• The August 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 August 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Cold start stalling

If there is one thing I know about owning several lotus’s over the years, it’s how sensitive they are to voltages, etc. Every time I bought a lotus the very first thing I bought was a brand new battery. Even though the batteries that come with the car are “new”, given my experience, I spend $150 of my own money just for piece of mind. A not-perfect battery seem to make these cars do all sorts of weird things. Better to eliminate this problem off the bat and not need to do the whole back and forth with the dealer.

There are 3-4 different issues that people are experiencing. 1 is 100% software, 1 seems to be water related, 1 might be fuel pump… I agree none are fuel type used.

I had a full tank of Shell VPower - cold start issue every single time.
Then I had a full tank of what I'm going to call 'good fuel' - BP 98 from one station. Not a single cold start issue.
I let that tank empty, and filled up BP 98 again but from a different station (call it 'kinda good fuel'), and cold start issue started immediately on the next start (although not every single time like it did with V-Power). It probably happens every 5 starts now.

It is certainly fuel-related as it is returning immediately after filling the tank somewhere else... but I'm not blaming the fuel, I'm blaming the Lotus as no other car has issues with it. It seems very sensitive to even variations of the same brand of 98. The car shouldn't behave this way. Fuel pump is a guess at the moment - haven't heard of anyone solving the issue with a fuel pump replacement.

I'll put a quarter tank of V-Power in it next time to see what happens.

I had a full tank of Shell VPower - cold start issue every single time.
Then I had a full tank of what I'm going to call 'good fuel' - BP 98 from one station. Not a single cold start issue.
I let that tank empty, and filled up BP 98 again but from a different station (call it 'kinda good fuel'), and cold start issue started immediately on the next start (although not every single time like it did with V-Power). It probably happens every 5 starts now.

It is certainly fuel-related as it is returning immediately after filling the tank somewhere else... but I'm not blaming the fuel, I'm blaming the Lotus as no other car has issues with it. It seems very sensitive to even variations of the same brand of 98. The car shouldn't behave this way. Fuel pump is a guess at the moment - haven't heard of anyone solving the issue with a fuel pump replacement.

I'll put a quarter tank of V-Power in it next time to see what happens.
I wonder if it has anything to do with ethanol content? The actual ethanol mix can vary significantly between different brands, or between different fuel shipments from the same brand, depending on what the refinery is doing that week/month.

I wonder if it has anything to do with ethanol content? The actual ethanol mix can vary significantly between different brands, or between different fuel shipments from the same brand, depending on what the refinery is doing that week/month.
I really don’t think it has anything to do with type of fuel. With exactly the same tank of fuel mine has not started 1st time and been absolutely normal. Lotus are aware of the issue but don’t know the cause yet. I have given them the link to these posts so hopefully that will help. The good news is that the recent software update appears to have fixed the different starting issue that many have experienced.

I really don't believe the fuel type can have anything to do with it. If it happens right after filling up then it's possibly something to do with some emissions equipment that deal with fuel vapors or something related to the charcoal canister. Something is not creating the proper fuel pressure in certain situations.

I really don't believe the fuel type can have anything to do with it. If it happens right after filling up then it's possibly something to do with some emissions equipment that deal with fuel vapors or something related to the charcoal canister. Something is not creating the proper fuel pressure in certain situations.
Not an expert here, but I quite agree with you.
In 11.000 kms so far, never had this cold start issue, and I refueled in many different places: Repsol, Cepsa, Shell, BP, Galp...
The January software update fixed the problem with intermittent start caused by the previous software update from last October, nothing else.

Not an expert here, but I quite agree with you.
In 11.000 kms so far, never had this cold start issue, and I refueled in many different places: Repsol, Cepsa, Shell, BP, Galp...
The January software update fixed the problem with intermittent start caused by the previous software update from last October, nothing else.
This week I had to put 95 octane fuel in as i have very little left in the tank & on the motorway. No issues cold starting on that fuel either whereas I had issues in the past. My bet is still a mechanical issue with fuel flow or less likely, software

This week I had to put 95 octane fuel in as i have very little left in the tank & on the motorway. No issues cold starting on that fuel either whereas I had issues in the past. My bet is still a mechanical issue with fuel flow or less likely, software
And to add, outside temperature makes no difference, nor is damp an issue & always started in the same garage. So it is an intermittent issue without obvious cause right now. I have given Lotus this thread so let’s see what they find. It’s not a big issue for me right now

My dealer just updated my V6 software 2 weeks ago. They told me some people using Shell V-power fuel still had issues after the update. He also added it has something to do with the latest Euro emission requirement and some of the newest BMWs and Mercedes also suffer from cold start issues. After the software update, my car still stalled on cold start (I used Shell V-power and it stalled every single cold start before the software update). I waited until my tank was almost empty and tried Caltex this time. Problem solved! My car has been able to start every time since then with a smooth ignition.

2.8k km here. I had intermittent stalling as well for a couple of months, fixed itself now.

Never experienced the issue for the first probably 2000-3000km (now at around 5000km). First start of the day after sitting for perhaps 24 hours or more = cold stall. Second ignition is perfect.

I have generally used various fuels / brands (always premium 98), though I will try BP98 or something as people have mentioned that helped them. If that helps, i'll report back.

Had first service last week so software is all up to date as at 26 March 2024, Lotus aware but not of a fix. They said something about fuel trim, and fix to come in the future (but no further information).

Hi. Last couple of times I’ve done a cold start, the car faulters and stalls if I don’t rev it. Could it be software related? The fuel in my car is pretty fresh.

Any ideas of what the issue may be, I’ve had a recent software update last week? I haven’t had this with any other modern cars I’ve owned. The car has been back to the dealers twice for minor niggles/software updates (they’ve had it for total of 4 weeks) would be keen to avoid the car going back in if I can.

Thanks Mark
I have had the same issue … the fix was a software update

So, to be safe… after the dealer performs the update WE should probably disconnect the battery for an hour or two to make sure the update actually takes (in case the dealer never performed that step).

1712777457538.gif

Now I’ve got this issue as well.

I’ve done nearly 3000km in the car and it never happened for the first 2500km.
Now, every cold start is a stuttering, spluttering affair that sometimes “catches” and continues running but more often stops.
Second start attempt totally normal.

The car has only ever had BP 98 so not likely to be fuel related.

Very weird. Will have to speak to the dealer early in the new year.
it's started again for me, just as soon as I passed 2500kms...

but it's not occasional any more, it's after every cold start. At least in my case it's not software ( l had all the updates), it's not fuel (never changed). Faulty fuel pump not holding pressure perhaps?

it's started again for me, just as soon as I passed 2500kms...

but it's not occasional any more, it's after every cold start. At least in my case it's not software ( l had all the updates), it's not fuel (never changed). Faulty fuel pump not holding pressure perhaps?
Have you tried disconnecting your car battery for an hour or two? Apparently the software won’t update unless this is done, and there’s no guarantee all dealers are doing this.

Could be a very easy fix if you haven’t tried that 🤷🏽‍♂️