• The August 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 August 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Cold start stalling

Here’s a vid that shows what my car does on a cold start.
Note I had to edit out the 5-10 second gap between start attempts as the file was too large, but it shows the failed first start and the perfect second start.

At this stage Lotus seem to be pretty clueless. The software update certainly made no difference at all.
I‘m also now of the view that it’s not fuel related as I’ve tried several different brands (all 98) since this issue began with no difference in starting.

Latest from the dealer is that they’ll probably need the car for a few days to let it get completely cold and then they’ll hook up a bunch of diagnostics and do a start. Hopefully that will show what is going on.

There are no warning lights or malfunctions with the car of any sort apart from this.

View attachment 37158
My car has the exact same problem. After a week at the lotus dealer they just phoned me that the Q8 100 octanes fuel I've been using lately is the cause (lotus also confirmed this). Here is a video of what happens to me.. Solution? use all that fuel and make at least three full tanks of normal fuel. I'll let u know if this solves it.

Attachments

• accensione 03-07-24.mp4
    4.3 MB
Last edited:
My car has the exact same problem. After a week at the lotus dealer they just phoned me that the Q8 100 octanes fuel I've been using lately is the cause (lotus also confirmed this). Here is a video of what happens to me.. Solution? use all that fuel and make at least three full tanks of normal fuel. I'll let u know if this solves it.
My car is having the exact behavior you have in your video. Thanks for uploading it! It started having a mild version of this issue one tank ago - it was Costco gas. I am currently on a tank of Sheetz gas, nasty stuff. I'm going to stick to the OG dealers from now on.

Thanks for that. It is interesting that Lotus is blaming the fuel.
Frankly I don’t buy it. I’ve tried every type of 98 available here in Oz and still have the same problem.
Remember this is after not having the issue at all in the first 2000km.
(My default fuel, however, is BP98 which is generally considered to be the best available here and I’ve run for many years in my other cars with no issues).

At the moment I’m using a temporary “workaround” that Lotus told the dealer to suggest to me while they continue to try to solve the problem properly.
It works about 80% of the time.

May 2024 build, 30 miles on odometer, and my car exhibited a very similar behavior on cold startup today. It did eventually start on the first try, but I almost wish it didn't since it was so violent. Lots of sputtering, then under/over revving, and felt like not all cylinders were firing. The whole thing lasted maybe 5-6 seconds before returning to a normal idle.

My last drive was approx 10-15 miles of at varying speeds - so maybe battery still isn't fully charged?

Given my build date and newness, I think we can eliminate a (old) software being the culprit, and anything mileage related.

I have had this issue one time - a very rough cold start. I gave it a light throttle and the rev went up. It stayed at 1.5k for 3 seconds and went back to 1k normal idle.

My car is having the exact behavior you have in your video. Thanks for uploading it! It started having a mild version of this issue one tank ago - it was Costco gas. I am currently on a tank of Sheetz gas, nasty stuff. I'm going to stick to the OG dealers from now on.
Had exactly same issue today . I didn’t drive from
The last 3/4 days and cold start stall . Second attempt all good . What this could be ?

Have exactly same issue .

Here’s the workaround Lotus gave me while they find a proper solution.
I’ve found it works around 80% of the time.

1. Get in the car and without touching the brake or clutch, push and hold the start button for around 10 seconds. This turns the ignition on.
  2. Wait a few seconds
  3. Foot on the brake (and clutch if in gear) and hit the start button.
As I said, this works most of the time and although it’s not always a perfectly “clean” start it’s better than the bag of bolts and awful rattling I get otherwise.

Eventually Lotus will have a real solution.
Maybe.

As I’ve said I’m not at all convinced it’s fuel related but if some people have found using only certain brands helps them then obviously that’s good.

Here’s a vid that shows what my car does on a cold start.
Note I had to edit out the 5-10 second gap between start attempts as the file was too large, but it shows the failed first start and the perfect second start.

At this stage Lotus seem to be pretty clueless. The software update certainly made no difference at all.
I‘m also now of the view that it’s not fuel related as I’ve tried several different brands (all 98) since this issue began with no difference in starting.

Latest from the dealer is that they’ll probably need the car for a few days to let it get completely cold and then they’ll hook up a bunch of diagnostics and do a start. Hopefully that will show what is going on.

There are no warning lights or malfunctions with the car of any sort apart from this.

View attachment 37158
Have exactly i
Here’s the workaround Lotus gave me while they find a proper solution.
I’ve found it works around 80% of the time.

1. Get in the car and without touching the brake or clutch, push and hold the start button for around 10 seconds. This turns the ignition on.
  2. Wait a few seconds
  3. Foot on the brake (and clutch if in gear) and hit the start button.
As I said, this works most of the time and although it’s not always a perfectly “clean” start it’s better than the bag of bolts and awful rattling I get otherwise.

Eventually Lotus will have a real solution.
Maybe.

As I’ve said I’m not at all convinced it’s fuel related but if some people have found using only certain brands helps them then obviously that’s good.
that’s not the solution . What they are talking about . For first 1000 miles I had no issues at all with cold start and I refueling my gas in different gas stations all the time 😆

In my case is not battery . I just put the car into charger over night . Came back from work car was sitting all night . First cold start just by simply quick press on start button and car was shuttering for a 6 second and died . Second attempt no problem . :( 1200 miles

Today I did workaround and it was perfect start. But I hope someone will have a proper solution for this / anyone any updates ?

Glad to hear that. One thing I forgot to mention is that you should have the door shut when pressing and holding the start button for 10 seconds.

Apparently Lotus are working on a proper solution but it is taking the usual ridiculous amount of time.

Got it. Some people mentioned having issues related to gas. Let me ask all US owners: where are you guys filling up?

I had it happen for the first time this weekend. Started fine at home and then I filled up at the corner gas station before the engine got warm. Fired back up and it immediately died. Started again and it stumbled. Put it in track mode which boosted the revs and solved the problem. After a couple of minutes went back to sport and had no further issue.

I had it happen for the first time this weekend. Started fine at home and then I filled up at the corner gas station before the engine got warm. Fired back up and it immediately died. Started again and it stumbled. Put it in track mode which boosted the revs and solved the problem. After a couple of minutes went back to sport and had no further issue.
I just had the problem few times on cold start only first attempt . second one and next one after engine it warm is perfect

How many miles you guys have in yours? Has this been a reoccurring issue since you got the car? I have over 5500 miles and haven’t come across this yet. I usually fill up at BP, 93 octane