• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:
"You need to really concentrate to execute a clean shift from third to second gear, and engaging reverse can be a challenge. "

Just don't understand that comment, I test drove the car at B&C, can't say I was concentrating on the gear shifts, none of which I missed - I don't jump in and out of a lot of manuals either. As for using the powerband, that's what driving a NA or supercharged car feels like and I quite like that.

Those supercar looks and FE price tag are distorting expectations

"You need to really concentrate to execute a clean shift from third to second gear, and engaging reverse can be a challenge. "

Just don't understand that comment, I test drove the car at B&C, can't say I was concentrating on the gear shifts, none of which I missed - I don't jump in and out of a lot of manuals either. As for using the powerband, that's what driving a NA or supercharged car feels like and I quite like that.

Those supercar looks and FE price tag are distorting expectations

Agreed. I last drove a manual 8 years ago and jumped in to the Emira yesterday with no major issues. I tried rushing a 2-3 upchange and miss judged it, once; but no more.

It’s a lovely easy access beautiful sports car

I love the drivetrain in the Emira. One of the main attractions for me was the notchy mechanical shift and the older engine. New engines are a bit too refined in general for me and constrained by so much emissions stuff, having an older one is a bonus! The shift in my car between gears is great, can go up and down easy but I have to admit once warmed up reverse is quite a challenge to get in and normally takes a few attempts!

Makes me laugh seeing reviews where nearly the only negatives are positives for me!

I dunno about that, the engine debate (Porsche 4.0 vs Toyota V6) which is really only between these two options at the moment, how can you not give minus points? The Porsche engine is superior from an over all aspect. When I test drove it, I liked the shift feel/ratio's and the low end power band felt better to me on the Emira. But on a track or going full out (which these are sports cars) the 4.0 is the better engine. No question.

Porsche(VW GTI?) 2.0 turbo 4 pot vs AMG i4 Turbo - That is a different story. AMG is going to be the better engine IMO.
I don't disagree with the potential superiority of the Porsche. I just don't agree with the "me too" approach of reviewers. The "tired engine" comment is ridiculous and completely subjective. My e46 M3 engine is very tired by those standards and honestly, it's way more fun than my F80. Clearly one is modern, faster etc. But it's a subjective assessment influenced by too much internet reading. With all due respect to the YouTubers , 90pct are really no one in the automotive world.

I find it interesting that all the journalists have slated the gear change, yet the overwhelming comments on here and on FB are that the gear change is great, and adds character to the driving experience.... Some are out due to seats and other small bits but rarely is it the drivetrain...

I find it interesting that all the journalists have slated the gear change, yet the overwhelming comments on here and on FB are that the gear change is great, and adds character to the driving experience.... Some are out due to seats and other small bits but rarely is it the drivetrain...

Reminds me of sometimes you have a mismatch between a movie's rotten tomatoes ratings vs viewer ratings. The academy sometimes has different priorities than people who watch movies for enjoyment rather than seeking a path for awakening one's own soul.

Lotus Emira V6 – rijtest en video​

Lotus-Emira-V6-11-816x612.jpg

Lotus Emira V6 – rijtest en video​

Lotus-Emira-V6-11-816x612.jpg

Translated the conclusion:

Conclusion Lotus Emira driving test

The Emira looks sensational, especially in yellow. The V6 is not always convincing, despite nice details such as a supercharger bypass valve that you can see at work in the rearview mirror. With a price range that varies between one and one and a half tons, there is more on the market to choose from. In terms of prices, the Porsche 718 Cayman seems to be an important opponent, which is just a bit more mature.

A car that also captures the (old) character of Lotus nicely is the Alpine A110. The Frenchman has the light-footed character, but lacks the power of the Emira. Before I end the driving test somewhat negatively: the Emira is at least light years better than the Evora. Lotus has done a good job on their latest combustion engine car, although the AMG two-litre version is perhaps the very best choice. Once you have left the disadvantages of the V6 behind you, you can have a lot of fun with it. Exactly the purpose of a sports car.

Gavin Green piece

Attachments

• 0D708551-401D-4D81-A1DD-0C494554B6F5.jpeg
    0D708551-401D-4D81-A1DD-0C494554B6F5.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 124
  • D5229F18-7CDB-4FAD-8867-C2989517E34B.jpeg
    D5229F18-7CDB-4FAD-8867-C2989517E34B.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 101
Autovisie Netherlands Supertest: Emira disappoints

Received the final edition of Autovisie Netherlands in the mailbox today - with the yearly Supertest at Assen racetrack. This year the Emira was part of it. Including Sports suspension and Cup2's on a dry track, so had high hopes.

It flunked the test...not a good car! Tries to please too wide of an audience, definitely not the best product produced in Hethel. Most of the feedback in suspension and brakes filtered out, heavy, poor seats, not so fast. Doesn't drive well.

Basically everything I experienced and wrote after my own test run.
I am still planning to take delivery of mine, but will throw out seats, replace the suspension, loose some weight...make it much sharper. Turn it into an 'old' lotus with great exterior.

On the list so far of planned mods:
- Recaro podium seats
- Nitron suspension setup
- Bar + 6 point harnesses
- Find alternative for the steering wheel, a thinner round one.
- Loose weight (forged/carbon wheels, loose seats, add some carbon here and there)
- Open up the exposed shifter system in the cabin.
- Maybe add power.

tempImage77RTJe.jpg

tempImageBpHNZ3.jpg

Even the most negative reviews doesn't indicate that most of the suspension and steering is filtered out. Strange criticism.

Autovisie Netherlands Supertest: Emira disappoints

Received the final edition of Autovisie Netherlands in the mailbox today - with the yearly Supertest at Assen racetrack. This year the Emira was part of it. Including Sports suspension and Cup2's on a dry track, so had high hopes.

It flunked the test...not a good car! Tries to please too wide of an audience, definitely not the best product produced in Hethel. Most of the feedback in suspension and brakes filtered out, heavy, poor seats, not so fast. Doesn't drive well.

Basically everything I experienced and wrote after my own test run.
I am still planning to take delivery of mine, but will throw out seats, replace the suspension, loose some weight...make it much sharper. Turn it into an 'old' lotus with great exterior.

On the list so far of planned mods:
- Recaro podium seats
- Nitron suspension setup
- Bar + 6 point harnesses
- Find alternative for the steering wheel, a thinner round one.
- Loose weight (forged/carbon wheels, loose seats, add some carbon here and there)
- Open up the exposed shifter system in the cabin.
- Maybe add power.

View attachment 20493

View attachment 20494
Looks like it was faster than a 718 gt4 but I can't really read the language.

Yes but slightly slower than an Evora 400
Well there is a couple surprises there. Matching a 718 GT4 time, although slower than Evora.... hmmmmm. Very interesting. First real track test with sport / cup 2's I've seen.

I think the Emira GT/Cup/Final V6 edition is going to be a real winner.

Even the most negative reviews doesn't indicate that most of the suspension and steering is filtered out. Strange criticism.
Those who come out of the 'old' Lotus cars will know exactly what this means when they drive Emira.

Few journalist have pointed to the same...its not as sharp, alive, turn-in is slow...less as what they would have expected.

I test drove one, and you can read my review - too much feedback/responsiveness/feel is lost in the setup - but this was touring suspension. Autovisie test is actually sports!

Last edited:
Looks like it was faster than a 718 gt4 but I can't really read the language.
It was a whole 8 seconds a lap slower that 718 GT4 RS (1:51.9) . I run 1:56 with my Caterham 485 on street tires at the same track. Emira ran 2:00,0. Audi RS3 1:57.

Those who come out of the 'old' Lotus cars will know exactly what this means when they drive Emira.

Few journalist have pointed to the same...its not as sharp, alive, turn-in is slow...less as what they would have expected.

I test drove one, and you can read my review - too much feedback/responsiveness/feel is lost in the setup - but this was touring suspension. Autovisie test is actually sports!
I get that it's not as sharp and is more isolating, but "most" of it has been filtered out? As in, the Emira is more than half as numb?

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back