Alcantara Steering Wheels?

jamesgareth

Reaction score
What's with alcantara steering wheels? What exactly is the attraction? Is it just a fashion thing? I sat in an Emira couple of days back and it had one - and it felt to me like somebody forgot to put on a perfectly decent leather grip and instead put on some crunchy old rag (it was a brand new car). I don't get it. What exactly is the point? Really. I'd love to know.

What's with alcantara steering wheels? What exactly is the attraction? Is it just a fashion thing? I sat in an Emira couple of days back and it had one - and it felt to me like somebody forgot to put on a perfectly decent leather grip and instead put on some crunchy old rag (it was a brand new car). I don't get it. What exactly is the point? Really. I'd love to know.
It’s soft and sexy for a few months.

It’s soft and sexy for a few months.
Ha. Right. If you like that sort of thing.

I suppose they're on actual racing cars and/or they might give more grip if you're tracking your car?

I'm sure somebody here who has one will come up with a perfectly good reason to have one on a road-based car.

We shall see.

I think Alcantara works better than leather if you are wearing gloves, like if you plan on tracking in a full firesuit. I personally prefer to drive without gloves on a leather (or rubber) steering wheel unless the suit is required.

I think Alcantara works better than leather if you are wearing gloves, like if you plan on tracking in a full firesuit. I personally prefer to drive without gloves on a leather (or rubber) steering wheel unless the suit is required.
Right. OK thanks. Far as I can see of the 80 or so Emira's on auto-trader right now (in the UK) around half have alcantara steering wheels. I can't believe half of the people are going to track these cars so regularly that such a thing would be seriously useful.

I can only think it's a fashion statement.

Right. OK thanks. Far as I can see of the 80 or so Emira's on auto-trader right now (in the UK) around half have alcantara steering wheels. I can't believe half of the people are going to track these cars so regularly that such a thing would be seriously useful.

I can only think it's a fashion statement.
Yeah, I think most people just get it because they like the look/feel. The grip difference is not really significant enough to matter for typical use. It's more noticeable in racecars or karts with very heavy steering.

Regarding fashion it’s a great excuse to wear your driving gloves. 😎

I’ve read that it is entirely possible to keep them fresh with proper cleaning but it is still a lot more work than preserving leather wheels. After cleaning for instance you really need to brush the wheel to get the soft feeling back.

I ordered the Alcantara steering wheel without giving much thought, then found a whole online cohort of people who despise it. I feared for my life after my order was locked and thought I would have to trade my car immediately (JK). I actually love it :D I wouldn't necessarily advocate for it over leather (it's just preference), but I find that it is insanely grippy without gloves, it matches my alcantara interior, and it adds to how special it feels every time I get into that car. Mine feels soft and grippy after 1000+ miles, no mats or clumps and having never cleaned it. My hands are almost always clean so maybe that helps. I find myself not shifting my hands or letting it slip through my hands as much, my driving habits feel much more like racing in that car lol. Honestly I wouldn't change my spec.

Rumour has it that leather steering wheel covers are the TRUE fashion statement, for those with really discerning taste, the need to cling onto a dead animal hide as opposed to a man-made material, and to fulfill the all-important desire to show those pesky animal activists just who’s really “steering” the ship (pardon the double pun, since leather is made from steers; lol).

This tremendously divisive automotive issue has kept me from getting a good night sleep, for far too many decades!

On a more serious note, here’s an article some may find interesting, which describes the origins of alcantara and comments on some of its benefits:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back