Do we know the Emira's MPG fuel economy yet?

Off The Shelf

Reaction score
After watching Harry Metcalfe's latest Youtube video of him driving his Porsche 930 Turbo S to Spain, and getting around 11mpg out of the gas guzzling beast (with its flat 6 3.5L engine) what are our hopes for the Emira?

I did a 110 mile highway drive on the way back home on Sunday in my 3.5L manual. Averaged 28.9mpg on the highway. The 125 miles prior to that were driven very… um… enthusiastically. During those faster paced miles, the average was down at 18.2mpg.
I definitely have the worst gas mileage of the group

I am starting to think I don’t know how to drive a manual 🤔

I definitely have the worst gas mileage of the group

I am starting to think I don’t know how to drive a manual 🤔
If you are just cruising down the highway it should just be in the highest functional gear.

Everything after that isn't so simple and is about reasonable response times, power, and avoiding lugging where you can. (not being in too high a gear)

I was toodling around today, experimenting with the different modes; tour, sport, track and the car's gauge said I was getting 24.9mpg. This is with the car being 70 lbs lighter (with my custom wheels being 24 lbs of that), Eventuri intake, titanium muffler, and Archoil 9100 (which is a friction modifier) in the engine and trans. Adding lightness and reducing drivetrain loss does make a difference.

If you are just cruising down the highway it should just be in the highest functional gear.

Everything after that isn't so simple and is about reasonable response times, power, and avoiding lugging where you can. (not being in too high a gear)
That is my problem

I like the sound of the lower gear in sport or track mode so I deserve a lower mpg, but I will try your way for a little bit to see a 20 mpg 🤣 once

When I picked the car up I did 3.5 hrs motorway driving and got 40 ish mpg! I have to say its doing better than my previous Cayman 3.4s.

Not to be disparaging to our US/Canadian friends but perhaps manuals are not your thing 😂😂😂 Here in the UK 99% of people learn in manuals and drive them, autos are slowly gaining ground but are still overshadowed by manuals. There is also the cost of fuel here, £8.36/$10.93 a gallon, that makes you keep an eye on the rpm.

As for driving, we are burdened with speed cameras everywhere so you are limited to country roads to enjoy the car, though traffic lights to 40 are still fun.

My experience is as long as you are running the engine in closed-loop it is quite efficient, but when you go for it it really starts to consume…

I had a comparison between an Audi TT RS And a BMW Z4 M40i, both automated transmissions. They both had after a spirited mountain drive around 11,5-12 L/100km and I had 13,5 L/100km, only the Alfa Romeo Giulia QV consumed even more with 17,5 L/100km.

But isn't a US gallon smaller than a UK one so we are going to get more miles out of a gallon here in the UK!

Anyone else been sat on the M1 recently? Miles and miles at 50 mph limit. Stick it on cruise and 31 mpg can be achieved. According to the car so likely to be less in reality!

An old thread but an update on what I'm consistently achieving, this is short (up to 10 miles) driving with me allegedly going way faster than I should be. I do a 5 mile out of the way journey via some great, fast, country roads to get to the supermarket 1 mile away.
The built in MPG counter is widely inaccurate IMO.

Here's my compiled data on miles driven vs gallons filled up at the tank:

Screenshot 2024-10-09 at 11.29.21 AM.png

I forgot to take note of my odometer for the July 26 entry so I just added the two gallons consumed entries for July 26 and Aug 3 together.

Whenever I'm at the gas station I do the following:

1. I always do a full tank
2. I Take a photo of how many gallons of fuel I loaded up (this will be my gallons consumed since I last refueled)
3. I take a look at the odometer reading from the last time I did a full tank refuel and subtract my current odometer reading (this is my miles driven since I last refueled)
4. I calculate my true MPG by dividing miles driven by gallons fueled up
5. I snap a photo of the odometer before I leave the gas station (this will be used for my next refuel)

IMG_4904.jpeg
IMG_4902.jpeg
IMG_4966.jpeg
IMG_4967.jpeg
IMG_6380.jpeg
IMG_6381.jpeg

The beauty of Tour mode
I did use sport a bit, it sounded better. The car was loaned to me by Lotus it only had 300miles so I treated it respectfully(they said I could use sport mode when I collected). Having never owned a sports car before I kinda understood it would be fast so was more interested in how economical it was, I was pleasantly surprised

I did use sport a bit, it sounded better. The car was loaned to me by Lotus it only had 300miles so I treated it respectfully(they said I could use sport mode when I collected). Having never owned a sports car before I kinda understood it would be fast so was more interested in how economical it was, I was pleasantly surprised

You will also be surprised its not that quick though 🥲
It moves, just not crazy.

The built in MPG counter is widely inaccurate IMO.

Here's my compiled data on miles driven vs gallons filled up at the tank:

View attachment 53138

I forgot to take note of my odometer for the July 26 entry so I just added the two gallons consumed entries for July 26 and Aug 3 together.

Whenever I'm at the gas station I do the following:

1. I always do a full tank
2. I Take a photo of how many gallons of fuel I loaded up (this will be my gallons consumed since I last refueled)
3. I take a look at the odometer reading from the last time I did a full tank refuel and subtract my current odometer reading (this is my miles driven since I last refueled)
4. I calculate my true MPG by dividing miles driven by gallons fueled up
5. I snap a photo of the odometer before I leave the gas station (this will be used for my next refuel)

Same here. If I do a partial fill for some reason, I add that fuel and cost to my next fuel stop so it still works out.

I also don't look at the onboard, but forgot to mention that. I'm in US gallons...your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241009-161357.png
    Screenshot_20241009-161357.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 2

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back