d.jpeg
    243e4460bd2499d663d68b8dc5f8c46d.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 10be06644faaf444397d48bd87f7f75c.jpeg
    10be06644faaf444397d48bd87f7f75c.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 61
I thought 18's wouldn't work as they won't clear the parking brake actuator.

Curious. What is the benefit here if you’re going to maintain the overall wheel height?

Less weight? Cheaper tires? Different suspension setup using higher profile tires?

Curious. What is the benefit here if you’re going to maintain the overall wheel height?

Less weight? Cheaper tires? Different suspension setup using higher profile tires?
Smaller wheels and more tire sidewall will give you a more cushy ride. Also less likely to damage wheels on potholes and stuff. And tires are cheaper usually

I thought 18's wouldn't work as they won't clear the parking brake actuator.
This tuner shop says their 18s work with OEM brakes. They are custom designed to clear everything. They are wider too, 9” front and 11” rear. They run 265 and 305 tyres.

Last edited:

Others who are more knowledgeable about this can chime in, but tires with some healthy amount of side wall is better for performance driving on a race track. The flex of the tire allows it to bite the road better and absorb shocks and transitions that would cause a shorter/stiffer tire to break traction.

Take a look at the rear tire of a top fuel dragster - all that sidewall twists during acceleration to help the tire maintain traction.

This tuner shop says their 18s work with OEM brakes. They are custom designed to clear everything. They are wider too, 9” front and 11” rear. They run 265 and 305 tyres.
Have they checked the parking brake? I checked the other day and i’m not sure many 18” wheels will work. The GT4 car probably works because I’m guessing it doesn’t have an electric parking brake.

Others who are more knowledgeable about this can chime in, but tires with some healthy amount of side wall is better for performance driving on a race track. The flex of the tire allows it to bite the road better and absorb shocks and transitions that would cause a shorter/stiffer tire to break traction.

Take a look at the rear tire of a top fuel dragster - all that sidewall twists during acceleration to help the tire maintain traction.
This is what I was led to believe and for cars with a lot of power it would increase acceleration. I guess it’s like a lesser effect that a drag car tyre gives.

This thread was a bit of test to see if anyone has done it and I’d be interested to see if it improves performance in any way. There must be something in this or the GT4 would surely have 20s wouldn’t it?
I have spoken with a tuner yesterday and they said on standard suspension it is likely to corner worse and you would need coil overs to compensate on the overall stiffness.

I’d still be interested to know the wheel and tyre combination weight difference which could help like lighter wheels or CCBs.

Last edited:
Have they checked the parking brake? I checked the other day and i’m not sure many 18” wheels will work. The GT4 car probably works because I’m guessing it doesn’t have an electric parking brake.
I wonder what it has then Kitkat because they they must have something for when parked.

i will check specifically regards the parking brake. Agreed, that parking brake assembly is the highest point and there isn’t that much clearance. These pics do show the 18s fitted on what appears the standard brakes:unsure::unsure:

Attachments

• ff0cd8bba41ad9bd6a47950dec7398fa.jpeg
    ff0cd8bba41ad9bd6a47950dec7398fa.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 4436eea3176a9657c7cbb40751003bbe.jpeg
    4436eea3176a9657c7cbb40751003bbe.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 11
18s do indeed have more sidewall, there are of course additional "flex" conditions which occur with a taller sidewall, but not all tire-sidewalls are created equal.

For a real 'race tire' it should have a stiff sidewall, you dont want the tire flopping over when you turn the wheel, you don't want the kind of squirm you'd see on a dragster, and they really only achieve those big sidewall wrinkles because of the low tire pressures they run.

For the Emira GT4, I wouldn't say that they run 18s for any 'special' reason that its entirely better from a physics or performance point of view. It could be a GT4 Class limitation on spec tires, it could be for the same reason there are people interested here, that 18's is just a more common size to find performance tires.

I know cars heavier than the Emira run 18s, like GT Classed Nissan GT-Rs. Not sure if everyone is just managing brake temps with better ducting, if the heavier cars are just resigning themselves to having poorer brake performance, HP is also limited in these classes so they dont see as high top speeds to brake from? They throw out rotors after every race because they've absolutely roasted them?

Not sure what the right combination of answers is here. But it does seem they have the stock rear e-brake tucked in under the 18. Honestly, it looks good. (Just looking at the wheel/tire package, not the biggest fan of the wheel design itself) It makes me highly tempted to find a Carbon Ceramic that could work under an 18inch wheel.

i will check specifically regards the parking brake. Agreed, that parking brake assembly is the highest point and there isn’t that much clearance. These pics do show the 18s fitted on what appears the standard brakes:unsure::unsure:
I guess if you get them to fit the tyre choice would be limited.

I guess if you get them to fit the tyre choice would be limited.
For 18s?

Not that there is any apparent lack for 20 inch tires for road cars. But 18 is a whole different level of options.

Falken RT615K - 18's max size
Falken 660 - 19's max size
Bridgestone RE-71RS - Only 1 Size 285/30/20
Hankook Ventus R-S4 - 19 Max diameter
Toyo Proxies R1R - Max Size 18
Kumho Ecsta V730 - Max Size 19
BF Goodrich Rival S 1.5 - Max Size 19

There are some, like Advan who make some 20 sizes and of course Michelin Sport Cup 2s.

18s do indeed have more sidewall, there are of course additional "flex" conditions which occur with a taller sidewall, but not all tire-sidewalls are created equal.

For a real 'race tire' it should have a stiff sidewall, you dont want the tire flopping over when you turn the wheel, you don't want the kind of squirm you'd see on a dragster, and they really only achieve those big sidewall wrinkles because of the low tire pressures they run.

For the Emira GT4, I wouldn't say that they run 18s for any 'special' reason that its entirely better from a physics or performance point of view. It could be a GT4 Class limitation on spec tires, it could be for the same reason there are people interested here, that 18's is just a more common size to find performance tires.

I know cars heavier than the Emira run 18s, like GT Classed Nissan GT-Rs. Not sure if everyone is just managing brake temps with better ducting, if the heavier cars are just resigning themselves to having poorer brake performance, HP is also limited in these classes so they dont see as high top speeds to brake from? They throw out rotors after every race because they've absolutely roasted them?

Not sure what the right combination of answers is here. But it does seem they have the stock rear e-brake tucked in under the 18. Honestly, it looks good. (Just looking at the wheel/tire package, not the biggest fan of the wheel design itself) It makes me highly tempted to find a Carbon Ceramic that could work under an 18inch wheel.
This shop offers other styles of rim, and apparently the 18” version are designed to work with the OEM brakes.

The 18s are not particularly light, but are lighter than the original wheels. He states they are built to be strong, not as light as possible. These are CNC from a forged blank, so are somewhat flexible on the details I expect.

Personally, I’m on the wall a bit whether to go 18 or 19. Need to do some research on tyre options. They’d be strictly for track, so don’t need to be road legal. I personally prefer the look of the 19s.

Attachments

• 10be06644faaf444397d48bd87f7f75c.jpeg
    10be06644faaf444397d48bd87f7f75c.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 615ddd98da1f30ae04510b4d8720cf19.jpeg
    615ddd98da1f30ae04510b4d8720cf19.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 9becb9fbd710c3643d405cd7ab842212.jpeg
    9becb9fbd710c3643d405cd7ab842212.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 7c05ad036858c8291c3d7aa09e61346c.jpeg
    7c05ad036858c8291c3d7aa09e61346c.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 8
This shop offers other styles of rim, and apparently the 18” version are designed to work with the OEM brakes.

The 18s are not particularly light, but are lighter than the original wheels. He states they are built to be strong, not as light as possible. These are CNC from a forged blank, so are somewhat flexible on the details I expect.

Personally, I’m on the wall a bit whether to go 18 or 19. Need to do some research on tyre options. They’d be strictly for track, so don’t need to be road legal. I personally prefer the look of the 19s.
If it's just for Track 18s are definitely going to be the right call. Lots of professional race teams use 18s, besides tires, wheels in 18s becomes a fountain of options. Track based? 18s. Whether it's Advan GT, Volk TE37, many other Rays wheels options, Titan 7, Motegi Racing, BBS, just tons of options.

I'm curious whether the rear parking brake is a "grind down until it fits", or something fairly innocuous. The car with the 18s showing the parking brake at all tells me it's functional. If they were just relying on wheel chocks they'd remove the brake assembly to save the weight.

I will say, I get that there are a lot of forging options that effectively press a blank face with a barrel and then CNC out the face pattern. For some of the other wheels on the market, I don't think they are doing this. Volk TE37s for example I think are forged into a "rough shape" of the spokes then CNC'd to trim out and do things like the hub face and lug-pattern.

The strength difference might be negligible, but it's gotta make a difference in the grain of the metal, especially for some higher concave designs.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back