• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone regretting that they got the Sport suspension and Cup 2s?

skydude

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If so, maybe we can trade :)
I have touring suspension and Goodyears.
Atlanta area

If so, maybe we can trade :)
I have touring suspension and Goodyears.
Atlanta area
Hello! I live in Chattanooga.

I debated long and hard about this before I made my order. The sports suspension on my Elise was great when being pushed hard, but we have some rough roads on the mountains around here and that's when it seemed to come apart. And not even mentioning the ride quality...So this time I waffled for a long time and ordered touring. Since I have other cars for track work, I don't anticipate that I would want anything more firm.

What makes you dissatisfied with the touring?

Hello! I live in Chattanooga.

I debated long and hard about this before I made my order. The sports suspension on my Elise was great when being pushed hard, but we have some rough roads on the mountains around here and that's when it seemed to come apart. And not even mentioning the ride quality...So this time I waffled for a long time and ordered touring. Since I have other cars for track work, I don't anticipate that I would want anything more firm.

What makes you dissatisfied with the touring?
It's just too soft for me. My test drive was with the sport suspension and I liked it.
I didn't order my Emira, the guy that ordered it backed out, so I got lucky and got it immediately. Only thing I would have changed was the Touring stuff

It's just too soft for me. My test drive was with the sport suspension and I liked it.
I didn't order my Emira, the guy that ordered it backed out, so I got lucky and got it immediately. Only thing I would have changed was the Touring stuff
Did you look into changing your suspension to the Sport suspension ? I ordered Touring, but figured if I wanted Sport, I would change it out.

Did you look into changing your suspension to the Sport suspension ? I ordered Touring, but figured if I wanted Sport, I would change it out.
Yeah, from the Harry's Garage videos in the factory, it's just 415 instead of 400 springs, and different shocks. Should be a simple swap.

Yeah, from the Harry's Garage videos in the factory, it's just 415 instead of 400 springs, and different shocks. Should be a simple swap.
Should be very easy, just don't know where to source them from.

I'd check with your lotus dealership. Hopefully they can order them.

If you are going to invest in a “sports” shock system, you probably are better off putting the money towards a set of nitron road, or nitron club sports. They are a much better option. You also have the luxury of adjusting the dampeners with a simple click, and you can also just your ride hight. This is my next mod.

I have sports suspension with the goodyears. Idk if that's considered a bad move, or if the sports camber settings diminish the goodyears purpose, but it's been great as far as I can tell. My thinking was that the cup 2's would be too sticky to have fun with, and don't have as linear a slip progression. Seeing as I'm not a big track driver I just wanted something as sporty as possible but friendly near the limit. The sports suspension itself was definitely the right choice for me. My other car is a g80 M3 so I really didn't want my second two-seater sports car optimized for comfort, just all fun.

Love the sports and cup2s. The amount of available grip feels limitless. Very satisfied with the setup, yet will likely switch out the cup2s when they wear out solely due to how many rocks they kick up.

Love the sports and cup2s. The amount of available grip feels limitless. Very satisfied with the setup, yet will likely switch out the cup2s when they wear out solely due to how many rocks they kick up.
I have an old Mitsubishi Evo VIII and have been very happy with the Pilot Sport 4S. I think that's what I'm aiming for with my set after the Goodyears go. I'm also interested in exploring the Pilot Super Sport, which is an OEM Ferrari tire.

Edit: Much like the Pilot Super Sport has a "K" spec that designates the actual OEM tire for Ferrari, I just noticed on Tire Rack that the Eagle F1 Supersport has an LTS spec for Lotus...What is different about our spec, do you think?

In complete agreement - I haven't pushed the car to its limits yet but it does feel like Sports suspension and Cup2s = endless grip. I don't like all the pebbles and road debris that stick to the tires like a lanternfly trap, but when my Cup2s are done, I'll replace them with Cup2s. More of that, please.

I have an old Mitsubishi Evo VIII and have been very happy with the Pilot Sport 4S. I think that's what I'm aiming for with my set after the Goodyears go. I'm also interested in exploring the Pilot Super Sport, which is an OEM Ferrari tire.

Edit: Much like the Pilot Super Sport has a "K" spec that designates the actual OEM tire for Ferrari, I just noticed on Tire Rack that the Eagle F1 Supersport has an LTS spec for Lotus...What is different about our spec, do you think?
Goodyear or Michelin durability ??? | Lotus Emira Forum

I love my sport suspension . It’s perfect I would say . I hated at the beginning cup2s because they are to sticky and I was afraid about simply rock chips but after 1300’miles now I understand how good these tires are . Grip it’s simply amazing .

If you are going to invest in a “sports” shock system, you probably are better off putting the money towards a set of nitron road, or nitron club sports. They are a much better option. You also have the luxury of adjusting the dampeners with a simple click, and you can also just your ride hight. This is my next mod.
If I do coilovers, I move from stock to modified class in autox.

In stock class I was about a second off the best time. Modified was 6 seconds faster and I don't think coilovers will make up that much on a 60 second run.

In stock class I was about a second off the best time. Modified was 6 seconds faster and I don't think coilovers will make up that much on a 60 second run.
No. But it will definitely give you consistency fast lap times.

I have the sport suspension but Goodyear tires. Spring rates are stiff but I find the dampers remarkably compliant. I'm good with Goodyear as my "training wheel" tires on the Emira. :giggle: I'm running Toyo R888r's on my Elise and they're pretty sketchy if i rains. I was afraid the Cup2's would be similar.

I have the sport suspension but Goodyear tires. Spring rates are stiff but I find the dampers remarkably compliant. I'm good with Goodyear as my "training wheel" tires on the Emira. :giggle: I'm running Toyo R888r's on my Elise and they're pretty sketchy if i rains. I was afraid the Cup2's would be similar.
I’ve got sport suspension with Cup 2s and I keep the tyre pressure display permanently on the dashboard. Once the tyres are warmed up and at correct pressure the car seems grippy in all situations. Except really heavy rain on the motorway which I admit is nightmarish! You have to fight the steering wheel a fair amount when road camber is steep but that’s probably the same for all Emiras. Overall the car’s handling is awesome .

Ah! This makes way more sense. Thank you. Yes, part of what I was deciding when ordering the Emira is if I would use it for autocross. We (my wife also races) decided to keep using our other cars for cones and keep the Emira as a weekender. For autocross, yeah, you definitely need the factory sport suspension and the Cup 2s. Good luck sourcing it!