• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira in Los Angeles!

Don't forget that this car is a prototype.
The seats aren't the correct ones as mentioned here before.
The wheels aren't the right ones.
The infotainment is pre alpha.
Etc etc
I'd reserve judgement until the production cars get in the hands of the reviewers
I do understand they have to roll with whatever they've got at this stage, but I didn't put a deposit down on the basis that they'd have a big reveal of a "prototype" but an actual car that I could
Is the demo car I4 or V6?
V6

I do understand they have to roll with whatever they've got at this stage, but I didn't put a deposit down on the basis that they'd have a big reveal of a "prototype" but an actual car that I could

V6
At least the V6 version demo car has a real engine. The I4 version demo car in China has no engine at all. Viewers are not allowed to go into the car or open the trunk lid.

At least the V6 version demo car has a real engine. The I4 version demo car in China has no engine at all. Viewers are not allowed to go into the car or open the trunk lid.

And it’s exactly this kind of crap that makes me feel like I’m dealing with some kit car company rather than a top tier auto manufacturer. I mean, really who in the fk would sign off on a plan like that?

Addendum: Someone else reported that they ran the battery down at a viewing and so nobody could sit and move the seats or see the display. This is basic event planning and logistics - I would expect a introductory college business school class to anticipate and perform better than that.

Last edited:
And it’s exactly this kind of crap that makes me feel like I’m dealing with some kit car company rather than a top tier auto manufacturer. I mean, really who in the fk would sign off on a plan like that?
@TomE what’s the name for these again? They’re not “demo” cars.

A demo car is typically after this phase right?

There are various different types of pre-production prototype. The grey car touring the US is a dynamic prototype, so has nearly final versions of engine, drivetrain and items affecting ride and handling. Some aspects of interior and equipment are incomplete or not production. Lotus folks at the roadshows have been clear these are not production cars and are happy to explain to people what aspects are not production spec.

Lotus had to make a judgement between taking a pre-production car on tour early to help build an order book, or wait for production cars to be ready and then not be able to fulfil demand due to the supply chain issues affecting the whole industry. So they took a risk and it involves some compromises.

For anyone not comfortable with this approach it's fine to wait until you can read reviews and see a production demo car in Q1 next year. That involves compromises too, as it'll mean waiting longer for delivery.

Roadshow car currently in the US is a Shadow Grey V6 manual pre-production dynamic prototype. It has Base Edition wheels and a black leather interior. This car sits at production ride height.

The Seneca Blue car currently touring Europe (and previously touring the UK) is an i4-style show car. This has the i4 engine cover and shifter/paddles but no engine. It’s got the First Edition diamond cut wheels and alcantara interior. This car has lower than production ride height. The second Seneca Blue car recently shown in China is almost identical.

Both cars have non-production seats but the differences can be explained by the roadshow folks.

Is the demo car I4 or V6?

The shadow grey "demo" that's currently traveling the US is a V6 manual base spec. Cast wheels, black leather interior, no black pack, etc.

The seneca blue show cars traveling through Europe and Asia are battery powered examples of First Editions with the forged diamond cut wheels, black pack, Alcantara interiors, etc.

*Edit - Tom beat me by a minute. 🙃

Honestly, it is pretty disheartening to see a report like this from our folks in LA. It’s the largest market in America, the LA Auto Show is ongoing, and there’s a reveal of the last ICE for the brand. And yet, the role out the car is just atrocious per report. Lotus has had PLENTY of time and opportunity to correct these problems. And yet, they don’t. Why is that?do they just not care? Is there an arrogance on display? Do the just feel like they can take their buyers for granted? With deliveries to the US market being continually pushed back, devaluing your customer seems unwise. People who can afford a $100K car can also afford to park $5K+ and not have it affect them at all. But will they have the patience to wait around for more than a year when they have other options and feel like the company doesn’t care about them? I think we need to stop making excuses for the Lotus marketing and customer experience team. It seems like they don’t actually have either. Their job is the same if they have 100 customers or 100K. The indifference is inexplicable to me.

Honestly, it is pretty disheartening to see a report like this from our folks in LA. It’s the largest market in America, the LA Auto Show is ongoing, and there’s a reveal of the last ICE for the brand. And yet, the role out the car is just atrocious per report. Lotus has had PLENTY of time and opportunity to correct these problems. And yet, they don’t. Why is that?do they just not care? Is there an arrogance on display? Do the just feel like they can take their buyers for granted? With deliveries to the US market being continually pushed back, devaluing your customer seems unwise. People who can afford a $100K car can also afford to park $5K+ and not have it affect them at all. But will they have the patience to wait around for more than a year when they have other options and feel like the company doesn’t care about them? I think we need to stop making excuses for the Lotus marketing and customer experience team. It seems like they don’t actually have either. Their job is the same if they have 100 customers or 100K. The indifference is inexplicable to me.

Yep... by the time the Emiras actually start delivering, used car prices might drop back down to where they were pre-pandemic. That means 981 GT4s can be had for ~$15k less than an Emira FE.. and newer 718 Caymans for less.. and they're able to be spec'd with a dozen different colors and dozens of different customization options. It also means Evora GT prices will drop too. A lot of potential Emira buyers will flip. Some have already flipped for the C8 and those of us on the fence are just hoping and praying that the production verison of the Emira will blow our socks off. But it's not looking great. There have been numerous instances where Lotus has made me loose enthusiasm for this car and I'm just expecting it to get worse. Hopeffully I'm wrong.

My heart tells me to get the Emira, but my brain says Cayman all day!

As soon as this episode is up for viewing on The Smoking Tire, we'll probably get more information and a better insight into what's going on in, and with Lotus at the moment. If you don't recognize who's in the photo, in addition to the host on the left, that's Gavan, Russell and Matt next to him.

TheSmokingTire copy.png

Where are these "atrocious" reports you speak of?
Did you read post #8 in this thread? Or countless other underwhelming rollout reports on this forum? Short of a few positive comments about the contributions of a few individuals, the marketing and customer experience messaging has been almost unbelievably amateurish. Does it please me to say this? Absolutely not. But is it true? IMHO, yes. Lotus had better do much better, or after the hype wears off they will be in trouble in at least the American market.

Did you read post #8 in this thread? Or countless other underwhelming rollout reports on this forum? Short of a few positive comments about the contributions of a few individuals, the marketing and customer experience messaging has been almost unbelievably amateurish. Does it please me to say this? Absolutely not. But is it true? IMHO, yes. Lotus had better do much better, or after the hype wears off they will be in trouble in at least the American market.
I have, yes. Post number 8 described it as a "mixed bag," meaning both positives and negatives. I guess we just have different definitions of the word 'atrocious.'

I think it's important to keep in mind what these prototype cars are: prototypes. We should remember that their purpose is to give us a general idea of what we can expect of the final product. Without them, we wouldn't have any idea what the Emira would look like in the flesh. Things like height, size, interior design would be largely left to the imagination without them.

You may not like this approach, and I'd say fair enough if that's the case. But it certainly has it's upsides as well. Countless people have been able to see a rough mock-up of the production version of it, no doubt drumming up interest and deposits. Could some people be turned off by the fact that certain aspects of these cars are not in their most polished form? Sure. But I think most people can see these production models for what they are, and get enough information from them to decide if they want to make a deposit. If not, they can wait until the first reviews start coming out, which is what they would have had to anyway if these production models didn't exist. No love lost.

I have, yes. Post number 8 described it as a "mixed bag," meaning both positives and negatives. I guess we just have different definitions of the word 'atrocious.'

I think it's important to keep in mind what these prototype cars are: prototypes. We should remember that their purpose is to give us a general idea of what we can expect of the final product. Without them, we wouldn't have any idea what the Emira would look like in the flesh. Things like height, size, interior design would be largely left to the imagination without them.

You may not like this approach, and I'd say fair enough if that's the case. But it certainly has it's upsides as well. Countless people have been able to see a rough mock-up of the production version of it, no doubt drumming up interest and deposits. Could some people be turned off by the fact that certain aspects of these cars are not in their most polished form? Sure. But I think most people can see these production models for what they are, and get enough information from them to decide if they want to make a deposit. If not, they can wait until the first reviews start coming out, which is what they would have had to anyway if these production models didn't exist. No love lost.
I respect your opinion. I just am not feeling so generous. It’s been more than 4 months since the roll out and we still lack an actual car to see in the flesh. When we see the prototype it is done in such a poor way through dealers and fundamental info for decision making is missing or contradictory. And here’s a good one for you….I’m an early deposit holder and I won’t actually be able to see even the prototypes in the flesh because they are not coming to my dealer and showings at other dealers is by invitation only for those who placed their deposits at those dealerships. How exactly is it that I should feel satisfied with how I’m being treated as a customer? I think 4 months is long enough for lotus to have made some overture to buyers like me. I’m not alone. At some point we have to expec more or we will continue to have a substandard experience. I’m glad you feel good about your experience though. I wish I could feel that way too.