• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:
Have you tracked a GTR? I have and would say you are totally incorrect about corner speed. NISMO GTR is #14 at Nurburgring. Regular GTR is #30. They are so easy to drive fast they become boring.
In truth I haven't tracked one, but have been in the passenger seat of one full beans around a track. It had 800bhp so was probably more of a point and shoot machine than stock which no doubt is better balanced all round.

TOTALLY agree with this. But I think the issue Lotus have is that you can get this same experience in cars costing far far less than £80k.
I get that same experience in my Corrado VR6 and you could choose all manner of vehicles (a lot considerably rarer than the Emira) for under £20k
Used vs New... opens a whole new convo. You can get a lot of cool cars for 80K. But new it's really down to the Cayman GTS. You can also spec a Cayman GTS to more than the Emira F/E price.

Back to the used, I would have already purchased something in the pre-owned market had I found what I was looking for. I am very picky and would only purchase cars in VERY good condition. I will have to live with the Emira for a couple months before I can decide to move on and do more soul searching or not. Let's all be honest we are not getting married to the Emira, and to be fair even if I did, I don't think I would be very faithful haha.

The GT3 touring is IMO a pinnacle for a drivers car. Here in Canada, it is almost 3X the price of the Emira. I can not compare it, but yes it's better. Emira is a sports car, the GT3 touring is a track car made for the road. GT3RS is just a race car made road legal, not my cup of tea.

Clarkson didn't buy a lot of cars that I would gladly own... he didn't even really like Porsche's lol. But the comparison to what the Alfa 8C was back then is similar to what the Emira is today. I am ok with that. For the same price, only the Cayman competes and right now I still lean Emira > Cayman. It's a new old car. Nobody else is making one that looks anywhere near this good.

Sport Suspension / Cup 2's and a 430 BHP tune for 1,300 pounds. Probably the same price for @emiraspain monthly "rental" allowance by the hour over in Catalunya. :ROFLMAO:

If the Emira was DCT i4 only, I wouldn't be here even if it gets to 500 BHP and is quicker than a GT4. Not what I was looking for. Even though that will be the fastest version no doubt.
I bet my rent is by far the cheapest of any one renting on this forum..... but I bet not many are renting on this forum ;).
One day I will do the Touring..... but still, like all these new damn sports cars, its wide as a BUS...
Caterham is still favourite, wide as a rat on a diet

Used vs New... opens a whole new convo. You can get a lot of cool cars for 80K. But new it's really down to the Cayman GTS. You can also spec a Cayman GTS to more than the Emira F/E price.

Back to the used, I would have already purchased something in the pre-owned market had I found what I was looking for. I am very picky and would only purchase cars in VERY good condition. I will have to live with the Emira for a couple months before I can decide to move on and do more soul searching or not. Let's all be honest we are not getting married to the Emira, and to be fair even if I did, I don't think I would be very faithful haha.
Used vs New means manufacturers should be forecasting depreciation rates and used market values to price their new cars. I don't see any logic in that to be frank.

The whole "I can buy a great used car for 60k" logic is overplayed. You're essentially telling all Tesla new car buyers they are idiots who could have bought an amazing car for the 60k+ price they are paying.

In other words, new car prices should behave very differently if that argument was valid

There’s a trade-off and compromise for pretty much every consumer good so that doesn’t really say much.

Before reviews it was new Lotus: £100m investment, brand new state of the art factory with quality control and tolerances, a ‘brand new’ car? Now that’s changed to expecting the latest and greatest is not Lotus…?

What you need to remember is one of the key ideas behind the Emira was to attract new customers to Lotus. To turn around and call these same new customers “non-Lotus” is a bit disingenuous…
You think £100m in capex is enough to make Lotus = Porsche? I mean...have you looked at the Porsche IPO? Lotus is minor leagues relatively speaking.

£100m is a drop in the ocean that simply was needed to make sure Lotus cars don't fall apart like the Elise did and ingress and egress are not limited to flexible 20y old people. That in itself opens the market to new customers , but still to those that are not expecting magic. A brand new car that is a Cayman GTS killer would require a lot more money than that.

If you want that perfect balance of modern performance, modern engine, comfortable interior, looks, track and road...be ready to double your budget.

You think £100m in capex is enough to make Lotus = Porsche? I mean...have you looked at the Porsche IPO? Lotus is minor leagues relatively speaking.

£100m is a drop in the ocean that simply was needed to make sure Lotus cars don't fall apart like the Elise did and ingress and egress are not limited to flexible 20y old people. That in itself opens the market to new customers , but still to those that are not expecting magic. A brand new car that is a Cayman GTS killer would require a lot more money than that.

If you want that perfect balance of modern performance, modern engine, comfortable interior, looks, track and road...be ready to double your budget.
double... more like 4 5 times and in fact 10 times..and dont forget the investment was in the factory, not in the car, two different things in "some" ways.
We can only hope the electric sports car is a closer competitor as both companies start from a blank sheet..... and we can only hope it isnt sheet

Used vs New means manufacturers should be forecasting depreciation rates and used market values to price their new cars. I don't see any logic in that to be frank.

The whole "I can buy a great used car for 60k" logic is overplayed. You're essentially telling all Tesla new car buyers they are idiots who could have bought an amazing car for the 60k+ price they are paying.

In other words, new car prices should behave very differently if that argument was valid
I agree, we should only compare new vs new... However the lack of manual mid-engine sports cars that are new forces us to look into the pre-owned world. Or up what you are willing to spend on a toy.

Nice to see some new footage, but hardly a review. More of an overview.
This seems familiar to me - is it edited together 'b-roll' from a while back
I've got a new strapline for the car
Lotus Emira - the unobtainable sports car

Haha how many times are we gunna listen to the car pass by? As much as I like to see new Emira videos this one was a snoozer!
True. All it did was reinforce the idea that it desperately needs a cat delete or something. So dang quiet.

Back