• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Custom MagSafe Wireless Charger

Haffway

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Alright @Haffway, I found a model of a MagSafe case for the Galaxy S23/24 Ultra and printed it to test.

I need to make a slight modification to the camera stack cutout to fit the S24 but it will fit. Phone will stick out a little less than it does in the OEM tray. (y)

View attachment 43212
Thank you for taking the extra time to help me!

Medic518

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Little update. I plan to start shipping some if not most of them out this week. Still waiting on a couple of connectors and upholstering is time consuming but we're getting there!

IMG_4234.jpeg

IMG_4246.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You do really good work!
Thank you 🙏

Add me to the list for the next batch too now that I know you can do it for the ultra too
Added!

Updated list and bump for those that haven't specified phone type. If you don't, you will receive an iPhone tray by default. Current supported phones are: all MagSafe enabled iPhones, Google Pixel 8 and Samsung Galaxy S23/24 Ultra (with MagSafe compatible cases)

1. @Rapture - iPhone 14 Pro
2. @Bilbao-Emira - iPhone 15 Pro Max
3. @Medic518 - iPhone 14 Pro Max
4. @GlynV6 - iPhone 13
5. @Porter - Pixel 8
6. @squish - iPhone 14 Pro Max
7. @KCDarkV - iPhone 13 mini
8. @GRP - iPhone 14
9. @bpleroy - iPhone 13
10. @T6061 - ?
11. @gmbc - iPhone 14 Pro
12. @Haffway - Samsung Galaxy s23 ultra
13. @Seneca Detroit - iPhone 13 Pro & iPhone 14
14. @User461 - 15 Pro Max
15 @ef_arime - iPhone 15 Pro

Standby/2nd batch:

1. @wuster - Samsung Galaxy s23 ultra
2. @invictusmaneo - iPhone 15 Pro
3. @scarzie - S23/24 Ultra

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
FYI for those with a Pixel 8, the specs I provided to him for the MagSafe case are for the one from Peak Design. Highly recommended, if you don't already have a case like this.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Small update. I have 9 ready to go. I’ll reach out to those people on Monday so we can sort out final payment and shipping details. The remaining 6 will be completed before the end of next week.

We had a bad storm roll through Houston and the aftermath of it hindered my plans to finish them this weekend. We haven’t had power since Thursday and I’ve been dealing with clean up.

Apologies for the slight delay!

IMG_4362.jpeg

Last edited:

Rapture

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Small update. I have 9 ready to go. I’ll reach out to those people on Monday so we can sort out final payment and shipping details. The remaining 6 will be completed before the end of next week.

We had a bad storm roll through Houston and the aftermath of it hindered my plans to finish them this weekend. We haven’t had power since Thursday and I’ve been dealing with clean up.

View attachment 43772
I hope everything is okay for you as you get through the aftermath of the storm.

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thank you! We came out pretty unscathed, I’ve been occupied mostly helping friends and family the last couple of days that weren’t so lucky.

Storm came out of nowhere and lasted all of 30min. I had the car up on the quickjacks in the middle of the garage for an oil change when trash cans started flying around. I've never cleaned up faster lol.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
@silent cilantro you are a proper mad scientist. Am I right in thinking you are building one form for iPhones that will be compatible with multiple models?

I have an iPhone 12 mini (I think I win the contest for oldest phone) and will keep it until it stops working and I need to upgrade to something new. Will the iPhone 12 mini still work?

OP
S

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
@silent cilantro you are a proper mad scientist. Am I right in thinking you are building one form for iPhones that will be compatible with multiple models?

I have an iPhone 12 mini (I think I win the contest for oldest phone) and will keep it until it stops working and I need to upgrade to something new. Will the iPhone 12 mini still work?

Correct, the iPhone version will work with all sizes that support MagSafe.
Was in San Antonio Wed. - Fri., and saw the news after I landed Friday afternoon. Shocked when I saw the damage, it was threatening in San Antonio all day Thursday, but we got nothing.

Glad it missed you. It was not fun lol.
-----

Production Update!

I should be able to finish all remaining kits this week (Check your PMs) The ones that don’t go out by this Thursday will ship right after Memorial Day.

I will also be reducing the price of the kit from $300 + shipping to $285 shipped within cont. US. I was able to save some money by ordering a few of the parts in bulk so wanted to pass the savings along. I am doing this more to help the community than anything else. If I was just printing a tray and slapping a wireless charger on it I would probably do it for way less. Measuring, cutting, pinning, soldering, sleeving, upholstering, testing, etc takes more time than I expected :p

Lastly, I have received a few questions in PMs so I would like to address some of them here as I think it’s good information.

• Will my iPhone [N] work with this?

• Yes, all MagSafe enabled iPhones will work.
  • Will my Android phone work with this?
    • I currently have versions for the Pixel 8 and Galaxy S23/24 Ultra phones. However, I can modify the tray to fit most phones.
  • Will this work with my case?

• It depends. All my testing was done with no case as I can't account for all the different variations out there. If the case is not MagSafe compatible your phone will either not charge or not be held in place by the MagSafe puck built into the tray. Case thickness also affects charge rates. If you are having issues (high temps, slow charging) please remove the phone from the case, let it cool down and try again.
  • How fast does it charge?
    • The power supply will provide the charger the necessary [email protected] for 20W charging. This doesn't mean your phone will charge at this rate all the time though (or even most of the time). Factors such as phone temperature and load play a big role in determining charging speeds. iOS constantly adjusts how much power the phone gets and will sometimes even stop charging altogether if certain criteria is met. Most commonly, high temperature. Inductive charging generates heat, the phone will protect itself and stop charging if temps get too high. This is a common issue with wireless chargers and this kit is not immune to it.
  • My phone is not charging, what's up with that?
    • As mentioned above, there will be instances where iOS will pause charging due to temperature. This is normal. Go to Settings>Battery and look above the graph, it will tell you the max battery percentage reached before charging was paused. As mentioned above, wireless charing inherently generates heat, add that to the heat generated by the phone's processors while running multiple apps (GPS, music streaming, etc) and it will result in slower charging rates. Wireless charging is tricky and it will never be as fast as wired, but I feel like a car with wireless Apple CarPlay should have the option of wireless charging. I still keep a cable for those moments I need to charge faster. (Top Tip: Connect it to the spare USB-A port in the power supply included in the kit and your phone will charge even faster than when connected to the car's onboard USB)
  • Why do I need a dedicated power supply? Can't I just connect it to the USB port in the car?
    • Based on my testing, the USB port in the car provides only 5V@2A to the MagSafe charger. This means the max you can get out of it under ideal conditions is 10W. Several people have reported having issues when using these ports so your mileage will vary.
  • Can I use the power supply to power/charge something else?
    • We are repurposing the electronic toll collector connector in the car's harness behind the glovebox. This is fused at 5amps so the max draw before you potentially blow that fuse is 60W. The power supply we are using is rated at 60W from the USB-C port and 18W from the USB-A port:
      - 60 Watts USB C PD (5V/3A, 9V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/3A)(PPS 5.0~5.9V/3A, PPS 3.3~20V/3A)
      - 18 Watts USB A QC 3.0 (9V 2A, 6V 3A)
      - 78 Watts Peak Total Combined Power Output (75 Watts Nominal Total Combined Output)
      As long as you don't exceed 60W total you should be able to power multiple devices from it. ie: a dashcam, a radar detector, the wireless charger, etc.
  • Do I need to cut, tap or splice anything in order to install the power supply?
    • No, I will provide a harness that will plug into an existing connector behind the glovebox. This connector provides Ground, ACC and BATT. The latter is not used but I extended it anyway in case anybody wants to repurpose the harness to power something else. (Harness is long enough to be routed down to the passenger side footwell where the fuse box is)
  • Will you have have installation instructions.
    • Yes. I will be writing some instruction to access the connector behind the glovebox, it is really not that complicated. The rest is pretty straight forward

I think that covers most of it. Shoot me a message if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

jubbalandcars

Reaction score

View attachment 43772
This is awesome!! If you're going another batch, I'm interested! I have an iPhone 15 Pro

crestima

Reaction score
Correct, the iPhone version will work with all sizes that support MagSafe.

Glad it missed you. It was not fun lol.
-----

Production Update!

I should be able to finish all remaining kits this week (Check your PMs) The ones that don’t go out by this Thursday will ship right after Memorial Day.

I will also be reducing the price of the kit from $300 + shipping to $285 shipped within cont. US. I was able to save some money by ordering a few of the parts in bulk so wanted to pass the savings along. I am doing this more to help the community than anything else. If I was just printing a tray and slapping a wireless charger on it I would probably do it for way less. Measuring, cutting, pinning, soldering, sleeving, upholstering, testing, etc takes more time than I expected :p

Lastly, I have received a few questions in PMs so I would like to address some of them here as I think it’s good information.

• Will my iPhone [N] work with this?

• Yes, all MagSafe enabled iPhones will work.
  • Will my Android phone work with this?
    • I currently have versions for the Pixel 8 and Galaxy S23/24 Ultra phones. However, I can modify the tray to fit most phones.
  • Will this work with my case?

• It depends. All my testing was done with no case as I can't account for all the different variations out there. If the case is not MagSafe compatible your phone will either not charge or not be held in place by the MagSafe puck built into the tray. Case thickness also affects charge rates. If you are having issues (high temps, slow charging) please remove the phone from the case, let it cool down and try again.
  • How fast does it charge?
    • The power supply will provide the charger the necessary [email protected] for 20W charging. This doesn't mean your phone will charge at this rate all the time though (or even most of the time). Factors such as phone temperature and load play a big role in determining charging speeds. iOS constantly adjusts how much power the phone gets and will sometimes even stop charging altogether if certain criteria is met. Most commonly, high temperature. Inductive charging generates heat, the phone will protect itself and stop charging if temps get too high. This is a common issue with wireless chargers and this kit is not immune to it.
  • My phone is not charging, what's up with that?
    • As mentioned above, there will be instances where iOS will pause charging due to temperature. This is normal. Go to Settings>Battery and look above the graph, it will tell you the max battery percentage reached before charging was paused. As mentioned above, wireless charing inherently generates heat, add that to the heat generated by the phone's processors while running multiple apps (GPS, music streaming, etc) and it will result in slower charging rates. Wireless charging is tricky and it will never be as fast as wired, but I feel like a car with wireless Apple CarPlay should have the option of wireless charging. I still keep a cable for those moments I need to charge faster. (Top Tip: Connect it to the spare USB-A port in the power supply included in the kit and your phone will charge even faster than when connected to the car's onboard USB)
  • Why do I need a dedicated power supply? Can't I just connect it to the USB port in the car?
    • Based on my testing, the USB port in the car provides only 5V@2A to the MagSafe charger. This means the max you can get out of it under ideal conditions is 10W. Several people have reported having issues when using these ports so your mileage will vary.
  • Can I use the power supply to power/charge something else?
    • We are repurposing the electronic toll collector connector in the car's harness behind the glovebox. This is fused at 5amps so the max draw before you potentially blow that fuse is 60W. The power supply we are using is rated at 60W from the USB-C port and 18W from the USB-A port:
      - 60 Watts USB C PD (5V/3A, 9V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/3A)(PPS 5.0~5.9V/3A, PPS 3.3~20V/3A)
      - 18 Watts USB A QC 3.0 (9V 2A, 6V 3A)
      - 78 Watts Peak Total Combined Power Output (75 Watts Nominal Total Combined Output)
      As long as you don't exceed 60W total you should be able to power multiple devices from it. ie: a dashcam, a radar detector, the wireless charger, etc.
  • Do I need to cut, tap or splice anything in order to install the power supply?
    • No, I will provide a harness that will plug into an existing connector behind the glovebox. This connector provides Ground, ACC and BATT. The latter is not used but I extended it anyway in case anybody wants to repurpose the harness to power something else. (Harness is long enough to be routed down to the passenger side footwell where the fuse box is)
  • Will you have have installation instructions.
    • Yes. I will be writing some instruction to access the connector behind the glovebox, it is really not that complicated. The rest is pretty straight forward

I think that covers most of it. Shoot me a message if you have any other questions.
Very interested in getting one for my Iphone 15 Pro, but please place me on the standby list as I myself am on the standby list (2. 1/2 yrs now) to order my Emira, although I understand from my dealer's feedback that I should be specking mine soon. I'll let you know as soon as I get my order in. Thank you and great job with this.