• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Arch Guards / Mudflaps - anyone have these installed?

Yes, I had noticed and it's true for the front, but not so for the rear well liner. Even so, as relates to the front wheel well, that liner seems to be made of some sort of soft plastic/fiberglass material and a small channel could be cut to allow the mud guard bottom edge through. Coincidentally, I sent a message to the folks at Automotive Passion to get their input on this. I ordered a set, so I will probably give this Idea a shot, unless Automotive Passion comes back with a good reason not to. The uncertainty I have at this point is what exactly is behind that section of the liner, but it's easy to check beforehand anyway, since it can be sufficiently pulled out to check once the pop rivet plugs are removed. Will revert with my results later on.
Following up on my last post, today I received and installed my Automotive Passion mud guards. As I had planed, I successfully installed them inside the wheel well liner. All I had to do was make a small (about 4 inch) scissor cut on the lower section of the from wheel well liner to allow the flap to pass through. I also drilled a small whole in the liner to secure a fastener for the top hole. No modifications were needed for the rear mud guard installation. As predicted, wedging the mud guard flap between the wheel well liner and the fender, makes for a more firm installation. I also like the more integrated look of this alternative. Here are some pictures of the result:

Attachments

• IMG_0897.png
    IMG_0897.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0899.png
    IMG_0899.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0902.png
    IMG_0902.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0903.png
    IMG_0903.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0904.png
    IMG_0904.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0905.png
    IMG_0905.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
Following up on my last post, today I received and installed my Automotive Passion mud guards. As I had planed, I successfully installed them inside the wheel well liner. All I had to do was make a small (about 4 inch) scissor cut on the lower section of the from wheel well liner to allow the flap to pass through. I also drilled a small whole in the liner to secure a fastener for the top hole. No modifications were needed for the rear mud guard installation. As predicted, wedging the mud guard flap between the wheel well liner and the fender, makes for a more firm installation. I also like the more integrated look of this alternative. Here are some pictures of the result:
Sorry this dosent look good to be honest .

I think normal install is much better .

So I don't really intend to offend anyone here, but I couldn't contain myself when I saw the renderings and offerings so far for the so called Emira mud flaps. I know that it's only my opinion, but as such, I have to be brutally honest in saying that I really don't get the point of slapping a thin cheap looking plastic sheet on a such a beautiful fender.

Like everyone else here, I too would prefer to protect and keep my Emira as clean as possible, but certainly not at the expense of making it look like a Semi. Having said this, there are many tastefully integrated OEM-looking mud guards in other sports cars out there and, I might add, with a more sturdy design. Take the 911 as an example, mine came with these (see picture below) from factory. While barely noticeable, they are damn effective in deterring the elements and they are so discrete that I even forget that they are there (except of course now that I started noticing them). Also, they are so well integrated in to the lower fenders that they don't interfere or spoil the lines of the car. With the facility of 3D printing these days, it can't be that hard to design and produce that type of mud guard for the Emira as well.

Just an opinion and please interpret this, as it's intended, a constructive suggestion.
Gloss black - you can barely see them . I got your point but my ocd telling me to have them 🤣

Sorry this dosent look good to be honest .

I think normal install is much better .
Well I think it looks a lot better wedged in and I tried them on both ways, just to be sure. This, of course, is a matter of taste and opinion. As for me, I'm not a fan of the glossy flap noticeably slapped on the inside surface of the matte liner. That triggered alarms all over my ocd radar. The other, and not any less important, reason to wedge them was to get a snugger fit and keep them more firmly in place. When I first installed them on the outside, they felt loose, I could easily slide them by hand by pushing/pulling on them. With wear and aging, this can't be a good thing.
To be quite honest however, I believe, and sure hope, that these mud guards will end up being a temporary compromise. for me. There's a heck of a lot of design and quality improvement that some other manufacturer can eventually develop for the Emira.

My thanks to crestima for taking the time/making the effort (complete with photos) to explain and show us a mud guard/flap option.

Well I think it looks a lot better wedged in and I tried them on both ways, just to be sure. This, of course, is a matter of taste and opinion. As for me, I'm not a fan of the glossy flap noticeably slapped on the inside surface of the matte liner. That triggered alarms all over my ocd radar. The other, and not any less important, reason to wedge them was to get a snugger fit and keep them more firmly in place. When I first installed them on the outside, they felt loose, I could easily slide them by hand by pushing/pulling on them. With wear and aging, this can't be a good thing.
To be quite honest however, I believe, and sure hope, that these mud guards will end up being a temporary compromise. for me. There's a heck of a lot of design and quality improvement that some other manufacturer can eventually develop for the Emira.
Yeah . I’f you find any company who’s gonna do better guards please let me know !:)

Not for me. Mud flaps in my opinion belong on a Subaru Outback.
Not quite so.
I get it that the designs being offered so far may be a bit un-sporty, and that's what hopefully will be corrected in the near future. Btw all 911's and many other sports cars already come equipped with them, except that they are discrete and so well integrated in to the fenders, that you can't even tell they are there. Whether they're on Subarus, Semis or 911s, they're there to protect and keep debris out.

Last edited:
Not quite so.
I get it that the designs being offered so far may be a bit un-sporty, and that's what hopefully will be corrected in the near future. Btw all 911's and many other sports cars already come equipped with them, except that they are discrete and so well integrated in to the fenders, that you can't even tell they are there. Whether they're on Subarus, Semis or 911s, they're there to protect and keep debris out.
Well if they were sooo "important" they would of been designed and then installed at the factory. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. I guess I'm not allowed. Yours is the only valid one in your eyes.

Back