• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

'Cheap' audio Upgrade help!

Johnda1

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't listen to the audio system all the time as I prefer the sound of the V6. However, knowing that there are NO TWEETERs in the A-pillars has anyone found a way of installing some where they should be?

I understand the door speakers are a mid/high 3" driver. Surely there must be a 3" driver with a separate tweeter that can be installed?

I had a BMW 1-series that I upgraded the standard speakers to Harman Kardon units. The drivers in the doors just had a simple loom with I guess a crossover or something that you just attached the connection 'spades' to.

I just think having tweeters positioned where they should be would make a massive difference to the overall sound of the system.

I can't believe Lotus made such a thing about having Kef Audio and then installed a fairly poor system.

The system is pretty good. I recommend that you do a reset of the audio settings and take some time to listen to it. The soundstage and midrange/treble performance of the KEF system is excellent. The only weakness is in the bass.

The system is pretty good. I recommend that you do a reset of the audio settings and take some time to listen to it. The soundstage and midrange/treble performance of the KEF system is excellent. The only weakness is in the bass.
The system in the Emira is pure trash.

I have a few base trim work trucks with better sound in them, just speakers, not even subs, sounds way crispier and much louder.

Heck, even the system in my 1987 chevy sprint is better.

The system in the Emira is pure trash.

I have a few base trim work trucks with better sound in them, just speakers, not even subs, sounds way crispier and much louder.

Heck, even the system in my 1987 chevy sprint is better.
Amen! The best sound I ever experience was listening to the playback of a Motley Crue concert on my friend's TV back in the 80s while I was calling him from my house. It was like I was there.

Seems like the sound has improved over time since I’ve had mine.

Or maybe it was just my imagination, running away from me.

I am picky when it comes to sound systems and known to buy the best that is offered in any vehicle I purchase.
When I test drove the Emira at Lotus of Dallas I was not a fan of the KEF system and shared my thoughts on this forum. Many people got mad at my analysis and questioned my experience, so I went back to test drive and listen multiple times. I noticed Lotus Earth had a 1LZ and 2LZ Z06. I had one on order and the delta between those two packages was 9k. I was able to take them both for a test drive which helped me decide if the 9k was worth the money. I never thought I could handle the base Bose system, which is so much better than the KEF. Now I wonder what the base Emira system will sound like. Could it be better, maybe they use the tweeter in the A pillars?

Attachments

• 74527891788__AEF3640E-F6DD-4553-8934-B9B709AA5D24.jpeg
    74527891788__AEF3640E-F6DD-4553-8934-B9B709AA5D24.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I think the KEF system has a really narrow band of frequency that sounds good. Every once in a while it "likes" a track that I play, in the sweet spot of its range, and sounds great. Most of the time though, it's far from great. And it feels underpowered, I'm over 3/4 volume to hear anything over the road noise and engine. But I could see people reporting vastly different experiences based on the genre of music you listen to.

It's an upgrade from Elise, but that's not saying much.

Not to say a Bose system couldn't sound better in certain implementations, but I'm certain I would never put Bose in the category of high-end audio.

I think the KEF system has a really narrow band of frequency that sounds good. Every once in a while it "likes" a track that I play, in the sweet spot of its range, and sounds great. Most of the time though, it's far from great. And it feels underpowered, I'm over 3/4 volume to hear anything over the road noise and engine. But I could see people reporting vastly different experiences based on the genre of music you listen to.

It's an upgrade from Elise, but that's not saying much.
My bmw x1 2013 has 10x better sound system than my emira . I’m trying to not listen the music it’s literally embarrassing how bad it is

I am picky when it comes to sound systems and known to buy the best that is offered in any vehicle I purchase.
When I test drove the Emira at Lotus of Dallas I was not a fan of the KEF system and shared my thoughts on this forum. Many people got mad at my analysis and questioned my experience, so I went back to test drive and listen multiple times. I noticed Lotus Earth had a 1LZ and 2LZ Z06. I had one on order and the delta between those two packages was 9k. I was able to take them both for a test drive which helped me decide if the 9k was worth the money. I never thought I could handle the base Bose system, which is so much better than the KEF. Now I wonder what the base Emira system will sound like. Could it be better, maybe they use the tweeter in the A pillars?

If you visit Corvette forums, you'll find people complaining about how stereos in their other cars are "10 times better" than the sound system in the 2LT/2LZ, everything from 10 year old Porsches, Sienna vans, to RAM trucks. I see complaints of weak bass, tinny sound, and talks of the difference in tweeters between the 1LT/1LZ to the 2LT/2LZ... is this all sounding familiar?

I guess what I'm getting at is the recommendation I give to everyone who gets a new car or new stereo system - reset everything to default, listen to it like that for a few days. If you feel like you need more bass, more midrange, etc, do the adjustment in small amounts and listen for another few days. More often than not, the default settings or some small amount of adjustment will get the most "accurate" sound.

I'm in the camp that I bought the car for reasons other than the audio system and consider it a nice touch that it even has a radio. And while I am always for improvements and support those who spend the money and effort to get the satisfaction they want, the KEF system has met my expectations which is decent quality music while I'm hauling ass up a mountain road.

And Nova, Motley Crue was epic back in my day! (downloading Shout at the Devil as I type)

Not to say a Bose system couldn't sound better in certain implementations, but I'm certain I would never put Bose in the category of high-end audio.
The Bose system in our family Mazda is bangin’!
The Bose system in my brother’s Cadillac is not.

Audio system is definitely weak compared to what I'm used to.

Am I the only one that feels like the sound stage is too far forward?

You mean the sound source imaging is too distant, like you are sitting far away from it? One thing the KEF system does really well is imaging. The sound stage height, width, and placement of sound sources are all very good for a car environment - at least to my ears. The KEF system does have a null in the mid-bass region, which someone with sensitive ears may interpret as being distant from the sound source, it's still a relatively mild effect, however. I still have to take some time to figure out if this null is due to something being wired out of phase. I need to do this experiment.

Audio system is definitely weak compared to what I'm used to.

Am I the only one that feels like the sound stage is too far forward?
Yes. I prefer the sound stage in my ear. This sound stage is very clearly in front of you like you are listening to a concert from the stands. I don't love it, but I got used to it.

Would be wild if the base audio was better than the KEF. Ironically that could give the KEF owners some options to pursue upgrading...

If you visit Corvette forums, you'll find people complaining about how stereos in their other cars are "10 times better" than the sound system in the 2LT/2LZ, everything from 10 year old Porsches, Sienna vans, to RAM trucks. I see complaints of weak bass, tinny sound, and talks of the difference in tweeters between the 1LT/1LZ to the 2LT/2LZ... is this all sounding familiar?

I guess what I'm getting at is the recommendation I give to everyone who gets a new car or new stereo system - reset everything to default, listen to it like that for a few days. If you feel like you need more bass, more midrange, etc, do the adjustment in small amounts and listen for another few days. More often than not, the default settings or some small amount of adjustment will get the most "accurate" sound
Nova, we usually are on the same page. The Bose system bass is very powerful that it actually hurts your ears as you feel it, as it’s two large 10 subs. I was so surprised this is why I decided to save the extra 9k plus as GM added some extra available options like the video mirror and PDR in the base car. My 2020 C8 Z51 had the 14 speaker system and it’s better on the highs but not that drastically different to move up with the added features. The highs could be a little better in the base system but in another league. I have owned over 65 cars/Suvs and many had the top systems available. I worked part time with high-end home audio/theater systems, but let’s be honest the Emira system sucks. Not worth the upgrade and Lotus took shortcuts, when it comes to their EV SUV the KEF system sounded great.
1726087712983.jpeg

The audio in the Emira is so bad that I have to take my car back to the dealer 100 miles away to see if it's broken. If it turns out my audio works as designed I am going to be pretty dissapointed.