• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Cold start stalling

Mine has done it just recently after nearly 2000 miles without an issue. Splutters and dies on first start up and then starts normally the second time I try it. Also might be related to after washing or being parked in the rain. Would be nice to see a reason and fix
The splutters don’t start from new, it started after a few thousand miles.

Mines in for the full works. So will let you guys know next week after the software update. Wipers motors are still on back order. Seat belts to be replaced.

Mine does it, I'm on about 1700mls, just done it again immediately after washing (not noticed this before but might be a correlation). One thing I've not heard anyone say is that when it does it brings up the yellow engine management warning, anyone else get this? Some times it clears itself (can take anything up to 5 days) but I have had it cleared at the dealer once and the cars recorded low voltage.

Mine does it, I'm on about 1700mls, just done it again immediately after washing (not noticed this before but might be a correlation). One thing I've not heard anyone say is that when it does it brings up the yellow engine management warning, anyone else get this? Some times it clears itself (can take anything up to 5 days) but I have had it cleared at the dealer once and the cars recorded low voltage.
No not had any engine warning lights yet 🤞🏼🤞🏼

No warning lights on mine too. Luckily I’ve had no warning lights for a while. 🤞🤞. Only the lumpy start frequently but not every time.

Can you specify where it recorded the low voltage? Or maybe have an OBD code at hand? Does your car run in a rough idle now?
Me and my mechanic are on the hunt for some point of water intrusion destroying sensors. It seems to be a problem shared across some builds, so any info helps!

Can you specify where it recorded the low voltage? Or maybe have an OBD code at hand? Does your car run in a rough idle now?
Me and my mechanic are on the hunt for some point of water intrusion destroying sensors. It seems to be a problem shared across some builds, so any info helps!
Sorry not much help as they didn't say where. The car idles fine normally though. I'll try and get more info when I'm back in touch with the dealer. From a thread on Facebook though it seems lotus are aware of the issue and they'll be an update "soon"

I do wonder if the cause may be something as simple as a bad batch of batteries?

Sorry not much help as they didn't say where. The car idles fine normally though. I'll try and get more info when I'm back in touch with the dealer. From a thread on Facebook though it seems lotus are aware of the issue and they'll be an update "soon"

I do wonder if the cause may be something as simple as a bad batch of batteries?
It is not the battery. I changed my battery to a brand new one as I was having some low voltage issues kicking up some warning lights, but the cold start stalling issues continue.

I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out. I also have the TPMS light flash up again.

For the record, I have about 550kms on my car. Ownership thus far has not been smooth.

I’ve added a couple videos just to compare what others are experiencing.
First Video is a near stall and then it manages to recover the revs.
2nd video car stalls the first time and then starts the 2nd time.

Attachments

• e9eee45a-804d-4e6a-89e8-ba3aca4cbaed.mp4
    2.8 MB
  • 021e2f92-33ed-404b-a4cc-74e82e8217f0.mp4
    8.1 MB
Last edited:
It is not the battery. I changed my battery to a brand new one as I was having some low voltage issues kicking up some warning lights, but the cold start stalling issues continue.

I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out. I also have the TPMS light flash up again.

For the record, I have about 550kms on my car. Ownership thus far has not been smooth.

Mines booked in next Tuesday so any feedback appreciate

I want to add that even on semi-warm startups, the engine seldom stays above 1000RPM to build temperature like most cars will. I do think it's either a sensor malfunction or a mapping issue.

Mine has done the second version of this once so far in 800 miles, how frequently is this happening to people?

A drop in idle at start followed by a recovery sounds more like a vacuum leak, to me.

Just an update. My dealer said that the cold start stalling is due to not getting enough fuel as it has drained back overnight. Second start is always fine because fuel is pumped around. Was advised that the new software update will prime the engine on entry. Had my new update installed this week and it’s not made any difference. Lumpy cold start every time and today stalled. Since new, my car always started normal until recently. The only difference I can feel is the air-con is colder but mine was always been fine. Also somehow it drives better, less jerky when changing gears

Dealers know nothing. They get as much information in between as we do and that’s zero. They hope unexplainable shit is fixed in the next update and that’s what they resort to. Spolier: It’s not fixed. Good luck next time.

Just an update. My dealer said that the cold start stalling is due to not getting enough fuel as it has drained back overnight. Second start is always fine because fuel is pumped around. Was advised that the new software update will prime the engine on entry. Had my new update installed this week and it’s not made any difference. Lumpy cold start every time and today stalled. Since new, my car always started normal until recently. The only difference I can feel is the air-con is colder but mine was always been fine. Also somehow it drives better, less jerky when changing gears
That’s not promising to hear. So basically there is no fix yet.

This still seems strange to me as it doesn’t seem to affect all cars. Perhaps we have faulty fuel pumps?

Mine is still with the dealer and I have a feeling they are going to tell me the same thing.

That’s not promising to hear. So basically there is no fix yet.

This still seems strange to me as it doesn’t seem to affect all cars. Perhaps we have faulty fuel pumps?

Mine is still with the dealer and I have a feeling they are going to tell me the same thing.
Yep every cold start after the software update is lumpy, yesterday it stalled too on a cold start. I can’t hear any pump priming the engine when I unlock the car. I can remember on a few BMW’s I had in the past you would hear like a hydraulic pump on start up. Maybe they need to redo the software again.

Got mine back from the dealer a couple days ago after it being there for 2 weeks. Yesterday started fine and I drove it for the day. Left it over night and his morning had another lumpy start. The dealer said there was nothing wrong and after plugging it into the lotus computer “should” have updated the software.

So disappointing that this issue remains unresolved. I also feel like the dealership is lying to me saying they couldn’t replicate the lumpy start (I sent them videos), and it happens once I get the car back.

Got mine back from the dealer a couple days ago after it being there for 2 weeks. Yesterday started fine and I drove it for the day. Left it over night and his morning had another lumpy start. The dealer said there was nothing wrong and after plugging it into the lotus computer “should” have updated the software.

So disappointing that this issue remains unresolved. I also feel like the dealership is lying to me saying they couldn’t replicate the lumpy start (I sent them videos), and it happens once I get the car back.
So agreed the software update doesn’t work on the cold start issue. Mine stalls every time on the 1st start when left overnight (especially when parked on an incline) 2nd start no issue.

So agreed the software update doesn’t work on the cold start issue. Mine stalls every time on the 1st start when left overnight (especially when parked on an incline) 2nd start no issue.
Yep, I have the same issue. Dealer told me to bring it back in. Most of my kms have been back and forth from the dealership. FML.

Just throwing my hat in the ring, picked up a V6 last Thursday and that has stalled every time after being left overnight on the first start. Proceeds to start fine the second time. Assume it’s on the latest software, very lumpy idle until warmed up also. Will let you guys know how I get on.