• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone bleed their own brakes on their Emira?

Blackthought_

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Never bled my own brakes before but been watching around YouTube and looks to be pretty easy with the help of a motiv brake bleeder. If I decide to go to a track day I may just try to flush the OEM fluid and replace with motul or SRF. Anyone bleed their own brakes on their Emira? I know the process is the same for many cars but a DIY post would be helpful.

Services notes state
4. Bleed brakes using Lotus Insight tool.

Said tool is not available publicly. No idea what software would do besides guiding step for step, but you never know.

Services notes state

Said tool is not available publicly. No idea what software would do besides guiding step for step, but you never know.
I don’t think you need this tool to bleed your brakes? I think this is just a tool that lotus techs use

That is likely the tool for getting air out of the ABS module. If you are flushing the brakes normally (same procedure for any car) this is not an issue. You need two people to do it the traditional way, or one if you buy one of the many different kinds of assistance tools. The most popular tool I see with race teams is a pressure bleeder.

I'd suggest Chrissfix youtube channel if you are not familiar with bleeding brakes or other basic maintenance.

Honestly I wouldn’t bother if you’ve never done it before. The car is new and the brakes by AP I think you’ll struggle to boil the fluid on a regular track day. Also how do you know that whatever you will replace it with is better than factory spec?

At best a marginal gain, at worst you’ll end up with spongy brakes, miss the track day and be out of warranty on the braking system as you’ve messed with it.

Should be the same process as the Evora (and most cars). I've used the Motiv bleeder on other cars and it works great.
Just be sure to do the inner bleeder also/ first and then the outer bleeder at each caliper. Agreed the Insight tool is not needed for a simple flush and if you dont empty the system. Also use a correctly sized quality wrench (the box/complete circle side) on the bleeder to crack open.
IMO, prob not needed before the first track day unless you're really gonna be heavy on the brakes a lot.
Also, I would practice on one of your other cars first if you've never done before.

Last edited:
Clutch and brakes share the same reservoir so in theory you should first bleed the clutch when bleeding brakes.

Last edited:
Looks like bleeding should be straightforward. Just do it. There will always be a first time for you so worrying about it is futile. I've used the Motive on a few different cars, works fine except watchout you don't make a mess and get braker fluid on painted surface.

I would also go with the factory fluid the track day the first time out of it hasnt been stressed already. (really old or a lot of miles) Change it after your track day when it is more leasurely.

Looks like bleeding should be straightforward. Just do it. There will always be a first time for you so worrying about it is futile. I've used the Motive on a few different cars, works fine except watchout you don't make a mess and get braker fluid on painted surface.

I would also go with the factory fluid the track day the first time out of it hasnt been stressed already. (really old or a lot of miles) Change it after your track day when it is more leasurely.
I’m considering it but not sure if I want to try it and then go to the track ha

How is it possible that they share the same reservoir if they serve different purposes?

They both use the same fluid and share the same reservoir. Different purposes but same hydraulic principles, you press a pedal and fluid actuates something at the other end (caliper or CSC)

Think of the CSC as an extra caliper.

Here’s the procedure for the Evora.

They both use the same fluid and share the same reservoir. Different purposes but same hydraulic principles, you press a pedal and fluid actuates something at the other end (caliper or CSC)

Think of the CSC as an extra caliper.

Here’s the procedure for the Evora.

Ah good stuff. The more you know. Thanks!

I have the motive european cap (used it for the "M" cars), I will try to get out a bit later to see if it fits. I am curious as well.
I went out and checked; the "european" spec cap fits. This was the first time I had opened up the front hatch and I was looking for an excuse to do so. Also gives me a chance to get in and clean it up a bit.

This is the link I used years ago to purchase the adapter: https://a.co/d/hPL5HG6

IMG_2031.jpeg