• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Car lowered with GRP - scrapes sometimes. No big deal?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi there

First off, I am not too bright with car stuff, so forgive me:

I have my car lowered with GRP.

I think its as low as it can go. It doesn't look lowered or anything obnoxious.

But when exiting some parking ramps, sometimes the car scrapes.

I have looked underneath it, and I see a few pads that seem to be able to handle the scraping.

Do these things do a pretty good job with protecting the rest of the underside of the car?

I just sometimes exit a parking lot with a steep incline and I hear the horrible sound ... then I look underneath and it looks ok.

I dont have a lift, so its hard to actaully see if any deeper damage as occured.

Just wondering if it is pretty protected by those puck things.

Thanks a lot.

Do you have any pictures of your car to see how it looks? Are you taking these steep inclines at an angle?

The pucks are held on with M6 screws. They're not terribly beefy and only into aluminum.

Are you taking these steep inclines at an angle?
This is the important part for you. You can get away with a lot of incline if you approach it with the right angle. Use the space you have, watch a few videos. It’ll become natural. You’ll scrape here and there, that’s the trade you got yourself into 😂

Do you have any pictures of your car to see how it looks? Are you taking these steep inclines at an angle?
Not many pictures, it doens't look overly lowered at all.
This is the important part for you. You can get away with a lot of incline if you approach it with the right angle. Use the space you have, watch a few videos. It’ll become natural. You’ll scrape here and there, that’s the trade you got yourself into 😂
Yes, I approach slow and at an angle, but still scrape at times. Just wondering if this scraping is hard on the car or just hitting those "pucks".

Hi there

First off, I am not too bright with car stuff, so forgive me:

I have my car lowered with GRP.

I think its as low as it can go. It doesn't look lowered or anything obnoxious.

But when exiting some parking ramps, sometimes the car scrapes.

I have looked underneath it, and I see a few pads that seem to be able to handle the scraping.

Do these things do a pretty good job with protecting the rest of the underside of the car?

I just sometimes exit a parking lot with a steep incline and I hear the horrible sound ... then I look underneath and it looks ok.

I dont have a lift, so its hard to actaully see if any deeper damage as occured.

Just wondering if it is pretty protected by those puck things.

Thanks a lot.
You are experiencing the down side of lowering an already low car. I think the pucks are more of an early warning system rather than a protection system. They are not like the heavy metal sump guards that are fitted to rally cars. One of the things I like about the (stock) Emira is that you don't really have to worry much about speed bumps and ramps. Personally, I think the car looks utterly fabulous without being lowered. I can see the benefit of lowering if you intend to race it. It's a personal preference, each to their own, so I respect your choice.