• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira vs … Miata?

3A3968M

Reaction score
To be honest, while waiting for the Emira and contemplating whether I should sell my M2C in 2021 when the prices were wild, I considered a Miata to hold me over before the Emira’s arrival.

I own and daily drive 2021 Miata RF with an Goodwin Exhaust and an Emira with the 3rd cat delete. I go back and forth on which is more fun for the road.

The lightweight, playfulness, sound (exhaust) and retractable top make the Miata a blast with your foot to the floor banging thru a great shifter. The looks, handling, extra power and sound, while shifting the mechanical six speed in the Emira special around curvy open roads.

I own both; my Miata is a 2021 RF Club.
I can’t decide which is more fun to drive, they’re both absolutely a hoot!
I’m planning on keeping the Emira forever, the Miata will likely be it’s garage companion forever as well

I own and daily drive 2021 Miata RF with an Goodwin Exhaust and an Emira with the 3rd cat delete. I go back and forth on which is more fun for the road.

The lightweight, playfulness, sound (exhaust) and retractable top make the Miata a blast with your foot to the floor banging thru a great shifter. The looks, handling, extra power and sound, while shifting the mechanical six speed in the Emira special around curvy open roads.
Nice to have both cars to choose from. (y)

To be honest, while waiting for the Emira and contemplating whether I should sell my M2C in 2021 when the prices were wild, I considered a Miata to hold me over before the Emira’s arrival.

I also have a 2019 MX-5 ND (soft top) in Europe with only about 15k miles (not known as a Miata there) and on a sunny Sunday run through the twists and turns in the mountains over there, and I have to admit, it generates more smiles per mile than anything else I own, including the Emira. The MX-5 is toy-ish in size and playful, yet never seems to scare me even when pushed to its limits, something that, by the way, is not too difficult to do. Admittedly, the Emira, while also not overly powerful, it's also fun to drive, but commands a bit more respect and restraint. Look-wise though, in my view, the MX-5 is cute, but the Emira is just gorgeous.

I don't own a Miata but being a sports car owner for 30 years with a variety brands, I can't remember meeting anybody who didn't love their Miata.

Given the price points, it's doesn't seem a particularly fair comparison.

I don't own a Miata but being a sports car owner for 30 years with a variety brands, I can't remember meeting anybody who didn't love their Miata.

Given the price points, it's doesn't seem a particularly fair comparison.
You're spot on. From a pricing and value perspective, the Miata is hard to beat.

My son has an RF and I have an Emira. For a reason!

;)

Mateo
X2...My son's RF pictured and my Emira should deliver this week

rs=w_1280,h_720 copy.jpg

I have an ND ragtop and thought I’d surely be replacing it with the Emira, but after yet another pre-sunrise Sunday morning drive through the canyons realized I simply can’t part with it and will keep it. They’re both must-haves (if you have the garage space), and both phenomenal in their own right.

I had a Miata before my Emira and I’m tempted to pick up an ND3 as a daily.

I have a lot of thoughts on these two cars, I think they’re very kindred but not for the obvious reasons. I’ll probably make a video, because it’s an essay.

Suffice it to say, I think the Miata is a step that leads to Emira (or any Lotus).

I had a Miata before my Emira and I’m tempted to pick up an ND3 as a daily.

I have a lot of thoughts on these two cars, I think they’re very kindred but not for the obvious reasons. I’ll probably make a video, because it’s an essay.

Suffice it to say, I think the Miata is a step that leads to Emira (or any Lotus).
They are kindred. My only wish for the Emira is analog gauges. Call me old school.

I have a 2019 ragtop and love it...And it's my sixth Miata and this is only my second Lotus. The Miata is a playful puppy, but Lotus turns up the dial into more serious territory. I plan to keep and enjoy both.

They are kindred. My only wish for the Emira is analog gauges. Call me old school.
No, not necessarily Old School.

I agree entirely that the Emira would greatly benefit ,look-wise and practicality-wise, from analog gauges. Given the car's sticking-to-basics theme i.e. combustion engine, hydraulic steering and optional manual shifter, the use of analog gauges would seem to suite that theme much better. Unfortunately, the great majority of auto makers these days are going fully digital.

I would be content with having a center analog tach complemented by other readings in digital form, which is how my 911 (991.2) is set up but, now even the newer 911 models are going all digital with simulated round digital gauges. It sucks.

No, not necessarily Old School.

I agree entirely that the Emira would greatly benefit ,look-wise and practicality-wise, from analog gauges. Given the car's sticking-to-basics theme i.e. combustion engine, hydraulic steering and optional manual shifter, the use of analog gauges would seem to suite that theme much better. Unfortunately, the great majority of auto makers these days are going fully digital.

I would be content with having a center analog tach complemented by other readings in digital form, which is how my 911 (991.2) is set up but, now even the newer 911 models are going all digital with simulated round digital gauges. It sucks.
When I first saw Emira’s exterior design, I immediately thought the coolest thing Lotus could do would be analog gauges. To paraphrase some observations from the host of car mags I subscribe to (yes, I love a print copy in my hands), analog is becoming a more sought after rarity, and cars destined to be classics (which I believe the Emira is) will be dated by their technology.

Miata is a neat fun car, but I'd take ANY lotus over a Miata, if I had to choose.

I'm intrigued by how many of you chose the RF Miata over the regular vert. To me the regular vert top is so easy to use there's no need for a power top especially when you lose some of the open air feeling. Of course I own a Pontiac Solstice GXP so I have learned to live with sub optimal top operation for awhile.

I'm intrigued by how many of you chose the RF Miata over the regular vert. To me the regular vert top is so easy to use there's no need for a power top especially when you lose some of the open air feeling. Of course I own a Pontiac Solstice GXP so I have learned to live with sub optimal top operation for awhile.

I would have selected an RF over my ragtop were it not for autocross racing. The weight penalty of the power top is not significant, I do love a good targa, and you get increased durability and security and noise isolation with the top in place. However, when turning hard laps at parking lot racing speeds, having that weight up high is an issue. Four of the five Miatas I had previously were soft top only, but the one power retractable hardtop that I had (at the same time as my Elise) gave me an appreciation for Mazda's take on the layout.