• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [I4 FE]

Creating a new thread and index for Emira I4 FE reviews which are scheduled for release on 8th August.
Please let me know of any missing review links and I'll update the index accordingly.

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review
Road and TrackArticle
AUTOCARArticle
EVOArticle
Motor1Article
TopGearVideo and Article
Car and DriverArticle
Auto ExpressArticle
PistonHeadsArticle
The Smoking TireVideo Review
Auto DailyArticle

Last edited:
The car looks like it was bogged down at the start. Not enough brake torquing?

Another video, looks to be in China. Anyone knows why the i4 sounds like something is loose when he revs it? It's around the 30sec mark?
He starts manually shifting the i4 at around 6mins. I don't detect any significant delays between his inputs and the up and down shift execution.

He starts manually shifting the i4 at around 6mins. I don't detect any significant delays between his inputs and the up and down shift execution.
I noticed exactly the opposite. The downshift at 6:07 takes some time to execute. He clicks the paddle and his hand moves away completely before the engine even responds. I'd say it was almost a second for the shift to complete.

I noticed exactly the opposite. The downshift at 6:07 takes some time to execute. He clicks the paddle and his hand moves away completely before the engine even responds. I'd say it was almost a second for the shift to complete.
I don't see any delay either. Correct me if I am wrong, but at 6:07 the transmission will not downshift until the vehicle speed reduces enough to handle the lower gear so it won't redline.

I don't see any delay either. Correct me if I am wrong, but at 6:07 the transmission will not downshift until the vehicle speed reduces enough to handle the lower gear so it won't redline.
Agreed. He tries too soon and it prevents the first downshift. A second or two later he tries again after losing some revs and it obliges. The revs appear to be quite close to the red line after the shift.

There's definitely a decent delay in some situations, and most of the reviewers have mentioned it.

Agreed. He tries too soon and it prevents the first downshift. A second or two later he tries again after losing some revs and it obliges. The revs appear to be quite close to the red line after the shift.

It's the second shift at about 6:11 I'm referring to. His first input was ignored, but the second shift happened quite slowly. Using YouTube Interval Timer (Yes, such a thing exists) here's what's evident from the video, using 00:000 (second:millisecond) as the starting point:

00:000 - left shift paddle press, right before his finger visibly starts to lift away
00:317 - Gear indicator changes from 3 to 2
00:550 - Engine starts to audibly increase in RPM
00:750 - Engine starts to visibly increase in RPM
01:050 - Engine RPM reaches maximum (clutch fully locked)

Now, it's possible that the ECU delayed the downshift in order to avoid hitting the redline, but there was still quite a bit of delay between the gear indicator changing and the engine starting to respond. There is another downshift at 6:40 that happens at lower engine speeds and is only slightly faster:

00:000 - paddle press
00:283 - Gear indicator changes from 4 to 3
00:533 - Engine starts to audibly increase in RPM
00:683 - Engine starts to visibly increase in RPM
00:983 - Engine RPM reaches maximum (clutch fully locked)

There is a 2-3 upshift at 6:30

00:083 - Gear indicator changes from 2 to 3
00:117 - Engine starts to audibly decrease in RPM
00:250 - Engine starts to visibly decrease in RPM
00:517 - Engine RPM reaches minimum (clutch fully locked)

So it seems that upshifts are faster, if I had to guess, I would say everything is done in about a third of a second. The computer is probably not taking as much time to assess the current RPM/Speed to gauge if the shift is safe to perform. Even if we take out the display update delay, which is probably in the 150ms range for engine info, the downshifts are still taking 800-900ms to complete.

It's the second shift at about 6:11 I'm referring to. His first input was ignored, but the second shift happened quite slowly. Using YouTube Interval Timer (Yes, such a thing exists) here's what's evident from the video, using 00:000 (second:millisecond) as the starting point:

00:000 - left shift paddle press, right before his finger visibly starts to lift away
00:317 - Gear indicator changes from 3 to 2
00:550 - Engine starts to audibly increase in RPM
00:750 - Engine starts to visibly increase in RPM
01:050 - Engine RPM reaches maximum (clutch fully locked)

Now, it's possible that the ECU delayed the downshift in order to avoid hitting the redline, but there was still quite a bit of delay between the gear indicator changing and the engine starting to respond. There is another downshift at 6:40 that happens at lower engine speeds and is only slightly faster:

00:283 - Gear indicator changes from 4 to 3
00:533 - Engine starts to audibly increase in RPM
00:683 - Engine starts to visibly increase in RPM
00:983 - Engine RPM reaches maximum (clutch fully locked)

There is a 2-3 upshift at 6:30

00:083 - Gear indicator changes from 2 to 3
00:117 - Engine starts to audibly decrease in RPM
00:250 - Engine starts to visibly decrease in RPM
00:517 - Engine RPM reaches minimum (clutch fully locked)

So it seems that upshifts are faster, if I had to guess, I would say everything is done in about a third of a second. The computer is probably not taking as much time to assess the current RPM/Speed to gauge if the shift is safe to perform. Even if we take out the display update delay, which is probably in the 150ms range for engine info, the downshifts are still taking 800-900ms to complete.
You've gone hardcore forensic I see :ROFLMAO:

Those numbers don't scream instant response for sure! I guess it's only by driving it ourselves that we can find out how bad it feels. The other concern from the recent review is the "dim-witted" behavior in auto. Does it hold the right gear to stay on boost in sport and does it shift down under breaking so it's ready to go after?

For comparison, A45S POV, some manual upshifts shortly after 1:46. To me there is a perceptible delay between hearing the click of the paddle and hearing the engine note change (and is similar to my wife's A35). Definitely doesn't seem instant, so perhaps expecting instant in the Emira is unrealistic in the first place... Could be interesting to repeat your timings on @Nova.

short video for my test driving

Attachments

• sd1694156107_2.mp4
    526.6 KB
For comparison, A45S POV, some manual upshifts shortly after 1:46. To me there is a perceptible delay between hearing the click of the paddle and hearing the engine note change (and is similar to my wife's A35). Definitely doesn't seem instant, so perhaps expecting instant in the Emira is unrealistic in the first place... Could be interesting to repeat your timings on @Nova.
Is your wife's car turned? I can only hope that the Emira I4 shifts as fast as your Merc. I didn't see/hear the Chinese I4 shift anywhere close to your car.

I see it is titles 366hp i4, so the China market 400hp
i4 may be a myth
The youtube vedio is not original uploader,the original vedio shows the 405ps in the first of vedio.
IMG_7417.png

Is your wife's car turned? I can only hope that the Emira I4 shifts as fast as your Merc. I didn't see/hear the Chinese I4 shift anywhere close to your car.
My wife's car is just a stock A35.
To me, the manual upshifts in both videos seem similar, though I do find it easier to judge the delay in the A45S video due to the audible click of the paddle which the Emira doesn't have.

LOL, I'll try.

There is an upshift at 6:30, I can't see the transmission gear but I'm guessing it's the 2-3 shift.

00:000 Paddle press, the upshift indicator goes away almost immediately.
00:200 Engine audibly begins to reduce in RPM
00:333 Engine begins to visibly reduce in RPM
00:500 Engine stops decreasing in RPM

Downshift at 2:52

00:000 Paddle press, can't see any immediate indication of anything
00:450 Engine audibly begins to increase in RPM
00:567 Engine begins to visibly increase in RPM
00:767 Engine stops increasing in RPM

Not quite as bad as the Emira, but downshifts certainly are taking longer than upshifts.