• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:
I’m sorry but this, if true, is a lazy cop-out. In essence they dialled out the “right” set-up for the target audience? Who is this target audience? So much for the drivers.
Asian consumer Market and your global posers 🙃

No surprises if we take notice of all other reviewers..... Its not a track weapon and wasnt designed to be, nore is the sports suspension version, it wont compete with the Cayman no matter how hard people on here want dream that it will, it simply wont. Those people should await the 99% for sure will come souppppped up version, which is a VERY easy thing for Lotus to do and I estimate its virtually done, its simply a case of deciding when best to release it.
If the V6 continues to get negative press for track driving, I feel the souppped up car will be released next year to quell those who say.... what have Lotus done? And then you will have a car that will potentially give some competition to the GTS/GT4... simple.
I'm kind of happy everyone says its a great road car.... most sensible none delusional buyers will not be tracking it more than 1 or 3 times a year and I am sure it will be fun, but not as much fun as any of the cars it "replaced". Different demographic looked for and found.
This guy seemed fair and none insulting in his review and I feel he is spot on with everything. A bit underpowered, a crappy gear box for a "new car" in 2022! Should not be flat lining at 6500 for a sports car, but for a road car, great looking and about the right power to not kill yourself and handling adequate for 97% of its market.
The forum over complicates this car and wants it to be something to all, but it cant be.... wait for your 440 HP, firmer suspension... dont set yourself up for disappointment .....
Couldn’t agree more

Here are some TL;DR notes

Pros:
  • Strong brakes
  • Very beautiful (if it didn't have a Lotus badge it could pass as a modern Ferrari Dino)
  • Good car for the price and feature set
  • Enjoyable on the road (but not so much on the track)
Cons:
  • Frustrating gear box (ratio/efficiencity of shifts/slow shifting)
  • Soft frontend (believe he was on Sport suspension w/ Goodyear Eagle F1 tires)
  • Rear is planted but to a fault (difficult to get rotation with the soft frontend)
  • Lacks the performance he was expecting (disappointing lap time compared to its peers)

To expand on the gearbox, he also says 2nd is too long.

It's hard not to see that the fly in the ointment seems to be the Goodyear Eagle F1's. I'm wondering how much better the tour suspension is going to be with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on it. That's such a good tire, it may be the magic combo on the street for both the tour and sport chassis.
…I thought Gavin tested tons of tire compounds to select these. A bit disappointing to read this.

…I thought Gavin tested tons of tire compounds to select these. A bit disappointing to read this.
Likely just setup, some understeer dialed in to aid the less experienced driver. In fact I believe this was confirmed by Gavan. How many people avoided early 911s for their reputation as window makers? With it's wider appeal this is not something Lotus will want a reputation for, though tbh. I would have thought the excellent TC would take care of that mostly.

My comment about the Goodyears was with regards to the lap time chart that was posted. The tire that Gavan had Goodyear make was for a street tire, not a track tire. I have no doubt he ran all kinds of brands on the car when in development, but for some reason he chose Goodyear. When I first saw Cup 2 for track and then Goodyear for the street, I wondered why he didn't just stick with Michelin since they make excellent street tires. I use them on my cars regardless of what the OEM tire was. Who knows what kind of deal or politics were involved with Gav choosing Goodyear. Does Geely have a deal with Goodyear elsewhere?

At any rate, it would be interesting to take a tour chassis Emira, and do a track test comparing the Eagle F1 to the 4S just to see what the track results would be. The Goodyears are probably fine for the street. I'll know when I drive mine for the first time what kind of feel they give back. Whenever I've switched from any OEM tire to Michelin, the first thing I notice is the improved steering response and feel. Sure you can make some suspension adjustments, but the average customer on the street has no clue what they are, what to ask for or why. Most simply change tires.

If the Goodyears were engineered for the average driver (not me), and under-perform for me the way I'm reading in some of the reviews, I'll switch to Michelin. The 5s will probably be out by then. The Michelin's aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. Steering response is more important to me than absolute cornering force grip, since I'm not going to be driving at or near the limits on the street.

ma
My comment about the Goodyears was with regards to the lap time chart that was posted. The tire that Gavan had Goodyear make was for a street tire, not a track tire. I have no doubt he ran all kinds of brands on the car when in development, but for some reason he chose Goodyear. When I first saw Cup 2 for track and then Goodyear for the street, I wondered why he didn't just stick with Michelin since they make excellent street tires. I use them on my cars regardless of what the OEM tire was. Who knows what kind of deal or politics were involved with Gav choosing Goodyear. Does Geely have a deal with Goodyear elsewhere?

At any rate, it would be interesting to take a tour chassis Emira, and do a track test comparing the Eagle F1 to the 4S just to see what the track results would be. The Goodyears are probably fine for the street. I'll know when I drive mine for the first time what kind of feel they give back. Whenever I've switched from any OEM tire to Michelin, the first thing I notice is the improved steering response and feel. Sure you can make some suspension adjustments, but the average customer on the street has no clue what they are, what to ask for or why. Most simply change tires.

If the Goodyears were engineered for the average driver (not me), and under-perform for me the way I'm reading in some of the reviews, I'll switch to Michelin. The 5s will probably be out by then. The Michelin's aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. Steering response is more important to me than absolute cornering force grip, since I'm not going to be driving at or near the limits on the street.
maybe he knew this year would turn out to be, as it is, a Bad Year and he just figured he would balance it out with a...........

couldn't resist

Can we all just acknowledge that Lotus is known for their sublime handling abilities and most of us turn a blind eye to the lack of power increase with the Emira because "well it's a Lotus and not about 0-60 and all about handling and driving experience." Yet here we are with the Emira's handling getting criticized by nearly every professional driver/journalist. :(

Can we all just acknowledge that Lotus is known for their sublime handling abilities and most of us turn a blind eye to the lack of power increase with the Emira because "well it's a Lotus and not about 0-60 and all about handling and driving experience." Yet here we are with the Emira's handling getting criticized by nearly every professional driver/journalist. :(

The more I wait, the more I’m realizing it’s just not really great at anything except for looking like a smaller Ferrari.

It’s decent or good at a lot of things, but so are a lot of far cheaper cars.

For the understeer, I think Lotus may have still been too heavy handed and could've leaned more neutral while still being safe. First off, the Emira rear tires are SUPER wide. The Emira has 245/35/20 and 295/30/20 front and rear, and the Cayman GTS 4.0 in comparison has 235/35/20 and 265/35/20. The Cayman is well known to be very neutral and not hard to control, so Lotus may not have needed to be so rear biased with the tires in designing understeer. And even if those were tuned more towards oversteer, the Emira has an LSD and its traction system it worked on with Bosch and hyped up to be able to control oversteer and stay safe.

The more I wait, the more I’m realizing it’s just not really great at anything except for looking like a smaller Ferrari.

Yeah, you're kinda right. Lotus is a quirky brand for quirky people. The Emira will be a fun car for sure and ticks all the boxes for me, but it's not the logical purchase. It would just be nice if it was the best at something.

Not to bring up the new Vette again, but I'm currently watching the latest Throttle House review and they're both so excited about it. Everything is so awesome and outstanding and there are basically no complaints... Meanwhile the Emira reviews are all pretty mellow. 😔

... except that Lotus also worked with Michelin for the Sport setup. If there was any financially-motivated "deal" to be had, surely it would be struck with Michelin to supply both setups. I see a lot of Cup 2 on that leaderboard, which is just in a whole other league of tyre.

EDIT: I guess it just seems weird to me to pin this underperformance directly on the Goodyear tyres (which are known to be very good), when there are so many other aspects that are known to contribute to a "poor" lap time.
This is very true. Maybe the Goodyear really is just meant for the street and provided better ride vs other brands. Either way - I have only seen two track times for Emira... Both with good year's... Strange. I'm sure more sport/cup 2's are on the way to get some better answers.

Since you have made your conclusion, why are you spending more of your valuable time on this forum? Why not search for a better alternative (informed by those expert reviewers) and avoid contributing to the negativity in here?

I'm conflicted on this and suffer from an exaggerated philosophical bent as midnight approaches.

Some experiences are special yet the components are not, that specialness builds with acquaintance which takes time, it's not immediately apparent, it's below the surface. This has little to do with perfection, often more to do with imperfection. We all experience this in some way or another, cars or otherwise.

Is the Emira going to be special? I have no idea and frankly I doubt a test drive will make a difference. Those sudden encounters rarely reveal the soul of a thing how it'll grow on you and the connection that can be had with it.

I can't read it - Lotus has always made great driving experiences, so do they secretly know something that can only be known with time? or have they designed the Emira by committee to maximise it's success rather than brilliance? Has the underdog lost it's way now it has a break at the big times, backed by that juicy $100m? Just questions here, I don't have any answers.

So many of those highly sought after great cars of the past were not considered so great in their day. And so many considered great in their day and viewed differently now....is the Emira one of these, or just a pretty face?

All I know is cars driven by fire and fuel from the bowels of the earth made up of millions of dead creatures from a pre-historic age, that roar when you summon them to respond to your alert mind through the subtlety your moving hands and feet, those aren't going to be around so long. So my order's still in, but my confidence is out and I'm ok with that.

As other forum members have said, if you can think of a better, brand new car available today that's more exciting than the Emira, then you should go buy that car! Personally, I only see a handful of possible contenders:
  • Corvette C8 Z06
  • Porsche 911
  • Porsche Cayman
Those 3 cars are all about the same price as the Emira, so if one of them seems like a better fit for you, then go buy it, and don't look back.

I know that a lot of forum members were disappointed that the Emira didn't turn out to be what they thought it would be. I admit, hearing review after review saying that the Emira isn't quite as good as the car it replaces is disappointing (however, for my money, the Emira looks 10x better than the Evora). I don't know how this happened, or what Lotus can do about that, if anything. But ultimately, we all still have to make a decision: buy the Emira, or buy something else?

I'm still excited for my Emira, but I'm also excited about the new Z06, and I have a deposit down for one of those too. Those two cars are different beasts, and I think both have their own unique value proposition. But the cars are what they are, and no amount of "It would've been nice if Lotus had..." is going to change that, at this point.

1665268126713.png

prices.jpg

1665268282770.png

As other forum members have said, if you can think of a better, brand new car available today that's more exciting than the Emira, then you should go buy that car! Personally, I only see a handful of possible contenders:
  • Corvette C8 Z06
  • Porsche 911
  • Porsche Cayman
Those 3 cars are all about the same price as the Emira, so if one of them seems like a better fit for you, then go buy it, and don't look back.

I know that a lot of forum members were disappointed that the Emira didn't turn out to be what they thought it would be. I admit, hearing review after review saying that the Emira isn't quite as good as the car it replaces is disappointing (however, for my money, the Emira looks 10x better than the Evora). I don't know how this happened, or what Lotus can do about that, if anything. But ultimately, we all still have to make a decision: buy the Emira, or buy something else?

I'm still excited for my Emira, but I'm also excited about the new Z06, and I have a deposit down for one of those too. Those two cars are different beasts, and I think both have their own unique value proposition. But the cars are what they are, and no amount of "It would've been nice if Lotus had..." is going to change that, at this point.

View attachment 9577
View attachment 9579
View attachment 9578

Honestly it’s seeming less and less exciting than my m4, considerably slower in every aspect, less practical, and far less aftermarket support.

Are some looks really worth about $105K USD? The Emira is nearly the same dimensions and likely slower than the MKV Supra.

Anyways, feeling a bit bummed out and don’t want to turn this thread into a VS. thread. I’ll wait for a test drive.

Honestly it’s seeming less and less exciting than my m4, considerably slower in every aspect, less practical, and far less aftermarket support.

Are some looks really worth about $105K USD? The Emira is nearly the same dimensions and likely slower than the MKV Supra.

Anyways, feeling a bit bummed out and don’t want to turn this thread into a VS. thread. I’ll wait for a test drive.
How are these two cars remotely comparable? I've an F80 and can't possibly find anything in common with the Emira. Sure, the new one is probably Uber fast. It's still heavy and engagement is just not there.

I'm conflicted on this and suffer from an exaggerated philosophical bent as midnight approaches.

Some experiences are special yet the components are not, that specialness builds with acquaintance which takes time, it's not immediately apparent, it's below the surface. This has little to do with perfection, often more to do with imperfection. We all experience this in some way or another, cars or otherwise.

Is the Emira going to be special? I have no idea and frankly I doubt a test drive will make a difference. Those sudden encounters rarely reveal the soul of a thing how it'll grow on you and the connection that can be had with it.

I can't read it - Lotus has always made great driving experiences, so do they secretly know something that can only be known with time? or have they designed the Emira by committee to maximise it's success rather than brilliance? Has the underdog lost it's way now it has a break at the big times, backed by that juicy $100m? Just questions here, I don't have any answers.

So many of those highly sought after great cars of the past were not considered so great in their day. And so many considered great in their day and viewed differently now....is the Emira one of these, or just a pretty face?

All I know is cars driven by fire and fuel from the bowels of the earth made up of millions of dead creatures from a pre-historic age, that roar when you summon them to respond to your alert mind through the subtlety your moving hands and feet, those aren't going to be around so long. So my order's still in, but my confidence is out and I'm ok with that.
  • Corvette C8 Z06
  • Porsche 911
  • Porsche Cayman
I agree with @frazzer , I am hoping the Emira has the soul that is missing from the cars that @eriegz has mentioned as the most comparable to the Emira. I have owned a C8, 718 Spyder and 911 992. All are different. The C8 best bang for $, 911 most well rounded, almost too perfect, that can be daily driven with a classic styling. However it has lost it's soul and has become an outstanding GT. The 718 4.0's IMO is the best of the bunch, more sports car than GT. Certainly has the soul that Frazier was mentioning IMO.

My complaints and gripes with Lotus is mostly down to Comm's and my difference of opinion on marketing/CS, I digress.

I am keeping my Emira deposit until the car get's delivered and will drive it to find if it has that soul that is missing from so many of today's modern machines. I agree with the comment that many times the most celebrated cars aren't always the best of the generation. Emira certainly looks amazing and I think the old school mechanical feels that the journalists are pointing out may end up being it's most sought after attributes years from now. Flawed to a point of brilliance. The last Porsche I felt that in was a manual 911 997.2 generation. At the time it was not as highly regarded, but now sought after. It's not about the tech or track times to me personally. (although I still would like respectable track times...718 GTS comparably please ... lol) The feel we are looking for will be different for everyone, you just have to go with what works for you. I know what hasn't worked for me.

It has all the ingredients of being a special piece of automotive art. Reminds me a bit of the Alfa Romeo 8C... Clarkson did a great top gear episode on it, reminds me very much of how I feel about the Emira at the moment.

Back