Cold start stalling

@Bilbao-Emira @frazzer - I think there are two separate start issues.

1) The cold-start stalling issue - where the engine wants to start then stalls. Possibly fuel or sensor related, but the jury is out.
2) It seems your issue is different - may be software or electrical if the engine doesn't turn at all.

I've only experienced 1)
Sorry, you're right. I never had the cold start / stall. I was referring to the 2nd issue. I re posted on the sometime doesn´t start thread.

Sorry, you're right. I never had the cold start / stall. I was referring to the 2nd issue. I re posted on the sometime doesn´t start thread.
FWIW .. I had a similar issue on my very first car about 20 years ago - a 1988 Honda Prelude - the car would drive fine but after a longish drive and stop, wouldn't start again. had to wait 5-15 minutes and would be all fine again.

From memory, the issue was the ignition switch, an electrical issue where the current flowing through the switch would cause it to heat up and mess with the electronics. Subsequent re-start fails, but wait 5-15 mins and all was good again. I can't remember what part I changed (maybe a relay?), but it fixed the issue at the time.

The emira issue you seem to be having sounds similar - although no key 🤷‍♂️. I don't know enough about the ignition system on the Emira - but could be worth checking out with the dealer.

Thought I'd post an update... driven daily and I have had ZERO cold start issues on this tank of BP 98. I may experiment and try different stations on subsequent fills and see how it goes 🤞. Will keep you posted.

I know science would suggest I re-try V-Power to see if the issue returns, but that was a horrible experience at every start.

Wow. That is interesting. My car is going to the dealer next week after I described this issue.
They said they’d do a software update and then if the problem persists look into it further.

As I’ve said previously I “always“ use BP98 and until a month or so ago had not had this problem at all.
I think I may have put some fuel in from a different source (but still 98) at some time recently.

Surely, surely it can’t be that. Even if it is, that is not acceptable.

Wow. That is interesting. My car is going to the dealer next week after I described this issue.
They said they’d do a software update and then if the problem persists look into it further.

As I’ve said previously I “always“ use BP98 and until a month or so ago had not had this problem at all.
I think I may have put some fuel in from a different source (but still 98) at some time recently.

Surely, surely it can’t be that. Even if it is, that is not acceptable.

Agreed, not acceptable.

They have not yet explained what exactly was being done about it. I only had quick telephone contact with the dealer about this. When I go to pick up my car again, I will find out more about what they did. In any case, the dealer told me that 3 cars with the same problem have now arrived and they have addressed the module. These have been driving around for several weeks now and no further problems have been reported from those owners with cold start problems. I won't be able to get my car back until mid-December because we are waiting for a part for the gearbox. It is only then that I can test whether the cold start problem has finally been solved or not.
My car has been back since last Saturday, I had to wait a very long time (3 months!?) for parts that had to be replaced regarding the gearbox. Anyway... the cold start problem is still there. They did explain to me that between now and January 20th there will be another update that should address the cold start problem once and for all. But I don't know how sure we should be about this anymore, because we've heard this a few times, right? As soon as the software is available I have to return with the car so that they can perform this update. I'll let you know what the result is.

Icoon voor Geverifieerd door de community

How did you go?

They still have the car. They are speaking to Lotus who are obviously aware of the issue.

Should know more tomorrow but I got the impression they may want to keep the car for a while, which is fine with me as I’m going away for a week or so.

Perhaps the aforementioned update is what they are waiting for?

I run mine on Shell V-Power all the time. it's never missed a beat.

That is interesting, as the one question they asked me yesterday was what fuel I use.

I answered that 90% of the time I use BP98.

They said that’s good, because there have been problems with cars using Shell fuel! :ROFLMAO:

It’s worth noting though that there are big differences between one country’s fuel and another. What is Shell, BP, or whatever here could be completely different in the UK / US etc.

Well I can only report my own findings.
The car has started, and run faultlessly every turn of the key, cold, hot, whatever.

I'm 1800 miles in, so far.

That’s what we’re all doing.

We can only report what we‘re each experiencing and try to help.

I had no issues at all until around 2500km in.

They still have the car. They are speaking to Lotus who are obviously aware of the issue.

Should know more tomorrow but I got the impression they may want to keep the car for a while, which is fine with me as I’m going away for a week or so.

Perhaps the aforementioned update is what they are waiting for?
The software update was released yesterday so they should be able to do it now

Hold your horses till we have some reports of successful fixes. Some things weren’t fixed for 3-4 versions while I was being told "its fixed" in this or that version 😂
I’m in the fortunate position of having a dealer within 15kms, but others… :D

Hold your horses till we have some reports of successful fixes. Some things weren’t fixed for 3-4 versions while I was being told "its fixed" in this or that version 😂
I’m in the fortunate position of having a dealer within 15kms, but others… :D
Yes - very interested to hear feedback from anyone that’s had it. My issue isn’t this but not starting with the previous update. I am assured that this has been fixed but I will find out in 2 weeks when mine is booked in

Well I can only report my own findings.
The car has started, and run faultlessly every turn of the key, cold, hot, whatever.

I'm 1800 miles in, so far.
Agreed!

I have done nearly 4k miles and it has never given me an issue irrespective of fuel that I have used.

Ok just picked up the car. It has had the latest software update that came in last night.

They are expecting the issue to be fixed but obviously want feedback over the next couple of weeks.
I’m going away tomorrow so won’t be able to check, but my wife will probably drive it once or twice so I’ve asked her to report any issues.

I did notice on the drive home that it now seems to have the hill start assist so I’m guessing that was part of the update too?

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back