• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Do people really dislike the covered start button?

How do you feel about the covered start button?

• It’s annoying/I don’t like it

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • I like it because it makes me feel like a fighter pilot

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • I’m indifferent

Votes: 46 43.4%

• Total voters
Personally like it and doesn’t bother me. Think some people just get a little too pedantic at times

Personally like it and doesn’t bother me. Think some people just get a little too pedantic at times
Pedantic? Isn't this thread precisely about expressing one's opinion on the covered start button? If you're bothered by others' diverse opinions and comments, you have an easy means to avoid reading them.

Pedantic? Isn't this thread precisely about expressing one's opinion on the covered start button? If you're bothered by others' diverse opinions and comments, you have an easy means to avoid reading them.
It’s a starter button….. hardly worth getting pissy about it or needing a thread. What next, I don’t like how volume button turns or feels in my hand 😂

The funny thing is plenty of people who have been in the car liked it but maybe wouldn’t if they used it and felt the quality.
To be honest I actually can’t remember how I’m pressing it, through the gap or lifting it as it’s just an auto function. Probably lifting just enough to get to it but it’s obviously not a problem or it would bug me.
There’s only two types of problems in like, the ones you can fix and the ones you can’t which should be ignored and this definitely fits the latter for me. 😃

It’s a starter button….. hardly worth getting pissy about it or needing a thread. What next, I don’t like how volume button turns or feels in my hand 😂
I actually like the volume knob and the mode switch, ha! Next question.

I actually like the volume knob and the mode switch, ha! Next question.
I like it as well, was just using an example… could be the way indicator goes up and down. I have no issues with any of it, more referring to some things aren’t worth getting worked up about. Bigger issues going on with peoples car that a red ignition flip

Idea is good, execution was terrible. Why does it only open like 45 degrees? With is it spring loaded/not stay up? You could even have soft close more gradual. It should have also been made of metal, it's lightweight plastic cheap feeling.

I love everything about the car, but that cover is a blunder

Idea is good, execution was terrible. Why does it only open like 45 degrees? With is it spring loaded/not stay up? You could even have soft close more gradual. It should have also been made of metal, it's lightweight plastic cheap feeling.

I love everything about the car, but that cover is a blunder
Agreed, the gated starter button is controversial, and in my opinion, should have been placed on the left side of the dash panel (LHD cars) like the 911 without the gimmicky gate.
To be honest though, as far as I'm concerned, something that's even more of an inconvenience than the gated starter button, is the lack of Passive Keyless Entry. This feature, automatically opens/locks the car upon proximity of the fob or by touching designated sections i.e. no need take the key fob out of your pocket nor to press press buttons. A few years back it was a feature offered only on higher end luxury vehicles, but nowadays it comes standard , or offered as an option on many makes and models at all trim levels. Why did Lotus ignore that feature when developing the $100k+ Emira, is beyond me. This may seem like nitpicking to some, but I find it very annoying to have to press the key fob every time I enter and exit the Emira. To make maters worse, since all my other household cars have PKE, I forget all the time that the Emira doesn't , so I keep standing there by the door waiting for it to automatically unlock and then, when reality dawns on me, I go franticly scrambling for the fob in my pocket at the very last minute.
Other than these two issues, all else is either great or good enough for me regarding the Emira so far.

I don't mind it. I rest my palm on it all the time after shifting. If it wasn't there, I would be turning off the car all the time by accident. Also The red goes well with my tan interior.