Emira Review Index [I4 FE]

Creating a new thread and index for Emira I4 FE reviews which are scheduled for release on 8th August.
Please let me know of any missing review links and I'll update the index accordingly.

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review
Road and TrackArticle
AUTOCARArticle
EVOArticle
Motor1Article
TopGearVideo and Article
Car and DriverArticle
Auto ExpressArticle
PistonHeadsArticle
The Smoking TireVideo Review
Auto DailyArticle

Last edited:
From Pistonheads:

I'm noticing a lot of reviews are making it sound like the I4 has had a £20k+ price hike. They mention the original starting price, then they mention the FE price (which has inflated) as if it's the new starting price, and then compare it to the starting price of the Cayman. Not terribly fair on the part of the reviewers. Here Pistonheads makes passing reference to a cheaper version but they are not comparing spec to spec with the rivals.

Sure, you can't buy the base right now. But you also can't buy this unless you're already on the list. Those joining the list based on videos like this will likely have the option of the base car.
I think the point that you can buy a Cayman GTS 4.0 w/ PDK for less or same price as an i4 Emira is the challenge. It's not like GTS cars are poverty spec Porsche's either. Even loading up a Cayman S - you will need 20K in options to be at the same price as an i4 Emira. - The original value proposition (Slightly below P-Car's Cayman) is no longer there, I think is the main point the journalists are trying to make. The Emira's price grew faster than the competition.

I tend to agree, the Emira i4 now firmly competes with any rear wheel - DCT sports car; this includes a C8, where as the V6 manual IMO does not. i4 is over priced in F/E form for a 4cyl turbo. With American dealers e-mailing its client lists offering i4 F/E's is telling the same story.

Although in other countries where they are penalized for larger emissions (china) perhaps the i4 is the better bargain. I don't know how that plays out elsewhere.

Smoking Tire hits the redline and leads to lazy shifts each time from DCT, same issue as other reviewers. Hope they get a software update for that, but Matt said it was present in the Mercedes cars too.

The safe calculation for downshifts seems to be really conservative too.

Last edited:
Have read all the articles now and I’m honestly a little surprised people didn’t like it more. The majority of them come back to one sticking point — it’s too much money to spend for an i4 turbo.

Trying to ignore the cost — the only thing that would concern me is what Harry and one of the magazines mentioned, the timing between tach display, manual shift selection, and shift execution time leaves a bit to be desired.

I’m also a little bit surprised but understand the business agreement with Mercedes that Lotus isn’t currently allowed to further modify the engine or ecu.

This probably has warranty implications. I get the sense that AMG took Lotus' requirements and produced an engine/transmission combo according to those requirements. Lotus then doesn't really have a need to further modify it. Granted, those requirements had to fit within Mercedes' limitations. I'm confused about the mention of a separate non-AMG-supplied Bosch control box for the transmission.

Review from TheSmokingTire now up
I liked this one. Zack came across to me as the best reviewer; very honest, realistic and thorough. He wasn't trying to be showy or entertaining, just talking normally. I tried watching the Top Gear one; that guy was annoying to watch and listen to. Trying too hard to be Chris Harris, and it didn't work.

From Pistonheads:

I'm noticing a lot of reviews are making it sound like the I4 has had a £20k+ price hike. They mention the original starting price, then they mention the FE price (which has inflated) as if it's the new starting price, and then compare it to the starting price of the Cayman. Not terribly fair on the part of the reviewers. Here Pistonheads makes passing reference to a cheaper version but they are not comparing spec to spec with the rivals.

Sure, you can't buy the base right now. But you also can't buy this unless you're already on the list. Those joining the list based on videos like this will likely have the option of the base car.
Yeah, this is starting to piss me off as well. The FE is FULLY LOADED, not the base model which will be a lot nearer the magic figure that everyone bands around. Everyone keeps on making out that there is some sort of conspiracy going on; an underhand inflation of the pricing well beyond the original price target.

There is a 5% increase coming. I had three emails and eventually a phone call from Lotus to ensure my spec was tied in before the increase on 11th August. They didn't have to do that.

As for Cayman prices - add the same toys and see where you end up.

As an Alpine A110S driver I was hoping the i4 was going to be a little lighter! My deposit may be heading back to my bank account after a test drive.
I am seriously thinking it might be better to wait another 18 months and pick up a 'used' garage queen i4 for £20k off (with all the software updates already done and all the niggles and recall issues fixed.

Watched Harry's and smoking tyre and feel very lucky to have got my v6 at the original price.

I definitely bought the right car for me. I4 is pretty much the same weight, sounds nowhere near as good, appears the the gearbox (a potential big plus for the i4) is a disappointment. The steering not quite as good.
I4 counters with a lower center of gravity so marginally better handling but for road use I can't say as I've found my v6 lacking in handling. Both videos basically say it's a better daily which translates to me as less special feeling.

I'm sure to some degree it comes across as justifying my purchase, maybe there is some subconsciously but I just don't get what the i4 offers. There's no significant saving on weight or money, maybe if you want an auto for more daily duties but then if the dct is a disappointment then does it offer anything over the v6 auto?

I liked this one. Zack came across to me as the best reviewer; very honest, realistic and thorough. He wasn't trying to be showy or entertaining, just talking normally. I tried watching the Top Gear one; that guy was annoying to watch and listen to. Trying too hard to be Chris Harris, and it didn't work.
Yes, but I do not think Zack’s explanation of the difference between the steering system in the V6 vs I4 Emira versions is correct. Both versions of the EMIRA have hydraulic steering. However the older Toyota V6 have a direct output from the engine for powering the hydraulic steering, while the newer design AMG I4 engine do not have that facility. For this reason the power source for the hydraulic steering system is electric. I am not an engineer, so it would be nice of others with the technical knowledge come to my rescue.

Quote from Road & Track:
<<The four also utilizes a new electrohydraulic power steering system, rather than the traditional pump-driven hydraulic steering for the six.>>

I believe there is an electric powered pump in the I4 that is feeding the I4’s hydraulic steering.

As far as I can hear, of those reviewers I have heard commenting on the EMIRA i4 steering, it is only Zack who says it is overly different (lighter). Harry & son seems to think the two versions, V6 and I4, are roughly equal, and even Matt Farah does not raise the difference between steering in the 2 cars as a talking point. I have been curious if the two alternative ways of powering the steering makes a difference (positive or negative)? Despite of Zack’s comments, I do not think this is a closed case yet.

I do not necessarily think that one version in particular is worse or better. I simply want a second opinion.

Last edited:
From Road&Track:
........."For better or worse, Lotus has very limited control over the workings of the powertrain. The engine and transmission arrive at Hethel mated together and sealed from AMG, and Lotus is prohibited from making any hardware or significant software changes.".........

Watching the Smoking Tire review and noticed something strange ~16m30s. Matt attempts to slide but nearly spins it on the track before coming to a complete stop. He then reverses and then proceeds straight, but never touches the auto shifter. Am I missing something? 🧐

Watching the Smoking Tire review and noticed something strange ~16m30s. Matt attempts to slide but nearly spins it on the track before coming to a complete stop. He then reverses and then proceeds straight, but never touches the auto shifter. Am I missing something? 🧐
yes,he hasn‘t touch the auto shifter,just use the wide of track to go straight.

From Road&Track:
........."For better or worse, Lotus has very limited control over the workings of the powertrain. The engine and transmission arrive at Hethel mated together and sealed from AMG, and Lotus is prohibited from making any hardware or significant software changes.".........
Yea, whatever changes made, was done at AMG factory.

Quote from Road & Track:
<<The four also utilizes a new electrohydraulic power steering system, rather than the traditional pump-driven hydraulic steering for the six.>>

I don't believe that this is true. The steering column and hydraulic rack are stated in the EVO review as being identical to the V6 - it's just that an electric pump is added for fluid pressure as the M139 doesn't have it's own (unlike the V6).....

Also, I believe that the "only a 12Kg weight saving" that keeps getting quoted is simply the difference between the two rear subframes (steel Vs Aluminium). The EVO magazine (more comprehensive print version) i4 review quotes the V6 "as weighed by them" at 1486kg against the Lotus-claimed 1446kg for the i4 which seems more like it - that's 2 full airline-checked suitcases-worth of weight if correct.......

This probably has warranty implications. I get the sense that AMG took Lotus' requirements and produced an engine/transmission combo according to those requirements. Lotus then doesn't really have a need to further modify it. Granted, those requirements had to fit within Mercedes' limitations. I'm confused about the mention of a separate non-AMG-supplied Bosch control box for the transmission.
Yeah, I wondered about the Bosch control box as well... my completely unfounded guess is it might be a (de)tuning box that fiddles sensor signals in a similar way to aftermarket boxes do to "remap" vehicles where the ECU cannot be cracked.

From Road&Track:
That's pretty strange in logic,if couldn't change ecu(software),how to made difference of Chinese 400hp or oversea 360hp ? AMG does? If that's ture,does the AMG give the different shifting program?

Quote from Road & Track:

I don't believe that this is true. The steering column and hydraulic rack are stated in the EVO review as being identical to the V6 - it's just that an electric pump is added for fluid pressure as the M139 doesn't have it's own (unlike the V6).....

Also, I believe that the "only a 12Kg weight saving" that keeps getting quoted is simply the difference between the two rear subframes (steel Vs Aluminium). The EVO magazine (more comprehensive print version) i4 review quotes the V6 "as weighed by them" at 1486kg against the Lotus-claimed 1446kg for the i4 which seems more like it - that's 2 full airline-checked suitcases-worth of weight if correct.......
JimH

I am not sure if your write-up was in response to what I wrote above regarding the subject of difference between V6 and I4 hydraulic steering?

I should be very happy if you could take another look at what I wrote above?

At this point, the only way we can get to know any details about how the i4 behaves & responds is to watch reviews. The reviewers too are humans like you and me, and it may be necessary to second guess some statements snd conclusions.

At this time I am particularly unhappy about Zack’s (Smoking Tire) comments about the differences between the V6 vs I4 hydraulic steering. It simply does not feel right and believable.

Yeah, sign me up for a laggy old school turbo with a sluggish pdk….said nobody ever. It’s a bit pathetic when turbo lag becomes a feature rather than a con.

Release of the mediocre i4 is enough of a final straw to make me second guess whether I even want my FE v6 allocation. Maybe Lotus really has lost it’s way. Doesn’t bode well for the future. If I was an i4 customer I’d be down at Porsche specing my Cayman S, or better yet, pick up. 2018-19 GTS.

After signing up for the I4 almost exactly 2 years ago now, I found the reviews overall a bit disappointing. I guess not dissimilar to when the original V6 pre-production reviews came out. I thought it was a given that AMG engine and drivetrain would be excellent and most of the discussion was going to be about the sound. Ironically, the soundtrack actually seems to be one of the positives - certainly from the interior. I just find it strange that we have this ponderous DCT behaviour. My 2012 E90 M3 had lightning fast shifts and I was expecting an AMG engine to be more than a match. Maybe it can be improved with a later map but surely during all the many hours of testing someone at Lotus must have questioned this?

I was hoping to be sufficiently satisified with the reviews but now I'm thinking I'll need to test drive it to understand what it feels like in person. I have no idea whether that's going to be possible.

After signing up for the I4 almost exactly 2 years ago now, I found the reviews overall a bit disappointing. I guess not dissimilar to when the original V6 pre-production reviews came out. I thought it was a given that AMG engine and drivetrain would be excellent and most of the discussion was going to be about the sound. Ironically, the soundtrack actually seems to be one of the positives - certainly from the interior. I just find it strange that we have this ponderous DCT behaviour. My 2012 E90 M3 had lightning fast shifts and I was expecting an AMG engine to be more than a match. Maybe it can be improved with a later map but surely during all the many hours of testing someone at Lotus must have questioned this?

I was hoping to be sufficiently satisified with the reviews but now I'm thinking I'll need to test drive it to understand what it feels like in person. I have no idea whether that's going to be possible.
Don’t loose faith, Daddy. We are going to overcome this together with LOTUS CARS.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back