Alcantara Steering Wheels?

jamesgareth

Reaction score
What's with alcantara steering wheels? What exactly is the attraction? Is it just a fashion thing? I sat in an Emira couple of days back and it had one - and it felt to me like somebody forgot to put on a perfectly decent leather grip and instead put on some crunchy old rag (it was a brand new car). I don't get it. What exactly is the point? Really. I'd love to know.

What's with alcantara steering wheels? What exactly is the attraction? Is it just a fashion thing? I sat in an Emira couple of days back and it had one - and it felt to me like somebody forgot to put on a perfectly decent leather grip and instead put on some crunchy old rag (it was a brand new car). I don't get it. What exactly is the point? Really. I'd love to know.
It’s soft and sexy for a few months.

It’s soft and sexy for a few months.
Ha. Right. If you like that sort of thing.

I suppose they're on actual racing cars and/or they might give more grip if you're tracking your car?

I'm sure somebody here who has one will come up with a perfectly good reason to have one on a road-based car.

We shall see.

I think Alcantara works better than leather if you are wearing gloves, like if you plan on tracking in a full firesuit. I personally prefer to drive without gloves on a leather (or rubber) steering wheel unless the suit is required.

I think Alcantara works better than leather if you are wearing gloves, like if you plan on tracking in a full firesuit. I personally prefer to drive without gloves on a leather (or rubber) steering wheel unless the suit is required.
Right. OK thanks. Far as I can see of the 80 or so Emira's on auto-trader right now (in the UK) around half have alcantara steering wheels. I can't believe half of the people are going to track these cars so regularly that such a thing would be seriously useful.

I can only think it's a fashion statement.

Right. OK thanks. Far as I can see of the 80 or so Emira's on auto-trader right now (in the UK) around half have alcantara steering wheels. I can't believe half of the people are going to track these cars so regularly that such a thing would be seriously useful.

I can only think it's a fashion statement.
Yeah, I think most people just get it because they like the look/feel. The grip difference is not really significant enough to matter for typical use. It's more noticeable in racecars or karts with very heavy steering.

Regarding fashion it’s a great excuse to wear your driving gloves. 😎

I’ve read that it is entirely possible to keep them fresh with proper cleaning but it is still a lot more work than preserving leather wheels. After cleaning for instance you really need to brush the wheel to get the soft feeling back.

I ordered the Alcantara steering wheel without giving much thought, then found a whole online cohort of people who despise it. I feared for my life after my order was locked and thought I would have to trade my car immediately (JK). I actually love it :D I wouldn't necessarily advocate for it over leather (it's just preference), but I find that it is insanely grippy without gloves, it matches my alcantara interior, and it adds to how special it feels every time I get into that car. Mine feels soft and grippy after 1000+ miles, no mats or clumps and having never cleaned it. My hands are almost always clean so maybe that helps. I find myself not shifting my hands or letting it slip through my hands as much, my driving habits feel much more like racing in that car lol. Honestly I wouldn't change my spec.

Rumour has it that leather steering wheel covers are the TRUE fashion statement, for those with really discerning taste, the need to cling onto a dead animal hide as opposed to a man-made material, and to fulfill the all-important desire to show those pesky animal activists just who’s really “steering” the ship (pardon the double pun, since leather is made from steers; lol).

This tremendously divisive automotive issue has kept me from getting a good night sleep, for far too many decades!

On a more serious note, here’s an article some may find interesting, which describes the origins of alcantara and comments on some of its benefits:

I don’t know I just optioned it 😂 at least for me I really don’t care for as long car drives great and problem- free 😊

It just a preference thing. I think they feel awesome in the hand but they also collect oils and dirt in a worse way. I generally try to keep leather at touch points when possible. That said I probably would have bit at a colored alcantara interior.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back