• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:
Good video, especially the driving part. I don't know if it was the microphone of the camera being extra sensitive, but the engine/exhaust sounds were really good. Plenty loud. Car looks very smooth on the road, even through the twists and turns.

Another Dutch test of the Emira......................(Google translation)

This is how the last Lotus runs with a combustion engine

1669041375764.png

The Lotus Emira V6 First Edition looks like a sports car weighing several tons, but costs less than a ton – at least in Germany and Belgium. Yet the Dutch BPM pain of 50,000 euros (Dutch environmental charge) amply mitigated by the ravishing driving comfort and the wonderful performance. The rear-wheel drive Emira is the first all-new Lotus in more than a decade. It is therefore not surprising that journalists and Lotus fans expect a lot from this model. We attract enough attention in the bright yellow Emira we drove. Not only because of the signal color, but also because of the association with similar-looking Ferraris. This is mainly due to the large air vents on the side, but also due to the mid-engine concept and the well-designed front and rear. Well, especially the rear actually, because the front is a bit too generic in our opinion. Nevertheless, the design language of the future Evija has been nicely implemented here.
Lots of practicality
Inside, Lotus aficionados over six feet tall will breathe a sigh of relief. Finally a car in which they can sit properly without the gear lever poking their knees or they develop a hunchback due to the low roofline. It's just a pity that the headrests are too low and not adjustable. But apart from the difficult exit due to the wide sill and the short distance to the road surface, you don't have to make many sacrifices when it comes to practicality. Or it must be the wide rear window pillars that severely restrict the view to the rear right, but almost all mid-engine cars suffer from this.
Handling is top notch
In normal use, the most striking thing about the Lotus is how comfortable it is. Bumps and bumps are generously swallowed up and eliminated and the spacious workspace makes you feel a bit like in a McLaren. The practicality is great, the engine is fast and efficient and takes you where you send it - whether that's to the circuit around the corner or the Côte d'Azur. You would almost find it a bit too comfortable until you turn the wheel. Because then the Emira reacts like a proverbial kart when changing direction and you immediately know that you are in a Lotus. We did expect a little more feedback from the front wheels. You are less well informed about the surface than with competitors such as the Alpine A110 and 718 Cayman.
290 km/h
The brakes are top notch and the gear changes feel familiar: a short lever with at least as short strokes, as we know from cars such as the Lotus Elise and Mazda MX-5. The Toyota-derived 400 hp V6 delivers great performance on paper: acceleration from 0-100 km/h in 4.3 seconds and a top speed of 290 km/h are not figures to be ashamed of, but still the block doesn't really feel bright. The high torque expected by the compressor at low speeds is also a bit disappointing, but it may also be that we have been driving electric cars a bit often lately.
Lamborghini
The engine sounds a bit loud and that's nice when you go for a ride, but it can get boring on the longer distances. Not surprising, because the 3.5 liter measuring block is breathing right behind your neck, only separated by a plastic window. In Sport and Track mode, the engine sound deepens a bit and the engine emits neatly artificially composed angry barks when releasing the accelerator pedal. The engine comes to life by pressing a red start button, which, like Lamborghini, is located under a kind of safety catch.
Nice interior
In terms of build quality, comfort and level of finish, this Lotus is extraordinaire. We see a lot of electronics, feel alcantara and smell beautiful quilted leather. And there is even Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and a touchscreen on board! Vinegar whiners will say that the buttons of the Drive Selector and the steering wheel, among other things, come from Lynk & Co, the electric brand from China that is also owned by Geely. But that is simply the advantage of large manufacturers, they always have a parts bin that they can grab.
Annoying beep
We also heard a fairly annoying beep at idle speeds, possibly from one of the coolers, but that may be exemplary. The same goes for the driver's side window, which decided to open again on its own several times when we wanted to close it. Other notes about the interior concern the steering wheel with its rounded corners. You have to love that and it doesn't increase safety when you start drifting because it doesn't slip through your hands so easily. We are also not crazy about Alcantara on the steering wheel, but that is a matter of taste. In any case, it looks slick.
Too average
In terms of driving, the Lotus weighing 1405 kilos is perhaps a bit too average. A consequence of the choice to emphasize everyday usability. The car does little wrong, but does not excel anywhere, except in terms of chassis. That is so good that you actually hope for even more power. In our opinion, the Toyota engine lacks the exhilaration of a Cayman six-cylinder, the gears are just too long to call the car spectacularly fast and we expected a little more feedback from the steering. But for a manufacturer with a limited budget, it is great that they have made a really mature sports car, which also looks fantastic.
BPM penalty (Dutch environmental charge)
The BPM penalty of almost half a ton makes the six-cylinder a somewhat pricey version. Perhaps it is therefore smart to wait and see how the four-cylinder variant drives, which is equipped with the 2.0 liter engine of the Mercedes A45 AMG. This version will be 360 hp strong, but can sometimes provide a more lively character. The standard V6 will soon be available from around 130,000 euros. The First Edition driven by us costs 149,480 euros and at Lotus they hope to be able to keep the four-cylinder just under the ton. Both versions are also available with automatic transmission.

1669041247045.png

1669041272851.png

1669041294772.png

1669041325439.png

1669041342856.png

That article is an exercise in Search Engine Optimisation to get people to find it and click it, and link off to the other cars. How did they get 3*** ever after what they said?

Where is the emotion is these people.
Where is the mention of how amazing it looks, how great it will make you feel in a brand new car.

Ok, it might not be as all-round as capable as the "truly magnificent " Cayman... but really...

What Car have just published a review:

What a terrible review. It's short on factual information, just a mishmash of repeated specifications and seemingly random subjective observations. The rating system also seems completely arbitrary. For example, the Alpine 110 gets 5-3-2-4 in the various categories but pulls out a 5-star overall, while the Emira has 4-3-3-3 and is 3 stars overall. The Porsche Boxster gets a 5 on its very dated interior and even the reviewer floats the "weight saving" option of not having the infotainment system altogether.

Interesting those criticisms are so squarely placed on the V6 car. It will be good to see whether the I4 does indeed nail it or just introduce other new niggles.

The haters are so predictable. The I4 is no panacea, and I say this as a fan of Mercedes small turbo engines. The I4 brings with it much better low-end torque, I would assume, and no doubt some reviewers will claim that this makes the car "come alive" or some such language. Sure, more low-end torque would make the Emira a better grand tourer, but a better sports car? Did I really just read a review that complained about the need to shift gears to stay in the power band in a sports car?

To be sure, I believe the M139 is a wonderful engine choice for the Emira, and I believe that it will be the superior engine choice for many owners. However, there is something to be said of manual transmissions in a sports car, and reviews should take that motivation into account. If changing gears is a sin, then nothing beats a CVT.

It matters not if the engine is old if it is a great, robust proven engine anyway.
Come and hear the 2006 engine in my F430!

It just feels like there is an agenda out there to show Lotus in a bad light... I don't understand it peronally.

I bet most of these reviews would be entirely different if the reviewers didn't have any prior information on engine specs, etc. . A proper "blind" test, not a copycat review that summarizes some of the "flaws".

I bet most of these reviews would be entirely different if the reviewers didn't have any prior information on engine specs, etc. . A proper "blind" test, not a copycat review that summarizes some of the "flaws".
I dunno about that, the engine debate (Porsche 4.0 vs Toyota V6) which is really only between these two options at the moment, how can you not give minus points? The Porsche engine is superior from an over all aspect. When I test drove it, I liked the shift feel/ratio's and the low end power band felt better to me on the Emira. But on a track or going full out (which these are sports cars) the 4.0 is the better engine. No question.

Porsche(VW GTI?) 2.0 turbo 4 pot vs AMG i4 Turbo - That is a different story. AMG is going to be the better engine IMO.

probably, I was trying to make it sound worse hahaha

Eh, I love my EA888 turbo VW engine! The tuning potential is up there, if not superior, with the AMG. And it's reliable! Check out these results from a simple $550 stage 1 tune. +120HP/104TQ over stock!

w0nkg2btp62a1.jpg

The i4 will be the Emira that they all rave about, the modern looks with the modern engine plus as we know they have left plenty of room in the tank for upgraded versions of both engines. So hopefully the wait will be worth it for the i4ers.

These 'reviews' are getting old. I agree that the language of the review suggested a 4 star outcome, not 3.

It really DOES feel like there's some kind of agenda with how the Emira is being presented.

We get it, it's an old engine. But it's also reliable as hell, and allowed Lotus to engineer a new car and offer it with a manual transmission. While I would be over the moon with a little more power, I don't know that I'd trade it for rowing gears. I own an Alfa 4C, so the dual clutch / 4 cylinder turbo box is checked for me already.

I have no doubt the AMG engine will be awesome in the Emira, and it will be 'easy' to ring substantially more power out of it with tuning.

It sure does feel like all of the trashing of the V6 is a set-up for reviewers to absolutely LOVE the 4 cylinder version. It will be interesting to see if this is the case later next year.

And yes, the fact that there isn't a SINGLE COMMENT about the amazing looks makes this 'review' hard to take seriously.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back