Emira Review Index [I4 FE]

Creating a new thread and index for Emira I4 FE reviews which are scheduled for release on 8th August.
Please let me know of any missing review links and I'll update the index accordingly.

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review
Road and TrackArticle
AUTOCARArticle
EVOArticle
Motor1Article
TopGearVideo and Article
Car and DriverArticle
Auto ExpressArticle
PistonHeadsArticle
The Smoking TireVideo Review
Auto DailyArticle

Last edited:
Watching the Smoking Tire review and noticed something strange ~16m30s. Matt attempts to slide but nearly spins it on the track before coming to a complete stop. He then reverses and then proceeds straight, but never touches the auto shifter. Am I missing something? 🧐

Maybe there is some slope to the track there?

After signing up for the I4 almost exactly 2 years ago now, I found the reviews overall a bit disappointing. I guess not dissimilar to when the original V6 pre-production reviews came out. I thought it was a given that AMG engine and drivetrain would be excellent and most of the discussion was going to be about the sound. Ironically, the soundtrack actually seems to be one of the positives - certainly from the interior. I just find it strange that we have this ponderous DCT behaviour. My 2012 E90 M3 had lightning fast shifts and I was expecting an AMG engine to be more than a match. Maybe it can be improved with a later map but surely during all the many hours of testing someone at Lotus must have questioned this?

I was hoping to be sufficiently satisified with the reviews but now I'm thinking I'll need to test drive it to understand what it feels like in person. I have no idea whether that's going to be possible.

I am feeling a little like this after watching more reviews. The Harry/Charlie review left me content but the shifting speed seems to be a bit of an issue. I have heard the A45s shifting like lightning but not sure if that was manual or the auto setting doing that.

My car is going into production in August although a call yesterday could not provide more detail. Right now I would love a test drive before checkout but not sure if I will get one. If I cancel I would try and get a V6 as I am an Emira believer.

Maybe there is some slope to the track there?

Still... It's an automatic. It can't just go into neutral to roll back like that without moving the gear selector. Not like he's pushing in a clutch.

Still... It's an automatic. It can't just go into neutral to roll back like that without moving the gear selector. Not like he's pushing in a clutch.

The answer is, he doesn't "reverse" it as you state. At best, the car might have rolled back slightly when his foot was transitioning from the brake pedal to the throttle pedal, which the car was engaging the gear. I only saw a slight jitter really at that point.

The car did seem to slide backwards when he was spinning, but that is unrelated.

I know absolutely nothing about DCT programming, but perhaps when it detects a spin/rear wheel lockup it shifts to neutral to protect the drivetrain.

Or maybe it's like when you stop a DCT. It engages the clutch until you give it throttle then it releases. So, when he spun to a stop the clutch engaged until he drove off again?

Last edited:
I can’t be the only one that thinks that AMG engine is magic. Those numbers are absolutely insane from something that size… it really is the pinnacle of petrol-powered engineering.

Still… the gear selector is rubbish. If I bought an i4 I’d have to cover it with a tea cosy.

And heat. In Australia at least, we get days on end of temperatures above 40 degrees. I’d be so nervous taking the car out for a burn, knowing I could seriously cook something. Out of interest, what does the car do if it overheats?

I can’t be the only one that thinks that AMG engine is magic. Those numbers are absolutely insane from something that size… it really is the pinnacle of petrol-powered engineering.

Still… the gear selector is rubbish. If I bought an i4 I’d have to cover it with a tea cosy.

And heat. In Australia at least, we get days on end of temperatures above 40 degrees. I’d be so nervous taking the car out for a burn, knowing I could seriously cook something. Out of interest, what does the car do if it overheats?
You are not the only one. It is indeed the pinnacle. We may never see another production ICE brought to this insane level of output through methodical engineering.

You are not the only one. It is indeed the pinnacle. We may never see another production ICE brought to this insane level of output through methodical engineering.
We absolutely have been and will -- other car manufacturers are making high boost smaller 3-4 cylinder engines and with hybrid output as well.

Mmmm now I’ve been a devoted i4 fan and promised first campaign slot man…

These reviews leave my underwhelmed. Of course it opinion but there seems to be a general consensus. Hadn’t thought of the price much until now as mentioned by the press. Just spec’d a cayman GTS 4.0 manual with a few choice options and (love it or hate it) Ruby star paint and it’s less than Emira. I’m going to think hard before Friday

Attachments

• IMG_2530.png
    IMG_2530.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2529.png
    IMG_2529.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 92
I’d say that’s a great, honest unbiased review and making me think I don’t know what to think as ordered early July 2021 and was looking forward to amazing reviews I have to say I’m having a wobble as the others reviews on here arn’t spectacular! Due for Feb build and ‘locked in’ and with the £6k price hike (although price held and not subject to the recent £3.5 hike) presume the £5k is refundable as no test drives yet?! What a dilemma…..Just needed everyone to say this is the one, it’s amazing, a must have, havnt heard that yet…..🙄

Yes, but I do not think Zack’s explanation of the difference between the steering system in the V6 vs I4 Emira versions is correct. Both versions of the EMIRA have hydraulic steering. However the older Toyota V6 have a direct output from the engine for powering the hydraulic steering, while the newer design AMG I4 engine do not have that facility. For this reason the power source for the hydraulic steering system is electric. I am not an engineer, so it would be nice of others with the technical knowledge come to my rescue.

Quote from Road & Track:
<<The four also utilizes a new electrohydraulic power steering system, rather than the traditional pump-driven hydraulic steering for the six.>>

I believe there is an electric powered pump in the I4 that is feeding the I4’s hydraulic steering.

As far as I can hear, of those reviewers I have heard commenting on the EMIRA i4 steering, it is only Zack who says it is overly different (lighter). Harry & son seems to think the two versions, V6 and I4, are roughly equal, and even Matt Farah does not raise the difference between steering in the 2 cars as a talking point. I have been curious if the two alternative ways of powering the steering makes a difference (positive or negative)? Despite of Zack’s comments, I do not think this is a closed case yet.

I do not necessarily think that one version in particular is worse or better. I simply want a second opinion.
I’m basing my comments on reviews and Lotus staff comments rather than official Lotus info.

I believe you’re correct and the V6 steering is hydraulic and the i4 electro-hydraulic. It’s been done this way due to the designs of the engines in their original uses.

Harry and son mention perceived minor differences in steering feel, even wondering if the tyre pressures are different on the two cars. They set them to be identical to eliminate that cause but still notice it.

The weight and CoG differences between the two shouldn’t be felt as steering differences, at least not in the way they describe.

What I do think they’ve missed, and mentioned in one or two other reviews, is the suspension setups appear to be slightly different. Touring on i4 seems to be slightly stiffer than Touring on V6, and same for Sports. This could explain the slight difference in steering feel in a back to back comparison.

Mmmm now I’ve been a devoted i4 fan and promised first campaign slot man…

These reviews leave my underwhelmed. Of course it opinion but there seems to be a general consensus. Hadn’t thought of the price much until now as mentioned by the press. Just spec’d a cayman GTS 4.0 manual with a few choice options and (love it or hate it) Ruby star paint and it’s less than Emira. I’m going to think hard before Friday

I have run that configurator many times but I can't get over the looks of the Cayman. Just not doing it for me and for the money I want the looks. Call me shallow but there it is.

I have run that configurator many times but I can't get over the looks of the Cayman. Just not doing it for me and for the money I want the looks. Call me shallow but there it is.
yeah get what your saying but can’t ignore the GTS 4.0 for price point and residuals…

I’m going to contact my OPC tomorrow and see what lead times are / equivalent monthly’s compared to i4 out of interest

I’d say that’s a great, honest unbiased review and making me think I don’t know what to think as ordered early July 2021 and was looking forward to amazing reviews I have to say I’m having a wobble as the others reviews on here arn’t spectacular! Due for Feb build and ‘locked in’ and with the £6k price hike (although price held and not subject to the recent £3.5 hike) presume the £5k is refundable as no test drives yet?! What a dilemma…..Just needed everyone to say this is the one, it’s amazing, a must have, havnt heard that yet…..🙄
Now that the news embargo has expired and i4 reviews debuted, how do you think Lotus will spin the media reactions?
It's a mixed big.
Can't recall the last customer bulletin I received.

More observations of turbo lag in the Emira I4. Inconsistent / delayed thrrotle response are big reasons to get the V6.

"Despite their proximity on paper, this second Emira variant possesses a very different personality. The AMG engine has huge muscle but feels less sophisticated than the supercharged V-6. At low rpm, there is noticeable turbo lag, and even at higher revs, it takes a couple of beats for boost to build in response to sudden accelerator inputs." - car and driver

Now that the news embargo has expired and i4 reviews debuted, how do you think Lotus will spin the media reactions?
It's a mixed big.
Can't recall the last customer bulletin I received.

They will just repeat the positive comments and lets not forget, there are plenty of them, it is hardly a shocker of a car.

What's with the side-to-side movement of the DCT gearlever for up and down shifts? Reminds me of late 90's and early 2000's Chrysler and Mercedes.

What's with the side-to-side movement of the DCT gearlever for up and down shifts? Reminds me of late 90's and early 2000's Chrysler and Mercedes.
my guess is — being different for the sake of being different?

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back