Air Filters?

I am running the K&N. Induction noise and supercharger sound are increased but only noticeable when the windows are down and you’re on the throttle. It sounds great and especially good in combination with the 3rd cat delete. In sport or track mode it is absolutely a riot yet very quiet on tour.

I am going to be consistent on oil changes and replace the K&N instead of reoiling. I don’t anticipate any issues.
Can you really hear the difference by changing only the air filter? I ordered the Eventuri intake and will install it soon, but not any air filters so if it does change the intake sound, I am going to order one too.

Can you really hear the difference by changing only the air filter? I ordered the Eventuri intake and will install it soon, but not any air filters so if it does change the intake sound, I am going to order one too.

The Eventuri intake utilizes a cone shaped intake where the stock airbox used a traditional panel filter. You can't use the K&N with the Eventuri.

Just replacing the panel filter with a K&N (or other aftermarket filter) will slightly increase induction noise.

The Eventuri intake utilizes a cone shaped intake where the stock airbox used a traditional panel filter. You can't use the K&N with the Eventuri.

Just replacing the panel filter with a K&N (or other aftermarket filter) will slightly increase induction noise.
Oh, thanks, I am stupid :D

I bought a K&N but haven't had it installed yet, was planning on doing that at 1000 miles along with an oil change... I'd not heard of these causing issues in the past, although I've never bothered with doing it in any of my previous cars so I hadn't really looked into it. Having read this thread, now I'm a bit worried...

I bought a K&N but haven't had it installed yet, was planning on doing that at 1000 miles along with an oil change... I'd not heard of these causing issues in the past, although I've never bothered with doing it in any of my previous cars so I hadn't really looked into it. Having read this thread, now I'm a bit worried...

There is always the risk that performance filters allow smaller particles through and to be 100 % safe you could stick to an OEM filter. I have used many K&N filters previously without issue.
Prior to going stage 3 my last car engine was a 520hp 5 cylinder (stage 2 with Eventuri), which did 19k before going built. When it was stripped there was no bore wear and all metal parts were measured within new build tolerances. I truly believe that was down to 6 month oil changes and not going fast until the oil was up to temperature.

The problem most often with K&N type filters is if they're oiled. After the first cleaning, all too often people put too much oil on them, thinking they need to saturate them. This causes particles of oil to make their way onto the MAF sensor, which screws up the readings it gives to the ECU, which in turn changes the air to fuel mixture which causes engine problems. Lotus has stated in writing that will void the warranty. I've used K&N filters in the past, and never had problems with them, but that wasn't on cars that cost $100k.

If you're going to just replace the stock filter with a new element, go with one that doesn't require oiling.

There is always the risk that performance filters allow smaller particles through and to be 100 % safe you could stick to an OEM filter. I have used many K&N filters previously without issue.
Prior to going stage 3 my last car engine was a 520hp 5 cylinder (stage 2 with Eventuri), which did 19k before going built. When it was stripped there was no bore wear and all metal parts were measured within new build tolerances. I truly believe that was down to 6 month oil changes and not going fast until the oil was up to temperature.
All my cars get changed at 5k miles. The Porsche will never go more than a year regardless of mileage. For air filters I’ve switched to Sprint Race filters and will never go back to OEM. K&N are ok I guess, but I personally would go with a dry (oil free) filter. Every oil change goes to Blackstone for analysis, and there never has been an issue with solids or anything else for that matter. Sprint Race are pricey, but they are lifetime and a blast of air to clean is all you need. Induction noise gets elevated beautifully as well. Not sure if they are available for the Emira yet.

The problem most often with K&N type filters is if they're oiled. After the first cleaning, all too often people put too much oil on them, thinking they need to saturate them. This causes particles of oil to make their way onto the MAF sensor, which screws up the readings it gives to the ECU, which in turn changes the air to fuel mixture which causes engine problems. Lotus has stated in writing that will void the warranty. I've used K&N filters in the past, and never had problems with them, but that wasn't on cars that cost $100k.

If you're going to just replace the stock filter with a new element, go with one that doesn't require oiling.

Exactly this. I remember carefully cleaning the MAF with indirect electrical cleaner on my Subaru STI's K&N intake. FWIW, the Evora crew prefers the AEM DryFlow filter. They're ~$60 on Amazon for the Evora (I assume the Emira is a slightly different size).

I got the dry air filter Greg is selling:

Probably going to wait until after warranty to install, so nothing to report yet.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back