• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:
There seems to be a continuing mis-representation of what the Emira is. A lot of you seem to think it was designed to be an £80k car and are disappointed it's not faster than the outgoing Evora 410 which actually was an £80k car. You're thinking the FE is the car the Emira was designed to be because of its price, but it's not. The Emira was designed and positioned to be a £60k car which is why it's not faster than the £80k car it's replacing. The FE is just the £60k car with all the options bundled as a launch spec edition.

If Lotus had wanted to make the Emira the fastest street car they've ever produced, they could have, but the price would have been at least £80k+. They'd already done that with the Evora, and it wasn't exactly tearing up the sales charts. They needed to do something different, and they did. They designed a gorgeous sports car, gave it adequate performance, upgraded the interior and lowered the price by £20k so it would appeal to a wider audience. The order book tells the story. It was the right move business-wise. Hard-core enthusiast-wise? Not so much. That's why some of you are looking at a Z06 or something else with more power. You're not going to pay £60k for a Z06 though, but if power and acceleration are your main thing, and there's no doubt that is exciting, the Emira is not going to scratch that itch.

In my opinion, what some of you should do is either change your order to a base model, or go ahead and buy the FE, drive it a bit, then sell it (unless you decide you want to keep it after all). For the price difference of an FE versus a base model, you could buy the mods to get the performance you want, and then you'd have it all; looks and performance. It's there, it's possible, it's just going to take you spending the money Lotus didn't want to spend, so they could meet their price target.

There seems to be a continuing mis-representation of what the Emira is. A lot of you seem to think it was designed to be an £80k car and are disappointed it's not faster than the outgoing Evora 410 which actually was an £80k car. You're thinking the FE is the car the Emira was designed to be because of its price, but it's not. The Emira was designed and positioned to be a £60k car which is why it's not faster than the £80k car it's replacing. The FE is just the £60k car with all the options bundled as a launch spec edition.

If Lotus had wanted to make the Emira the fastest street car they've ever produced, they could have, but the price would have been at least £80k+. They'd already done that with the Evora, and it wasn't exactly tearing up the sales charts. They needed to do something different, and they did. They designed a gorgeous sports car, gave it adequate performance, upgraded the interior and lowered the price by £20k so it would appeal to a wider audience. The order book tells the story. It was the right move business-wise. Hard-core enthusiast-wise? Not so much. That's why some of you are looking at a Z06 or something else with more power. You're not going to pay £60k for a Z06 though, but if power and acceleration are your main thing, and there's no doubt that is exciting, the Emira is not going to scratch that itch.

In my opinion, what some of you should do is either change your order to a base model, or go ahead and buy the FE, drive it a bit, then sell it (unless you decide you want to keep it after all). For the price difference of an FE versus a base model, you could buy the mods to get the performance you want, and then you'd have it all; looks and performance. It's there, it's possible, it's just going to take you spending the money Lotus didn't want to spend, so they could meet their price target.
Ok i will bite
But....
In line with every other auto maker you would also expect it to outperform the outgoing car (Evora). We all know its a continuation of that model in architecture and drive train. Plus in my eyes Lotus almost implied it by not making an Evora Final Edition.
Yes the Emira is a 'cheaper' car from a literal perspective. But Lotus hand building the Evora compared to mass producing the Emira is a completely different proposition.
I'm still at a loss to why Lotus would dull the performance of the Emira in both engine and chassis. Its not money as its almost all purely set up. Yes they could have developed a costly variable suspension set up which would have helped in todays market I think, but this could have been carried over to the new EV models.
Finally its positioned at the price it is solely to compete with the Porsche 718 and no other reason (even their marketing echos this) So again why restrict overall performance and not give it a chance to compete with the one car that it is pitched at as a rival 🤷
And yes I know this car was a 'rush job' , an interim measure, a look at me I'm new Lotus. But again why not make it as good as it can be.... At present it's just an incredibly good looking average sports car. That doesn't get you very far in the marketplace and is not great for residuals. The test is going to be when Lotus tweak their finance APR again and 6.9 goes north of 12%

Last edited:
Lotus have still smashed their very specific brief.
They will still be a financial success despite the cash flow delay.

They have also definitely put more eyes onto the brand and their EV products.

Tick.

Now, Emira vs Z06.
The Emira is one the best looking cars ever made and will be fondly remembered.

However...

For me, a car has to have 4 key aspects nailed to be a supercar.

• Looks
  • Engine
  • Noise
  • Drama
  • Speed

No, not even handling actually. It either has it by design or it doesn't matter one iota. Eg Countach

So.. Emira scores on Looks ONLY.
THEREFORE it is of course just a sports car and then ticks all the boxes.

The Z06 scores on everything BUT looks. Nails drama though and for some that gives it supercar status.

Would I have the Z06 oner the Emia?
Yes, of course!! It beats it 4 to 1.

The problem in THE UK is the current dollar strength which means given import, taxes, exchange rate and rarity it might well be at least the current equivalent of $150k.

So... the Emira still wins... for me, right now.

Plus I have an engine at least on par with the Chevvy in my Ferrari so I might have bought it the same price even , say, if it 2 dollars to the pound. But that's just old luck me.

I'm currently taking a course in philosophy at Edinburgh University which makes you question absolutely everything you ever thought you knew, so I like your philosophical take on all this :)
If a car fails on the track and no one is there to editorialize it, did it really happen?

Lotus have still smashed their very specific brief.
They will still be a financial success despite the cash flow delay.

They have also definitely put more eyes onto the brand and their EV products.

Tick.

Now, Emira vs Z06.
The Emira is one the best looking cars ever made and will be fondly remembered.

However...

For me, a car has to have 4 key aspects nailed to be a supercar.

• Looks
  • Engine
  • Noise
  • Drama
  • Speed

No, not even handling actually. It either has it by design or it doesn't matter one iota. Eg Countach

So.. Emira scores on Looks ONLY.
THEREFORE it is of course just a sports car and then ticks all the boxes.

The Z06 scores on everything BUT looks. Nails drama though and for some that gives it supercar status.

Would I have the Z06 oner the Emia?
Yes, of course!! It beats it 4 to 1.

The problem in THE UK is the current dollar strength which means given import, taxes, exchange rate and rarity it might well be at least the current equivalent of $150k.

So... the Emira still wins... for me, right now.

Plus I have an engine at least on par with the Chevvy in my Ferrari so I might have bought it the same price even , say, if it 2 dollars to the pound. But that's just old luck me.
Ooh, I'll add....IF the Emira was 500hp I would have paid £100+ £ for it

I agree with @frazzer , I am hoping the Emira has the soul that is missing from the cars that @eriegz has mentioned as the most comparable to the Emira. I have owned a C8, 718 Spyder and 911 992. All are different. The C8 best bang for $, 911 most well rounded, almost too perfect, that can be daily driven with a classic styling. However it has lost it's soul and has become an outstanding GT. The 718 4.0's IMO is the best of the bunch, more sports car than GT. Certainly has the soul that Frazier was mentioning IMO.

My complaints and gripes with Lotus is mostly down to Comm's and my difference of opinion on marketing/CS, I digress.

I am keeping my Emira deposit until the car get's delivered and will drive it to find if it has that soul that is missing from so many of today's modern machines. I agree with the comment that many times the most celebrated cars aren't always the best of the generation. Emira certainly looks amazing and I think the old school mechanical feels that the journalists are pointing out may end up being it's most sought after attributes years from now. Flawed to a point of brilliance. The last Porsche I felt that in was a manual 911 997.2 generation. At the time it was not as highly regarded, but now sought after. It's not about the tech or track times to me personally. (although I still would like respectable track times...718 GTS comparably please ... lol) The feel we are looking for will be different for everyone, you just have to go with what works for you. I know what hasn't worked for me.

It has all the ingredients of being a special piece of automotive art. Reminds me a bit of the Alfa Romeo 8C... Clarkson did a great top gear episode on it, reminds me very much of how I feel about the Emira at the moment.
Yes, but our J clarkson didnt buy an 8C (I dont think), as pretty as it was, and it was! He bought, amongst other things of course, the ugly, raw, but incredible Ford, which he couldn't even fit in.... then got the next edition, which he could.
So looks are great and important too, I value them very highly myself, but they wont lead to you keeping a car, as you know..... they will only lead you to sleeping with it, I mean purchasing a night, I mean buying it...
However, for me, as good as the Vette is, and I am sure the investment in the car is WAYYYYY more than Lotus have spent on any car, ever, it looks awful for my money and I could not be seen in it, car snob. Red line over 8000, fantastic, in almost every way better than the Emira, but I couldn't approach the car without thinking.... "I hope no one sees me"

The 992 looks great for my money, but you need the gt3 to be exciting, a touring of course, as spoliers look awful and do just what they are supposed to, spoil things.
Its a shame it will be a good year or so before 90% of the forum members will actually be able to say they have the car and then say its a keeper, or an "almost famous", also ran. Everyone loves the way it looks, but that wont and isn't enough. You will I am sure love the steering, the breaking is fine too, it feels fast enough...... but for the ultimate drivers, many on here, it wont float your boat, I am sure of it.
IF I had the money and it was NO objective, as to some on here, the GT3 touring would be the way to go, there is NO competition, but there shouldn't be either, as a GT3 in the UK or EU will run to 200k, apples and iphones comparisons.

I'm currently taking a course in philosophy at Edinburgh University which makes you question absolutely everything you ever thought you knew, so I like your philosophical take on all this :)
This Emira experience raises a number of epistemological issues :LOL:

If a car fails on the track and no one is there to editorialize it, did it really happen?
that's one for the physicists - I'd say it never happened. Jethro is an AI generated avatar :D

Ok i will bite
But....
In line with every other auto maker you would also expect it to outperform the outgoing car (Evora). We all know its a continuation of that model in architecture and drive train. Plus in my eyes Lotus almost implied it by not making an Evora Final Edition.
Yes the Emira is a 'cheaper' car from a literal perspective. But Lotus hand building the Evora compared to mass producing the Emira is a completely different proposition.
I'm still at a loss to why Lotus would dull the performance of the Emira in both engine and chassis. Its not money as its almost all purely set up. Yes they could have developed a costly variable suspension set up which would have helped in todays market I think, but this could have been carried over to the new EV models.
Finally its positioned at the price it is solely to compete with the Porsche 718 and no other reason (even their marketing echos this) So again why restrict overall performance and not give it a chance to compete with the one car that it is pitched at as a rival 🤷
And yes I know this car was a 'rush job' , an interim measure, a look at me I'm new Lotus. But again why not make it as good as it can be.... At present it's just an incredibly good looking average sports car. That doesn't get you very far in the marketplace and is not great for residuals. The test is going to be when Lotus tweak their finance APR again and 6.9 goes north of 12%

So, as has been pointed out, this is a £60k car with £60k car performance.

It does not compete with other cars, it competes to get the cash out of your pocket.

So the Emira GT will be an £80k car with £80k car performance
The Emira GTS will be a £96k car with £96k car performance
The Emira GTS Ghia Chapman edition will be a £110k car covered in bling.

Trust me as I cannot tell lies or mislead. You heard it here first.

Ooh, I'll add....IF the Emira was 500hp I would have paid £100+ £ for it
I said the same to the Lotus team at the reveal.
If they had given it a bespoke 500bhp engine made with Cosworth or similar it would have been a 110k car all day every day.

It does not compete with other cars, it competes to get the cash out of your pocket.

So the Emira GT will be an £80k car with £80k car performance
The Emira GTS will be a £96k car with £96k car performance
The Emira GTS Ghia Chapman edition will be a £110k car covered in bling.

Trust me as I cannot tell lies or mislead. You heard it here first.
Lol @Ghia Chapman

But it does it competes with the Cayman and the Cayman is already out in its top guise for FE money which you are arguing is still base in planned future hierarchy.
How many Evora GTS are going to be sold at 90k and GT4s at 100k with the same engine but with a tune (or a borrowed 4cyl chipped up) 🤷

I clearly want a balance, if I wanted a track only car I’d have kept my S2000.

Also what’s the point of owning a sports car you can’t track a bunch of weekends a year? To sit in traffic in it? Park it at work?
Have you tried a Nissan GTR? They are very fast on the track and off.

Have you tried a Nissan GTR? They are very fast on the track and off.
very different driving experience to a Lotus or Cayman, powerful and heavy, fast in the straights, but doesn''t carry much speed in the corners.

Last edited:
I clearly want a balance, if I wanted a track only car I’d have kept my S2000.

Also what’s the point of owning a sports car you can’t track a bunch of weekends a year? To sit in traffic in it? Park it at work?
country roads....... not everyone wants a sports car for tracking....id say the % is not as high as we may think.

very different driving experience to a Lotus or Cayman, powerful and heavy, fast in the straights, but doesn''t carry much speed in the corners.
Have you tracked a GTR? I have and would say you are totally incorrect about corner speed. NISMO GTR is #14 at Nurburgring. Regular GTR is #30. They are so easy to drive fast they become boring.

I so want i4 to be the fastest Emira….. and I’m sure it will be after wee tune.

Reactions: ADC
Yes, but our J clarkson didnt buy an 8C (I dont think), as pretty as it was, and it was! He bought, amongst other things of course, the ugly, raw, but incredible Ford, which he couldn't even fit in.... then got the next edition, which he could.
So looks are great and important too, I value them very highly myself, but they wont lead to you keeping a car, as you know..... they will only lead you to sleeping with it, I mean purchasing a night, I mean buying it...
However, for me, as good as the Vette is, and I am sure the investment in the car is WAYYYYY more than Lotus have spent on any car, ever, it looks awful for my money and I could not be seen in it, car snob. Red line over 8000, fantastic, in almost every way better than the Emira, but I couldn't approach the car without thinking.... "I hope no one sees me"

The 992 looks great for my money, but you need the gt3 to be exciting, a touring of course, as spoliers look awful and do just what they are supposed to, spoil things.
Its a shame it will be a good year or so before 90% of the forum members will actually be able to say they have the car and then say its a keeper, or an "almost famous", also ran. Everyone loves the way it looks, but that wont and isn't enough. You will I am sure love the steering, the breaking is fine too, it feels fast enough...... but for the ultimate drivers, many on here, it wont float your boat, I am sure of it.
IF I had the money and it was NO objective, as to some on here, the GT3 touring would be the way to go, there is NO competition, but there shouldn't be either, as a GT3 in the UK or EU will run to 200k, apples and iphones comparisons.
The GT3 touring is IMO a pinnacle for a drivers car. Here in Canada, it is almost 3X the price of the Emira. I can not compare it, but yes it's better. Emira is a sports car, the GT3 touring is a track car made for the road. GT3RS is just a race car made road legal, not my cup of tea.

Clarkson didn't buy a lot of cars that I would gladly own... he didn't even really like Porsche's lol. But the comparison to what the Alfa 8C was back then is similar to what the Emira is today. I am ok with that. For the same price, only the Cayman competes and right now I still lean Emira > Cayman. It's a new old car. Nobody else is making one that looks anywhere near this good.

Sport Suspension / Cup 2's and a 430 BHP tune for 1,300 pounds. Probably the same price for @emiraspain monthly "rental" allowance by the hour over in Catalunya. :ROFLMAO:

If the Emira was DCT i4 only, I wouldn't be here even if it gets to 500 BHP and is quicker than a GT4. Not what I was looking for. Even though that will be the fastest version no doubt.

Back