Crazy Question, can I modify the Emira have a removable roof?

zzthechampion

Reaction score
I know the Exige and Elise had this function where you could remove the roof. It would be awesome to have something like the Corvette where the roof is easily removed. I know it sounds crazy but that is the one thing I wish the Emira had that it doesnt- otherwise its the perfect car for me. Would it be possible with how the car is designed or would that be a huge pain? I especially don’t want to damage any electronics.

Yikes, I can't imagine a insurance company in the UK touching this kind of mod. Even car engineering companies would struggle to find a insurance company to agree to this without a structural company guaranteeing it and proof Lotus shared specific chassis information for the calculations.

I have to say it is a cool idea and think you should just go for it with a disc cutter and see if it falls in half when going over speed bumps. :) (y)

Lanzante could do it. Just expensive
1728329455450.png

Is that a convertible? Or a Roadster? It could just be really good execution but I'm not seeing anywhere for a roof to go.

Lets not forget, the P1 Doors are not frameless windows.

1728353586651.png

Is that a convertible? Or a Roadster? It could just be really good execution but I'm not seeing anywhere for a roof to go.

Lets not forget, the P1 Doors are not frameless windows.

View attachment 53050

Its a permanently open top but has a temporary fabric roof that can be used incase it rains. The doors still hinge in a similar fashion but anchored at the fender area/tub chassis.

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 10.29.36 PM.jpg

Saw the Emira chassis in a video. The bonded aluminum chassis are designed for roadsters and the roof doesn't serve any structural purposes. This makes the Emira roadster much more likely, but I don't think Lotus would ever make that.
1728354942528.png

Saw the Emira chassis in a video. The bonded aluminum chassis are designed for roadsters and the roof doesn't serve any structural purposes. This makes the Emira roadster much more likely, but I don't think Lotus would ever make that.
View attachment 53055
As far as I know they've already emphatically said they will not.

If you are that determined to have removal roof I would look for a used upper end car that has it and not take a chance on structure of Emira and plus you will be adding weight to it with what will be needed to give strength for the removed roof section...
If it is about you need to have Emira with removed roof section than spend the money and do not ask just find company and have it done ..One of a kind you will have... I did same thing with a Turbo Slingshot and took 2 years in design and shaping and happy with results but others ask why did you waste all that effort and money ..I wanted it and one of a kind..LOL

Attachments

• 9DB06727-C3DF-407D-AE2A-5AA3A59BD330_1_105_c.jpeg
    9DB06727-C3DF-407D-AE2A-5AA3A59BD330_1_105_c.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 7
If you are that determined to have removal roof I would look for a used upper end car that has it and not take a chance on structure of Emira and plus you will be adding weight to it with what will be needed to give strength for the removed roof section...
If it is about you need to have Emira with removed roof section than spend the money and do not ask just find company and have it done ..One of a kind you will have... I did same thing with a Turbo Slingshot and took 2 years in design and shaping and happy with results but others ask why did you waste all that effort and money ..I wanted it and one of a kind..LOL
Cool, but what did you do with the other half of the car? :confused:

Cool, but what did you do with the other half of the car? :confused:
This is a 3 wheel Polaris Slingshot that I custom made body.. This is a 5 speed with 300 HP and weights 1400 lbs and has a 80 inch front wheel tracking width and probably more fun than my Lotus will be but I just can not stop looking at Emira..
The gray one is what it looked like when new..

Attachments

• C3E41328-84C8-459B-BA79-64317ED9536E_1_105_c.jpeg
    C3E41328-84C8-459B-BA79-64317ED9536E_1_105_c.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 21544657-27F3-4515-BA6A-E13577141D84_1_105_c.jpeg
    21544657-27F3-4515-BA6A-E13577141D84_1_105_c.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 8
This is a 3 wheel Polaris Slingshot that I custom made body.. This is a 5 speed with 300 HP and weights 1400 lbs and has a 80 inch front wheel tracking width and probably more fun than my Lotus will be but I just can not stop looking at Emira..
The gray one is what it looked like when new...
Yeah, I did realize it was a 3 wheeler, but couldn't hold back on making my silly comment given the angle of the picture concealing the rear wheel. Congrats on your project.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back