• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Cost for Oil Change?

Yeah the ramps can work, but I heard it's more difficult.
Question for you on the ramps...I'm thinking of using the ramps to make it easier to remove the underpanel. Then roll the car back down on the flat surface to remove the drain plug and oil filter (assuming I can reach those). Then back on the ramps to fit the underpanel.

Is this how you use yours or is there a better way?

Question for you on the ramps...I'm thinking of using the ramps to make it easier to remove the underpanel. Then roll the car back down on the flat surface to remove the drain plug and oil filter (assuming I can reach those). Then back on the ramps to fit the underpanel.

Is this how you use yours or is there a better way?
See my post #236 on a different but related thread:

I changed my oil/filter using Canada's equivalent of "Rhino Ramps" but further elevated with a 2x4 frame I made (see photos I posted). I know others have done the oil/filter change using Rhino Ramps only, but I know it'll be a tight squeeze w/o the extra height I had. You won't be able to access the drain plug and filter, once you roll the car down off the ramps. But it's not the end of the world if you try; you haven't drained anything at that point so you can drive back up on the ramps. Good luck!

See my post #236 on a different but related thread:

I changed my oil/filter using Canada's equivalent of "Rhino Ramps" but further elevated with a 2x4 frame I made (see photos I posted). I know others have done the oil/filter change using Rhino Ramps only, but I know it'll be a tight squeeze w/o the extra height I had. You won't be able to access the drain plug and filter, once you roll the car down off the ramps. But it's not the end of the world if you try; you haven't drained anything at that point so you can drive back up on the ramps. Good luck!
Thanks for the info and the write-up on the other thread.

I guess my main concern is getting all the oil to drain with it on the ramps since it won't be level.
I'm not due for an oil change for a while so I have time to figure it out.

I guess my main concern is getting all the oil to drain with it on the ramps since it won't be level.
I wouldn’t worry much about it. You would literally be getting 98% of the old oil out and replacing it with clean oil.

I put mine up on race ramps wheel cribs. Went with the 12” two piece ramps, so 6” under each wheel. It gave me enough room to get under and remove the under tray. It was tight but doable.
IMG_3998.jpeg

I wouldn’t worry much about it. You would literally be getting 98% of the old oil out and replacing it with clean oil.
Didn't realize that much would drain out. That was the only thing holding me back.

Appreciate it!

Imagine all the oil that’s not drained at these fast lube shops, where customer turn-over is everything. I don’t think you should feel guilty about your vehicle not draining properly since I suspect you’ll leave it long enough for at least the steady drip, to disappear. The new filter should catch 99% of the impurities in the small amount you might miss. I’d worry more about the space you’ll have below the vehicle to work under it, which is the challenge when you don’t have a lift. Good luck and safety first!

If you are worried about not being level, you can put all 4 wheels on ramps or use jack stands.

Oil change it’s super simple on this car . I bought 12qt of oil for 70 or 80$ plus 2 filters oem for like 14$ . 20 min and I still got one filter and 6qt of oil for next oil change . So I would say 55$ cost me my oil change lol 😆

Oil change it’s super simple on this car . I bought 12qt of oil for 70 or 80$ plus 2 filters oem for like 14$ . 20 min and I still got one filter and 6qt of oil for next oil change . So I would say 55$ cost me my oil change lol 😆
Good deal for sure, but are you really saying that it took you only 20 minutes to complete the oil & filter including the removal and replacement of the under trays?

Good deal for sure, but are you really saying that it took you only 20 minutes to complete the oil & filter including the removal and replacement of the under trays?
Yeah I did it with my friend it was about 30 min top .

Yeah I did it with my friend it was about 30 min top .
ok,makes more sense and thanks. I'm getting prepared for my own first DIY oil change, but I've seen posts here stating much longer processes. I'm calculating that it'l take me around 1 1/2 hrs since I've already done lots of research (mostly via this Forum) and have the tools and accessories ready.

Yeah I did it with my friend it was about 30 min top
ok,makes more sense and thanks. I'm getting prepared for my own first DIY oil change, but I've seen posts here stating much longer processes. I'm calculating that it'l take me around 1 1/2 hrs since I've already done lots of research (mostly via this Forum) and have the tools and accessories ready.
i had all my tools ready . You don’t need much . 1/30 min I change oil / install 3rd cat and valve controller .

Lotus of North Jersey:
1000010258.jpg

$349 labor for ~2 hours work, this is on the high side.
Mobil1 oil cost is the same if you buy from Walmart (Euro car formula), no issues there.