• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Do people really dislike the covered start button?

How do you feel about the covered start button?

• It’s annoying/I don’t like it

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • I like it because it makes me feel like a fighter pilot

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • I’m indifferent

Votes: 46 43.4%

• Total voters
Speaking of staying out of the way, what would have been really cool is if alternatively Lotus had made that push button for a gatling gun, you know, to get rid of incompetent drivers or, a surface-to-air missile (a la James Bond) to blow up pesky police helicopters tracking you down 95 or, a mother-in-law passenger seat eject, any of which would be well deserving of a gated claw button regardless if it stayed up or down. I know, I know...wishful thinking.
In that case the cover should stay flipped up to be in ready status, or perhaps a separate illuminated switch overhead for arming such devices.

I'm indifferent to it. Don't feel strongly either way, but what I would have liked is to be able to spec the colour.

I would have chosen black or maybe yellow.
That surround is quite literally the only red thing on my car so it seems a bit out of place.

There's plenty of pilots here.. Commercial aviation guarded switches are like the starter. They have to be held up to press them. Maybe military ones snap up and stay out of the way?
Now I'm curious what aircraft have switches like that. I've never seen a guarded switch that had to be held up like the Emira starter, sounds like a poor decision requiring two hands off the controls. Then again I've only flown Boeing and 3 other type/model/series of various military aircraft so far, but the switches are always the same type. No real different than the knockoff versions you can find at most auto parts stores or amazon.

Here's a blurry cropped photo I took years ago of the weapons control panel on a P-8 where you can see them in both the open and closed position at the bottom of the photo. Obviously these would look silly in a car and like most things safety related, are purely function over form (the opposite of the Emira switch)

IMG_6822.PNG

Now I'm curious what aircraft have switches like that. I've never seen a guarded switch that had to be held up like the Emira starter, sounds like a poor decision requiring two hands off the controls. Then again I've only flown Boeing and 3 other type/model/series of various military aircraft so far, but the switches are always the same type. No real different than the knockoff versions you can find at most auto parts stores or amazon.

Here's a blurry cropped photo I took years ago of the weapons control panel on a P-8 where you can see them in both the open and closed position at the bottom of the photo. Obviously these would look silly in a car and like most things safety related, are purely function over form (the opposite of the Emira switch)
1000023712.jpg

As an example, APU E-stop, IDG disconnect, pressurization dump valve, engine driven hydraulic pump shutoffs. This is taken from an Embraer, but I've seen this kind of switch on everything I've flown commercially.

View attachment 48355
As an example, APU E-stop, IDG disconnect, pressurization dump valve, engine driven hydraulic pump shutoffs. This is taken from an Embraer, but I've seen this kind of switch on everything I've flown commercially.
Learned something new today. Now that I've seen this diagram those little clear window guards look familiar. Being hinged at the bottom looks to be key as well.

Airbus ones are hinged at the top.. In practice all guarded switches require verification from both people to be activated.

Remember, in an aircraft you don't have a passenger sitting next to you that might inadvertently press a switch during flight. Russel Carr seemed to suggest in the Catchpole interview that the cover was to keep the switch from being cycled while you were on the road at speed which might not be the best time to lose engine power. He seemed to suggest it was a regulatary/safety requirement. Say your passenger was putting a drink in the cupholder and wasn't paying attention. I'm guessing if the start/stop button was on the dash somewhere rather than on the center console the guard wouldn't be needed. That at least explains the spring to keep the cover in place...

Easy enough to operate...adds a bit of theater to start-up (rolls down the window and yells, "Clear prop!") Not worth thinking too much about!

Last edited:
There are three or four guarded switches in the aircraft I fly (PC-24), all hinged at the top and have to be held up to use.

I think the start switch in the Emira is purely a styling exercise.
I have two other cars in the garage both of which have the start button in the centre console and no guard.

I'm indifferent to it. Don't feel strongly either way, but what I would have liked is to be able to spec the colour.

I would have chosen black or maybe yellow.
That surround is quite literally the only red thing on my car so it seems a bit out of place.
Same. Yellow to match the other accents on my car would’ve been nice. Maybe the aftermarket will provide.

I'm never going to look at my starter button the same. I am not sure that is a good thing. My car makes me feel like a oversexed pervert.

I'm never going to look at my starter button the same. I am not sure that is a good thing. My car makes me feel like a oversexed pervert.
Most guys give cherished cars a female name, especially after they give them
the ride of their life. Then there's the whole stick shift thing.
Not sure who coined auto-erotica.
They did us a favor.

Most guys give cherished cars a female name, especially after they give them
the ride of their life. Then there's the whole stick shift thing.
Not sure who coined auto-erotica.
They did us a favor.

Really?
I know a lot of guys with a lot of cars and I’ve never heard that before.
At least not seriously.

Sure, for a laugh we called our crappy old Range Rover “Betsy Lou”, but that was nothing to do with auto erotica (which I think you’ll find is a term that has nothing to do with cars).

Each to their own, of course…

Really?
I know a lot of guys with a lot of cars and I’ve never heard that before.
At least not seriously.

Sure, for a laugh we called our crappy old Range Rover “Betsy Lou”, but that was nothing to do with auto erotica (which I think you’ll find is a term that has nothing to do with cars).

Each to their own, of course…
A personal thing for sure.
Then again, there's the Eleanor Mustang.
The pinnacle would be the Lotus Elise
And Emira translates to 'princess.'
Call it what you will....

IMO it’s more of a function over form considering its placement, it’s right behind the shifter so having a cover is a must so you won’t turn off your engine accidentally with your wrist if you rest your hand, thus making the cover not like the lambo style where it stays up makes a lot of sense as it needs to stay down so it won’t interfere. Either way I’m in the like it camp is it has function (considering its placement) + it adds to the looks and occasion.

I kinda wish there was like a clip on cover for it, to make it black or something. Can anyone do this?

it’s right behind the shifter so having a cover is a must so you won’t turn off your engine accidentally with your wrist
You can't turn off the engine accidentally. At least not while the car is moving.

If you do try, you'll get a confirmation dialog in the dashboard telling you that you have to press and hold the button to actually turn off the engine.