• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone swapping rear quarter privacy for clear?

Last ICE

Reaction score
I like the rear hatch privacy tint but would like the rear quarters in clear. I think it would help outward side view visibility and optically blend better with the side profile of the clear door window glass. I’ve asked my dealer about replacement cost and part availability for these two glass panels. Has anyone done or is considering this?

I like the rear hatch privacy tint but would like the rear quarters in clear. I think it would help outward side view visibility and optically blend better with the side profile of the clear door window glass. I’ve asked my dealer about replacement cost and part availability for these two glass panels. Has anyone done or is considering this?
I tinted the door windows and that makes the rear quarter panel glass blend in fantastically. In my opinion the existing tint on those rear quarters aren't an issue from the inside looking out......sure it's a little darker, but nothing that wouldn't allow you to see another vehicle.

Do you have your Emira already and just don't dig it or are you still waiting to take delivery and are trying to line things up?

I tinted the door windows and that makes the rear quarter panel glass blend in fantastically. In my opinion the existing tint on those rear quarters aren't an issue from the inside looking out......sure it's a little darker, but nothing that wouldn't allow you to see another vehicle.

Do you have your Emira already and just don't dig it or are you still waiting to take delivery and are trying to line things up?
The latter (I’m anticipating a long lead time and not insubstantial cost). The better option may be tinting the door windows - the bigger issue for me is blending.

Do you have your car yet? I think you’d be hard pressed to actually use the two little triangles of glass for outward visibility. For me they may as well not exist at all, the head rotation is need to use them is not realistic.

Matching them would be an issue, i suspect they’re closer to 10-15% tint for aftermarket match and that’s just too dark for me to go to.

As for cost and labor I rightly remember someone here getting them replaced but the amount was well over $2K, the labor involved isn’t pretty. You have to remove the brake light, trunk trim pieces, rear bumper, hatch trim pieces, both entire rear fenders, fender cover pieces, interior trim pieces, and then you can remove the glass from the inside.

Do you have your car yet? I think you’d be hard pressed to actually use the two little triangles of glass for outward visibility. For me they may as well not exist at all, the head rotation is need to use them is not realistic.

Matching them would be an issue, i suspect they’re closer to 10-15% tint for aftermarket match and that’s just too dark for me to go to.

As for cost and labor I rightly remember someone here getting them replaced but the amount was well over $2K, the labor involved isn’t pretty. You have to remove the brake light, trunk trim pieces, rear bumper, hatch trim pieces, both entire rear fenders, fender cover pieces, interior trim pieces, and then you can remove the glass from the inside.
Nope, hasn’t arrived yet. Thanks tons for your observations - very helpful. (and the local Safelite manager was, not surprisingly, befuddled when I explored it with him)

Hi Kitkat
Is that the sam procedure if someone has to remove the glass to fit a carbon vent panel?

Part numbers are 8890575134/8890575118, I might do the same.

btw, the part is only 139.58 GBP each

I've really paid attention to my line of sight when looking over my shoulder and can absolutely confirm what kitkat stated earlier, the little windows are simply not a factor.

As for matching the tint on the side windows, I too had planned on that originally. An owner on another thread had I believe a 20% tint and it was a pretty spot on match. Well once I saw 20% in person it was far too dark for my taste and not to mention illegal in IL. In the end I went with 35% (legal in IL) and was pretty amazed at the difference between that and 20%. Still looks amazing in real life with good light inside and from most exterior angles matches nicely with the triangles.

Attachments

• 20240713_095110.jpg
    20240713_095110.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20240713_094957.jpg
    20240713_094957.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I've really paid attention to my line of sight when looking over my shoulder and can absolutely confirm what kitkat stated earlier, the little windows are simply not a factor.

As for matching the tint on the side windows, I too had planned on that originally. An owner on another thread had I believe a 20% tint and it was a pretty spot on match. Well once I saw 20% in person it was simply far too dark for my taste and not to mention illegal in IL. In the end I went with 35% (legal in IL) and was pretty amazed at the difference between that and 20%. Still looks amazing in real life with good light inside and from most exterior angles matches nicely with the triangles.
Thanks - this is helpful feedback informing what I’ll decide to do.

I prefer the exact opposite - but it's not an option.

I want to be able to see the engine bay (on the V6 at least) - but also want to be able to leave a bag behind the seats without it being seen.

Clear back / Tinted sides - perfect option...

As for matching the tint on the side windows, I too had planned on that originally. An owner on another thread had I believe a 20% tint and it was a pretty spot on match. Well once I saw 20% in person it was far too dark for my taste and not to mention illegal in IL. In the end I went with 35% (legal in IL) and was pretty amazed at the difference between that and 20%. Still looks amazing in real life with good light inside and from most exterior angles matches nicely with the triangles.
Epilogue: based on your and others’ feedback on this thread, and having the chance to do a live side by side comparison today, I’ve decided to go a similar route - tint the door glass to achieve some blending, but not as dark as the triangles. Nice to have a little time to get some details dialed in (and get some parts like Redstuff and steering wheel buttons delivered) before it arrives.