đź““ Journals Adding Lightness

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
Good stuff! It sounds like I'll have to add an Antigravity battery and Bluetooth tracker to my list of things to do.

Yes it does require a trickle charger for Lithium Ion batteries. I didn't know if the Lotus factory charger supported lithium batteries, so I'd already ordered a CTEK lithium trickle charger before the car was ever delivered.

Something interesting though; since I installed the Antigravity battery, I haven't had to use the trickle charger once. I've now got 1,000 miles on the car and it's never failed to start, nor have I had any problems with any of the electronics. These batteries seem to be strong enough (even with the 40ah one I got) that they don't need the trickle charging every night thing. My car has sat for several days when we had about a week of thunderstorms and rain, and it started right up.
This is good news. I recall something in the Owners manual about starting the car at least once every 18 days.

Yes, indeed, on Sunday:

IMG_0969.jpegIMG_0967.jpegIMG_0933.jpegIMG_1035.jpeg

You were at the Garden Party?

Last edited:
I was two cars along from you,

Attachments

• IMG_5509.jpg
    IMG_5509.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5511.PNG
    IMG_5511.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
While these are gorgeous, none of it has anything to do with Eagle's car journal.
LOL well in a way, it kinda sorta does. It's Lotus, and it's because of the history of the marque that I wanted to buy the Emira.

Got the dyno run today. I was really surprised at the results. Either the drivetrain loss is surprisingly low, like around 8%, or the engine is producing more than the stated 400 hp. Either way I'm not complaining. We've had temps in the high 90's and low 100's for the last week, but TODAY of course, when I get up this morning there's dark clouds and 5 minutes before I have to go to the dyno shop (I had to make an appointment), it starts to rain. So now my pristine car is all grungy. About an hour after I was there, the clouds cleared out and it was bright, sunny and 91 again. Thank you very much. The good news is the auto-sensing wipers worked just fine.

Something else I noticed. I had mentioned a week or so ago that I was driving around when suddenly the exhaust got louder, almost to the point of resonance. I remember it distinctly because it was so sudden and unexpected, that I looked at the odometer and it was at about 729 miles. I thought that maybe the exhaust valve had gotten stuck open. Well today, as they're getting the car ready for the dyno run, I noticed the exhaust pipes from the muffler appear to be sitting on the bottom of the cosmetic exhaust tips attached to the body. It looks like the muffler has settled downward for some reason. When I do the oil change I'll look and see what happened. Maybe one of the hangers slipped.

IMG_3324.jpeg

Here it is on the dyno. It's a direct connect system so there's no variable with tires or tire pressures.

IMG_3325.jpeg

Here's the chart. Really surprised to see 369.6 hp to the rear wheels.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 12.57.47 PM.png

He had difficulty getting the dyno run. The car kept cutting off at 4,200 rpm. After trying several different things including disabling traction control, and other things, it turned out that all he had to do was 'drive' it on the dyno for a bit and the car apparently realized it was on a dyno, and disabled the limiter.

If I can get the muffler adjusted upward so that the pipes are centered in the exhaust tips, then I'll install the Eventuri and go back to the dyno shop. If I can't, and it looks like it may need something I can't fix, then I'll have to take it to the Lotus dealer in Salt Lake City which is the closest, and get it fixed. Onward and upward.

That's a solid baseline number! I thought the Emira redline was closer to 7,000 rpms, but it looks like it actually cuts out at about 6,720 rpms. I assume the car was in track mode for this dyno run? Would Sport or Track mode give any more revs over the standard Tour mode, or is it the same no matter what mode the car is in?

It's a direct connect system so there's no variable with tires or tire pressures.
Forgive my ignorance- on a direct connect system, does software account for the reduction of rotating mass (wheels and tires not present?)

That's a solid baseline number! I thought the Emira redline was closer to 7,000 rpms, but it looks like it actually cuts out at about 6,720 rpms. I assume the car was in track mode for this dyno run? Would Sport or Track mode give any more revs over the standard Tour mode, or is it the same no matter what mode the car is in?
Yeah I was really surprised. I was expecting a drivetrain loss of around 11-12%, which would have been about 355 to the rear wheels. 369.6 to the rear wheels is a drivetrain loss of 7.6% which is very unusual. I'd be interested to see what others are getting if anyone else gets a baseline dyno.

So, Eventuri dyno next?
Next is oil change, and seeing what's going on with the muffler. Once I get that taken care of, and if I don't have to go to the Lotus dealer for the muffler, then it's Eventuri and another dyno.

Forgive my ignorance- on a direct connect system, does software account for the reduction of rotating mass (wheels and tires not present?)
I would assume so. I like the fact that it gives an honest reading of the power making it to the rear axles, regardless of wheels/tires.

Back