• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Cracked windshield

3A3968M

Reaction score
After almost 3 months of the ownership as I approached my 1000 mile mark, a rock flew into my windshield on the dreaded NJ Route 22. So now I have a dollar bill lengthwise crack on the passenger side. I called the Lotus of North Jersey service and they are getting a replacement for me at almost $4K price point, I hope my insurance reimburses me minus the deductible - I opened a claim with Geico. Now I’m contemplating if putting a ppl like film on the windshield is worth it. It’s not an issue per se but I’d keep everyone updated should you go thru similar process in the US or particularly in the Arm pits of the States - New Jersey.

Ugh. I hate seeing things like this. It's also an unfortunate side-effect of having a car with such a low profile, when virtually everything else on the road towers over you. Pickup trucks especially today are gigantic. There's so much available space underneath for their huge tires to spit out rocks and gravel behind them. SUV's are getting almost as big, and have the same issue. I find myself leaving much more space between me and the vehicles in front of me when I'm in the Emira. Even if I don't get a cracked windshield, I still don't want chips and pits in the front of the car or the windshield itself.

If you find a good windshield film that doesn't compromise visibility (or wiper function in the rain), and protects the windshield let us know! Probably need the same thing for the headlights.

After almost 3 months of the ownership as I approached my 1000 mile mark, a rock flew into my windshield on the dreaded NJ Route 22. So now I have a dollar bill lengthwise crack on the passenger side. I called the Lotus of North Jersey service and they are getting a replacement for me at almost $4K price point, I hope my insurance reimburses me minus the deductible - I opened a claim with Geico. Now I’m contemplating if putting a ppl like film on the windshield is worth it. It’s not an issue per se but I’d keep everyone updated should you go thru similar process in the US or particularly in the Arm pits of the States - New Jersey.
I’ve cracked my windshield twice. My dealer quoted $4k. Never had this problem with my Cayman. It’s had rock hits without damage. I wonder if Lotus is aware of this vulnerability. The car has been nothing less than amazing, with this one exception.

A couple of months ago, I had my Emira PPF'd (full body) including headlights, plus ceramic coating and, despite having debated with my installer at the time to include the windshield protection film, for some reason, I skipped it. Since then, it's been in the back of my mind to get it done and now, hearing scary stories like these, I'm definitely compelled to go for it. Aside from replacement cost, I also hear that new windshields for the Emira take quite a long time to get.
So for the past month or so, I've been doing some research on the different alternative films and it seems that there's really no perfect film out there and the ones that protect the most, are also the ones that also produce some visual distortion and harder to install, affecting fit & finish. The conclusion I came to was that the film offering the best compromise for my requirements, clear visibility being a super important one, is ClearPlex by Madico. If, by chance, you're planing to install it yourself, this film is not for you as Madico does not sell retail, only to dealers, so you would have to get a local installer that is a Madico dealer to do it. Cost, including installation, is likely run you between $650 and $800 (South Florida pricing). Hope this helps some.