📓 Journals Adding Lightness

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
Are you planning on adding the cat delete pipe after you get the intake installed and dynoed?

Are you planning on adding the cat delete pipe after you get the intake installed and dynoed?
No. I don't want it louder. I actually like the sound of the stock system as-is. I'm going to put some time in on seeing if I can reduce the road noise coming through the wheel well liners. If I can dampen down those frequencies and their volume level, that's likely to improve the good sounds because they won't be getting masked or cancelled.

Just on a side note (no pun intended), today I was driving the Alfa around on some errands. It has Michelin's on it, and I was shocked at how much quieter it was on the same roads I have been driving the Emira. The Goodyears are so much louder! I'm hoping I can get a lot of that under control with dampening, but I think when it comes time to replace the Goodyears, I'll seriously consider Michelins.

I ordered an Eventuri intake, and it's really an impressive unit. Haven't installed it yet; going to wait until after I get a dyno run with the car stock so I'll have a baseline to know what the performance is from the factory.

The main unit which includes the filter weighs only 3 lbs.

View attachment 46170

The silicone connector tube (which is a very solid piece) along with all the rest of the hardware; brackets, nuts, bolts, etc. weighs 1 1/2 lbs.

View attachment 46171

After I get it installed, I'll weigh the factory unit and post it in here.
Speak to me like the novice that I am! What are the benefits outside of the weight reduction on the intake? Does it improve induction sound?

Speak to me like the novice that I am! What are the benefits outside of the weight reduction on the intake? Does it improve induction sound?
Slight power bump across whole range (TBC by various folks on here testing Soon ™️), and Dat Supercharger Whine...

From the videos I've watched of Eventuri intakes installed on other car brands, there's a slight difference in sound. It seems to be a slight bit throatier, but that's going to depend on the design (some have dual intakes), and where the intake is located. Since ours is right behind the driver's window (for left-hand drive cars), it'll be interesting to hear what it sounds like. I'll know soon enough.

As far as performance, it seems to be pretty consistent on every video I've watched, including testing by independent racing shops that the Eventuri system adds anywhere from 12-20 hp, and about the same amount of torque. And it starts right away all the way up the rpm range, not just at or near the top.

Just on a side note (no pun intended), today I was driving the Alfa around on some errands. It has Michelin's on it, and I was shocked at how much quieter it was on the same roads I have been driving the Emira. The Goodyears are so much louder! I'm hoping I can get a lot of that under control with dampening, but I think when it comes time to replace the Goodyears, I'll seriously consider Michelins.
This is interesting... just in terms of the noise rating on them, the Goodyears should be reasonably quiet, but perhaps the block pattern or whatever is just less happy combined with the road surfaces near you. It is exasperating how many factors you have to consider, making recommending or taking recommendations for tyres that much more complicated.

This is interesting... just in terms of the noise rating on them, the Goodyears should be reasonably quiet, but perhaps the block pattern or whatever is just less happy combined with the road surfaces near you. It is exasperating how many factors you have to consider, making recommending or taking recommendations for tyres that much more complicated.
Yeah I know. Just driving around town in the Emira, there are stretches of road that are very quiet, then suddenly roaring, and that's on asphalt that changes from a new patch to an older surface. Driving on grooved concrete on the freeways, it's so loud I don't think I'd even be able to have a conversation with someone. Coming off the freeway onto an asphalt off-ramp, it's like someone flips a switch and turns off the roar.

When I get home, stop the car and get out, my ears have that high-pitched hiss in them that you get after being exposed to high levels of sound for prolonged periods of time. Maybe it's just me; I am 72 so it could be my older hearing is more susceptible to this, but I want to get this under control because I really enjoy driving the car. Most of the sound seems to be coming from the back of the car, so I'll start with the rear wheel well liners first. If I have to, I'll even put sound deadener on the firewall behind the seats if necessary. I know this can be brought under control, it's just going to take some time and effort.

No. I don't want it louder. I actually like the sound of the stock system as-is. I'm going to put some time in on seeing if I can reduce the road noise coming through the wheel well liners. If I can dampen down those frequencies and their volume level, that's likely to improve the good sounds because they won't be getting masked or cancelled.

I would have guessed you would do the cat delete just to shed the excess weight. Aren't the performance gains with just the cat delete comparable to the intake? Also, I don't think the sound changes much if you stick with the factory valve control. My understanding is that the cat delete really comes alive when you combine it with the Milltek valve controller and open the valve to 100% open.

Garden party event. Awesome……..

Attachments

• IMG_8124.jpeg
    IMG_8124.jpeg
    820.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8081.jpeg
    IMG_8081.jpeg
    642.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8129.jpeg
    IMG_8129.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 60
I would have guessed you would do the cat delete just to shed the excess weight. Aren't the performance gains with just the cat delete comparable to the intake? Also, I don't think the sound changes much if you stick with the factory valve control. My understanding is that the cat delete really comes alive when you combine it with the Milltek valve controller and open the valve to 100% open.
I've thought about the weight reduction for both it and the muffler. However I'm not taking this car on the track, so I don't want to ruin the enjoyment of just driving it around. I have a car I set up for track, and while it's a blast to drive on the track, it's too stiff and noisy for the street. I don't care about that on the track, and I'm also wearing a helmet, but it's not enjoyable on the street.

I'm doing things selectively, reducing weight where it's reasonable, adding minor amounts of performance, again where it's reasonable. The combination of both those things should both sharpen and smooth things out overall. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but it includes sound levels and sound quality as well as better performance at low rpms. Reducing drivetrain loss, reducing weight selectively, it will all add up. I've already reduced the weight by about 30 lbs with the battery, and I'm estimating the Aerie wheels combined with titanium lug bolts will reduce another 24-ish lbs. The Eventuri should peel off maybe another 3 lbs, so somewhere around 55 lbs reduction overall which is enough to notice.

I'm also narrowing down the possibility of replacing the steel wheel bearings with ceramic, which will significantly reduce the rolling resistance, enabling the car to move forward easier, which will improve the low speed performance.

Overall, nothing particularly dramatic in and of itself, just a purposefully selective plan.

I've thought about the weight reduction for both it and the muffler. However I'm not taking this car on the track, so I don't want to ruin the enjoyment of just driving it around. I have a car I set up for track, and while it's a blast to drive on the track, it's too stiff and noisy for the street. I don't care about that on the track, and I'm also wearing a helmet, but it's not enjoyable on the street.

I'm doing things selectively, reducing weight where it's reasonable, adding minor amounts of performance, again where it's reasonable. The combination of both those things should both sharpen and smooth things out overall. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but it includes sound levels and sound quality as well as better performance at low rpms. Reducing drivetrain loss, reducing weight selectively, it will all add up. I've already reduced the weight by about 30 lbs with the battery, and I'm estimating the Aerie wheels combined with titanium lug bolts will reduce another 24-ish lbs. The Eventuri should peel off maybe another 3 lbs, so somewhere around 55 lbs reduction overall which is enough to notice.

I'm also narrowing down the possibility of replacing the steel wheel bearings with ceramic, which will significantly reduce the rolling resistance, enabling the car to move forward easier, which will improve the low speed performance.

Overall, nothing particularly dramatic in and of itself, just a purposefully selective plan.
That sounds like a good plan! You've got some great mods planned, and I'm anxious to see how it all turns out. That reminds me that I need to weigh my car before modifying it so I can have a baseline number before the mods begin.

What Bluetooth module are you guys using?
Antigravity sells it. Connects to their app on your device.

My car has been left for two weeks at a time and has never needed to use the retained energy feature. These cars do have a relatively high parasitic draw so the optional blue tooth monitor is a highly recommended and welcome addition. It includes some secondary features that display running charge levels in amps and starting draw. It’s cheap, if I recall under 40 dollars. They are excellent batteries. Mine is the 40 AH version as well. It’s more than adequate to the task and is now 2 years old on my 400. No loss of capacity that I can see to this point.

That sounds like a good plan! You've got some great mods planned, and I'm anxious to see how it all turns out. That reminds me that I need to weigh my car before modifying it so I can have a baseline number before the mods begin.
Yeah, same here. I need to find a shop with a weight scale before I change anything else on the car.

Yeah, same here. I need to find a shop with a weight scale before I change anything else on the car.
My B10 seats with the Emira bracket and runner kit saves 66lbs. 72 lbs with two B9's and in both cases this includes the panels. You can really feel the weight difference when you take out the electric ones.

My B10 seats with the Emira bracket and runner kit saves 66lbs. 72 lbs with two B9's and in both cases this includes the panels. You can really feel the weight difference when you take out the electric ones.
For my use, the car doesn't need electric seats, actually would prefer this class of car to have the option of manual seat adjustment. No doubt the single item that adds most weight over the Evora is this seat feature.

I tend to push the seat back all the way to make entrance and egress easier. In that situation, the electric chairs are actually less satisfying because they take three times as long to do what you can accomplish easily by hand without the added weight and complication. I think memory power seats are a luxury feature that has little utility in focused two seater sports cars that tend to be driven by the same person from day to day. Porsche 'sort of' charges extra for manuals (or rather makes more money when de-contenting) in the trims that come with them but that's Porsche who have always charged more for less in this sense. Lotus could equip their higher performance spec sports cars with standard seats and probably do the same while further satisfying their enthusiast custom. This would show some signs of recognition of the Chapman heritage that their legacy clients are begging for.

Last edited:
@Lewquatious I'm with you. The seats on the Emira are way heavier and too plush and too wide for my needs. I'm following @Eagle7's build and have followed his plans (and let's face it, his renders) from the beginning. So I'm very eager to see the results. I love the look of the B10's and plan to visit @GRP's shop in Reno to test them for comfort. In the meantime I'm stashing money for the day @Steve Tillett's folding carbon buckets happen.

Back