• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Arch Guards / Mudflaps - anyone have these installed?

Does anyone make magnetic stone guards? I have them along with arch guards on my Porsche and they are extremely helpful.
is your suggestion about using magnets is because you don't want to drill into your wheel liner? I would like be interested in making some for the community and will take in any suggestions on what they want to see out of a set of rock guards.
1721008088380.png

is your suggestion about using magnets is because you don't want to drill into your wheel liner? I would like be interested in making some for the community and will take in any suggestions on what they want to see out of a set of rock guards.
View attachment 47700
I would be in for a set of 4.. Keep me in the loop.

Ryan G

Took some near final measurements and evaluating the length for spacers to add for the guards to look flush, rather than sunken in with the wheel liner. Where the plastic fasteners are located, they are indented inward as well, not sure why Lotus do that type of thing, but that's accounted as well with the length of spacers I will have to provide with the set. As far as using 3D printing specific size spacers or using rubber spacers, that's yet to be decided; I will mostly go with the later option. The replacement hardware being plastic (like a longer plastic ones Arch Guards provide) or a metal hardware, that's still TBD. You owners can give me some feedback on what you want to see. Metal screws may have to take into account possible rusting and cost; plastic would be cheaper but the length I want might be harder to find.
1721449508792.png

Another thing to consider is the height of these pieces. I usually make these as tall as 18", but being that the location of the 2 fastener locations are close to the bottom, it's going to require something to hold the plastic sheet to maintain the curvature of the fender wheel well. The plastic sheet I am using is thermoplastic; the same type of plastic as Kydex, made popular in the gun holster making industry for it's malleable property when being heated at super high temps, but 18" might still be asking for a lot of gap and unwanted overbending. Because of this, I may be limiting my height to 15" due to my options being fairly limited. I understand that some owners prefer a non-drill solution, so if you do want a custom cut, I can do that for you as long as you understand what issues you may come across and have to deal with yourself.
1721448391891.png
1721449676163.png

I am however evaluating a couple of solutions. One of them is essentially an S-clip that clip over the wheel liner and then the rock guard plastic at the other end. Perhaps this will be sufficient in helping the curvature? I guess time will tell, but I will some more things before I declare this as my solution.
1721448553565.png

Also, I will make the rears, but I don't have any shots to provide at this time.

Last edited:
Automotive passion They have gloss black arch guards. I had carbon fiber ones before, but I think the black ones fit my car better because I'm not planning to do any carbon on my car.

Just installed them and here you guys have a few pics.

Carbon one slightly used I have set for sale if you're interested hit me up!

IMG_2596.jpeg
IMG_2589.jpeg
IMG_2587.jpeg
IMG_2578.jpeg
IMG_2594.jpeg

Automotive passion They have gloss black arch guards. I had carbon fiber ones before, but I think the black ones fit my car better because I'm not planning to do any carbon on my car.

Just installed them and here you guys have a few pics.

Carbon one slightly used I have set for sale if you're interested hit me up!

View attachment 48129View attachment 48130View attachment 48131View attachment 48132View attachment 48133
Dang. Just ordered a set of carbon fiber ones last week.

I would prefer the extended ones for better protection personally. I am ok with a solution that requires drilling.

Let me know if you want any additional feedback. For me I want the most protection as I don't think that the bigger version would detract from the looks of the car.

Thanks
Ryan G

I would prefer the extended ones for better protection personally. I am ok with a solution that requires drilling.

Let me know if you want any additional feedback. For me I want the most protection as I don't think that the bigger version would detract from the looks of the car.

Thanks
Ryan G
The one I have you can adjust to the sides they have more than enough of protection

I'm not sure how they'd attach to a plastic car.....
So I don't really intend to offend anyone here, but I couldn't contain myself when I saw the renderings and offerings so far for the so called Emira mud flaps. I know that it's only my opinion, but as such, I have to be brutally honest in saying that I really don't get the point of slapping a thin cheap looking plastic sheet on a such a beautiful fender.

Like everyone else here, I too would prefer to protect and keep my Emira as clean as possible, but certainly not at the expense of making it look like a Semi. Having said this, there are many tastefully integrated OEM-looking mud guards in other sports cars out there and, I might add, with a more sturdy design. Take the 911 as an example, mine came with these (see picture below) from factory. While barely noticeable, they are damn effective in deterring the elements and they are so discrete that I even forget that they are there (except of course now that I started noticing them). Also, they are so well integrated in to the lower fenders that they don't interfere or spoil the lines of the car. With the facility of 3D printing these days, it can't be that hard to design and produce that type of mud guard for the Emira as well.

Just an opinion and please interpret this, as it's intended, a constructive suggestion.

Attachments

• tempImagePYtDqq.png
    tempImagePYtDqq.png
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 43
So I don't really intend to offend anyone here, but I couldn't contain myself when I saw the renderings and offerings so far for the so called Emira mud flaps. I know that it's only my opinion, but as such, I have to be brutally honest in saying that I really don't get the point of slapping a thin cheap looking plastic sheet on a such a beautiful fender.

Like everyone else here, I too would prefer to protect and keep my Emira as clean as possible, but certainly not at the expense of making it look like a Semi. Having said this, there are many tastefully integrated OEM-looking mud guards in other sports cars out there and, I might add, with a more sturdy design. Take the 911 as an example, mine came with these (see picture below) from factory. While barely noticeable, they are damn effective in deterring the elements and they are so discrete that I even forget that they are there (except of course now that I started noticing them). Also, they are so well integrated in to the lower fenders that they don't interfere or spoil the lines of the car. With the facility of 3D printing these days, it can't be that hard to design and produce that type of mud guard for the Emira as well.

Just an opinion and please interpret this, as it's intended, a constructive suggestion.
From what I learn, 3D filament is not as durable for outdoor use; though I have seen some people make them anyway. Also the nature of filament-style printing, you see a lot of textures that can easily catch dirt unless it gets body filled and sanded to remove the pits. It isn't as economical to make them and then compete with the cheaper price that injection mold factories can produce out of China that can be sold at a dime a dozen via Amazon dropship. We can consider 3D resin print, but resin in itself is not cost effective either for this size of a print.
1721793876263.png

Thanks
Ryan G
I do appreciate that some folks don't mind a drilled solution. I will certainly help me achieve my standard goal with making the height as tall as I believe gives the most protection (usually about 18"). I can DM you if you're interested in being my beta tester. I would love to use the Emira that is in my photos, but I had the kindness of a PPF shop owner to allow me to get close to this car after it was delivered from a dealership. If anybody else wants to DM me as a mean to show your interest, please feel free to do so. It'll motivate me to get them finalized as soon as I can. Have a good evening

From what I learn, 3D filament is not as durable for outdoor use; though I have seen some people make them anyway. Also the nature of filament-style printing, you see a lot of textures that can easily catch dirt unless it gets body filled and sanded to remove the pits. It isn't as economical to make them and then compete with the cheaper price that injection mold factories can produce out of China that can be sold at a dime a dozen via Amazon dropship. We can consider 3D resin print, but resin in itself is not cost effective either for this size of a print.
View attachment 48231

I do appreciate that some folks don't mind a drilled solution. I will certainly help me achieve my standard goal with making the height as tall as I believe gives the most protection (usually about 18"). I can DM you if you're interested in being my beta tester. I would love to use the Emira that is in my photos, but I had the kindness of a PPF shop owner to allow me to get close to this car after it was delivered from a dealership. If anybody else wants to DM me as a mean to show your interest, please feel free to do so. It'll motivate me to get them finalized as soon as I can. Have a good evening
Happy to beta test.

Just shoot me a pm.

They're gloss black.
Thanks, they actually look pretty good. By any chance, did you consider, or is it even feasible, to install them by inserting/wedging them inside the black wheel arch liner and the fender ? If doable, I imagine they could be held in place more firmly and could look even more discrete in the wheel well.

Thanks, they actually look pretty good. By any chance, did you consider, or is it even feasible, to install them by inserting/wedging them inside the black wheel arch liner and the fender ? If doable, I imagine they could be held in place more firmly and could look even more discrete in the wheel well.
Not really feasible as there is a small lip at the edge of the wheel arch which hides the edge of the ach liner.

Not really feasible as there is a small lip at the edge of the wheel arch which hides the edge of the ach liner.
Yes, I had noticed and it's true for the front, but not so for the rear well liner. Even so, as relates to the front wheel well, that liner seems to be made of some sort of soft plastic/fiberglass material and a small channel could be cut to allow the mud guard bottom edge through. Coincidentally, I sent a message to the folks at Automotive Passion to get their input on this. I ordered a set, so I will probably give this Idea a shot, unless Automotive Passion comes back with a good reason not to. The uncertainty I have at this point is what exactly is behind that section of the liner, but it's easy to check beforehand anyway, since it can be sufficiently pulled out to check once the pop rivet plugs are removed. Will revert with my results later on.

Back