• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Cold start stalling

What happens when you pre-heat the engine (dunno how, just a thought) ?

Dont know but a little cooler today in the UK than the past couple of days so could be the reason it stalled this morning rather than starting and running rough. Starting seems to be no problem when the engine is warm.

Just coming up to the magic 1000 miles and my Emira has developed the cold start stalling issue! Began a couple of days ago with very lumpy idle on initial start after standing overnight but recovered with some gentle accelerator application. Today it tried to start then stalled. However started completely normally at the second attempt (as others have mentioned). Only seems to be a problem when the engine is cold and starts normally when warm. Does anyone know if the root cause of this problem has been identified and a fix developed? Definitely a fuel starvation issue but odd it starts completely normally a couple of seconds after stalling through lack of fuel. Almost like the ECU doesn’t compensate the fuel/air mix for a low starting temp at first try but does for the second attempt.
No fix yet. It’s a software issue (there was a software update in August but the cold start issue still persists). The engine starts second time because you’ve primed the engine on the first.

On older Mazda V6 engines this would develop over time, was from a faulty fuel pressure regulator that wouldn't hold pressure after the car was off for a while. Not sure how the Emira is setup in that regard.

Last edited:
Anyone tried putting the ignition on first and waiting a few seconds before turning over? If it’s really fuel pressure this should work fine, no?
Just to reiterate Kimmax's very astute suggestion...

Have those who are having cold start issues tried turning the ignition on first to let the fuel pump prime? This is a pretty normal thing with high performance cars.

That's a single press of ignition button (with foot off brake), then a deliberate pause for 2 or 3 seconds, then press brake and hold ignition button to start.

Have those who are having cold start issues tried turning the ignition on first to let the fuel pump prime? This is a pretty normal thing with high performance cars.

That's a single press of ignition button (with foot off brake), then a deliberate pause for 2 or 3 seconds, then press brake and hold ignition button to start.
I think you have to press and hold for about 5s to turn the ignition on, no?

Will give to a try as a short term fix. Bit of a faff if we have to do it all the time. I probably forget tbh.

Will give to a try as a short term fix. Bit of a faff if we have to do it all the time. I probably forget tbh.
I thought there was a software fix a few weeks ago that pressurized the fuel via fuel pump running briefly when the doors were unlocked, but this failed to fix the problem. Wouldn't this be similar to switching the ignition on.

I thought there was a software fix a few weeks ago that pressurized the fuel via fuel pump running briefly when the doors were unlocked, but this failed to fix the problem. Wouldn't this be similar to switching the ignition on.
Yes, but either way, we're talking about verifying the fuel pump has primed prior to starting the car. In most vehicles you can hear it spin up and pressurize the system.

I think you have to press and hold for about 5s to turn the ignition on, no?
one does yes

This also allows drive mode selection to start up in sport or track

Yes, but either way, we're talking about verifying the fuel pump has primed prior to starting the car. In most vehicles you can hear it spin up and pressurize the system.
Agree, you should be able to hear a whining buzzing noise after you unlocked your car on most push start button cars I’ve owned. Not on the Emira though.

Agree, you should be able to hear a whining buzzing noise after you unlocked your car on most push start button cars I’ve owned. Not on the Emira though.
But I do have the climate fan running on unlocking, which stops when I open the boot to remove the battery conditioner connection or open the driver's door.

But I do have the climate fan running on unlocking, which stops when I open the boot to remove the battery conditioner connection or open the driver's door.
Yip agree, fans comes on, wireless Apple CarPlay comes on, unfortunately they don’t prime the engine. The cold start issue is completely random. Most times, it starts first time but very lumpy. Second time is perfect.

Tried starting the car this evening after leaving for 24h. Followed Kimmax’s suggestion and activated the ignition without pressing the clutch (had to wait around 10 seconds for the display to light up!) then a further 10 secs before depressing the clutch and pressing the starter. Result - success! Engine started 1st time and ran normally. Was listening out for electric pump priming noises but nothing of note other than the cabin air fan starting up when unlocking the door. I agree it does seem to be a fuel pressure/pump priming problem.

Tried starting the car this evening after leaving for 24h. Followed Kimmax’s suggestion and activated the ignition without pressing the clutch (had to wait around 10 seconds for the display to light up!) then a further 10 secs before depressing the clutch and pressing the starter. Result - success! Engine started 1st time and ran normally. Was listening out for electric pump priming noises but nothing of note other than the cabin air fan starting up when unlocking the door. I agree it does seem to be a fuel pressure/pump priming problem.
Be advised the car will also start with only the brake pressed - keep that in mind if you park in gear ⚙️

Be advised the car will also start with only the brake pressed - keep that in mind if you park in gear ⚙️
What? Emira doesn't have a Clutch interlock switch with the ignition? I thought every manual tranny car had this safety feature?

This safety feature will allow you to hobble out of danger's way when the ignition subsystem fails in the middle of a railroad crossing.

This safety feature will allow you to hobble out of danger's way when the ignition subsystem fails in the middle of a railroad crossing.

Haha.... I find it hard to believe that is why Lotus did not put in the Clutch interlock switch. Plus it doesn't work as you have to press the brake to get the starter to turn o_O so the car will not "hobble" anywhere.

Just seems like another cost saving measure........