• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Best Lotus Model For Track Day Use

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm having such a good time with my Emira that I've been considering getting a dedicated track car, and I would like to stay with the Lotus brand. Is there a specific model, year, or trim that makes for a great track car that I should keep an eye out for? I would assume that budget is probably the biggest deciding factor, so let's use $50k as the over/under number. Is it possible to have a great track day Lotus that's affordable to run during a weekend track event under $50k, or is that wishful thinking?

I would highly recommend purchasing a track car that has been modified and proven already (let others eat the depreciation) - and as much as I love the Emira would NOT recommend a Lotus. The track is brutal on cars, and having access to parts and reasonably priced consumables is an absolute must. I wouldn't put Lotus in the same category as a Cayman S or E36 M3 which decent examples are around $30k.

Thant being said this Elise with a K24 Honda conversion for $30k looks pretty slick: https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/148841/2004-lotus-elise-race-car-honda-k24

Any well-maintained Elise is perfect for a dedicated track car, especially if the track is a technical one. The only downside to an Elise is the scarcity and expense of clamshells & body panels. I’ve had 3 Elises over the years and sold my most recent one a little over a year ago…I regret selling it and am looking at getting another one.

Video of me being chased on track:

I would highly recommend purchasing a track car that has been modified and proven already (let others eat the depreciation) - and as much as I love the Emira would NOT recommend a Lotus. The track is brutal on cars, and having access to parts and reasonably priced consumables is an absolute must. I wouldn't put Lotus in the same category as a Cayman S or E36 M3 which decent examples are around $30k.

Thant being said this Elise with a K24 Honda conversion for $30k looks pretty slick: https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/148841/2004-lotus-elise-race-car-honda-k24
That K24 Elise looks like a great way to get started!

Any well-maintained Elise is perfect for a dedicated track car, especially if the track is a technical one. The only downside to an Elise is the scarcity and expense of clamshells & body panels. I’ve had 3 Elises over the years and sold my most recent one a little over a year ago…I regret selling it and am looking at getting another one.

That's a bummer about the body panels. It would be great if someone started making some carbon fiber replacement panels.

Here's a repaired Elise Clamshell.

I'll be honest; clams are what made me get rid of my Elise. The front cracked when the CR-V in front of me hit a stepladder on the highway and launched it straight for me. I'd had enough.

I'll be honest; clams are what made me get rid of my Elise. The front cracked when the CR-V in front of me hit a stepladder on the highway and launched it straight for me. I'd had enough.
Wow, that's a real bummer.

Yeah the clam replacement/repair is always a concern, although I get more concerned with significant off if there is damage to the front suspension pickups. You can replace/repair clams easy enough, front crash structure and rear subframe is easy as well but the front pickups are part of the chassis. If you get a bad enough off on track every car you consider can rack up repair costs very quick.

When looking for trackable cars I care more about consumable costs and replacing the bigger ticket mechanical items (transmission/engine) than I do the body parts.

I prefer light cars for this reason so the Elige fits perfectly for me. If it wasn't the Elige, would be looking at NC/ND Miata, BRZ/GR86 as my options. Once you start looking beyond that the run costs start increasing.

If you can wrench your own car the lotus is so easy to work on, everything is inexpensive to replace (apart from body work/full chassis). I think over 10 years and 6k+ track miles the only mechanical failures I have had so far have been 1) OEM clutch torque strap 2) ACT clutch spring 3) 3rd gear @ 50k miles. I have also had to replace the clutch release bearing every 2-3 track seasons.

Beyond that the tires are small size/inexpensive, brakes last a considerable time, and then just replace parts as they wear.

I almost picked up a VX220 a few years ago as a fun and track car. I eventually bailed due to potential bills and scarcity of the clams but I think it could have been a blast while I was waiting for the Emira. But generally speaking - it has to be light as there'll be way less stress on the mechanics and consumables.

Yeah the clam replacement/repair is always a concern, although I get more concerned with significant off if there is damage to the front suspension pickups. You can replace/repair clams easy enough, front crash structure and rear subframe is easy as well but the front pickups are part of the chassis. If you get a bad enough off on track every car you consider can rack up repair costs very quick.

When looking for trackable cars I care more about consumable costs and replacing the bigger ticket mechanical items (transmission/engine) than I do the body parts.

I prefer light cars for this reason so the Elige fits perfectly for me. If it wasn't the Elige, would be looking at NC/ND Miata, BRZ/GR86 as my options. Once you start looking beyond that the run costs start increasing.

If you can wrench your own car the lotus is so easy to work on, everything is inexpensive to replace (apart from body work/full chassis). I think over 10 years and 6k+ track miles the only mechanical failures I have had so far have been 1) OEM clutch torque strap 2) ACT clutch spring 3) 3rd gear @ 50k miles. I have also had to replace the clutch release bearing every 2-3 track seasons.

Beyond that the tires are small size/inexpensive, brakes last a considerable time, and then just replace parts as they wear.
You are spot on about the consumable costs. That's another benefit of having a really lightweight racecar. I'm able to do most of the wrenching so that also helps.

I have got an Elise as my other car. I don't use it often but even without the ultimate power of other cars there are few cars like it for making you laugh out loud. It's such great fun. If you drive a car because you want to impress others buy a Porsche, If you want a car to impress yourself buy an Elise / Exige.

I have got an Elise as my other car. I don't use it often but even without the ultimate power of other cars there are few cars like it for making you laugh out loud. It's such great fun. If you drive a car because you want to impress others buy a Porsche, If you want a car to impress yourself buy an Elise / Exige.
Those are wise words! I've always wanted an Exige so I might have to scratch that itch.

No contest.

Love my 90%+ track dedicated Miata ND that is now HKS GT2 supercharged (250HP at the wheels) for the track. More mods than I remember but running similar lap times to Cayman GTS 4.0 and base 911 in Advanced/Instructor groups. Much lower running costs than a Porsche.

Attachments

• #7 Mazda MX-5 2016 Black .pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
A 211 or 311 would be epic!

Lotus Elise is right in your price range and would be an amazing track car.

Exige would be a monster, but nearly double the price. You could always supercharge the Elise and have an Exige like car at a fraction of the cost. Not sure how durable these are on track.

If I was looking for a track car I'd figure out how serious I wanted to get (wheel to wheel for example) and what kind of equipment typically is fitted to compete in those divisions. Then try and get a car already prepped. You'll save a TON on upgrades instead of taking a pristine Elise and then stripping it out, adding cage, suspension, etc. Alternatively, get a cosmetically compromised Elise with high miles at a discount and then prep for track duty.

My words of advice after treading this path many times:-

Avoid anything engine swapped, you will have issues. I spent more time fixing than driving. The engines these cars came with work well. If you want more power buy one with more power from factory.

If it’s an Elise or Exige then make sure the toe links have been upgraded, if you value your life!

Tyres, brake pads and suspension are the most important items, not horsepower.

Elise/Exige well setup will do 12 Trackdays a year and not bat an eyelid. They are so light consumables wear at a low rate.

I recommend a decent seat and harness bar/harness. Just makes for more relaxed driving not having to brace the body.

Back