• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira vs Corvette E-Ray - Spoiler, Emira wins

Having come from 2 Corvette C8 Stingrays and being a fan of "everything C8", I was much more interested in the C8 Z06 for my next car...and horrified when the price for the C8 E-Ray was announced (ridiculously close to the C8 Z06). I say this, since at least for me in Canada (with GM's "special" made-for-Canada-only C8 ++ increased 2024 pricing), there's ZERO comparison between the E-Ray and Emira pricing. The Emira costs far less, so you get way more bang for your buck, IMO.

Maybe the cost comparison is closer in the States, but even there, I suspect anyone buying an E-Ray decently loaded with options, will pay more. Or if you were to "match" the E-Ray options as much as possible (good luck!), to those in the First Edition Emira, the E-Ray would still cost a fair bit more.

In other words, I think MotorTrend failed to point out that price difference, as another "big plus" for the Emira.

That said, I agree with most of their other points and happily, they "get it" when it comes to the Emira enjoyable SPORT CAR drive, compared to the more luxurious and easy to drive, E-Ray. I chose to purchase the Emira, rather than the Z06, which is a whole other story...but I'm +++ pleased now with that decision, even though they are 2 completely different vehicles (just like the E-Ray is, compared to the Emira).

Thanks Rapture, for bringing this article to our attention.

Thanks for posting the article. I will have to disagree though and say that the corvette’s change to mid-engine had nothing to do with lotus. They were targeting Porsche and trying to draw in buyers from other super cars with their Z06 monster setup and price/performance proposition. Super cars don’t have manuals anyways so corvette didn’t need one either.

Motor trend really did us justice with this comparison. Makes up for their last piece. They nailed the driving experience. Truly amazing car in a class of it's own.

"We marvel at how, even with the stiffer suspension, it can road trip like a proper grand tourer with no compromises to its track-car roots."​
"The Emira expects the driver to possess a level of knowledge and experience that, sadly, is fading from the enthusiast psyche—not merely how to drive a car, but how to finesse a car."​

"Approach it with the right attitude, and it’ll perform honest-to-goodness magic. Don’t clamp down on the steering wheel; grip it with your fingertips as gently as you would an egg filled with nitroglycerin, and it will communicate every little nuance of the track and let you position the car with micrometer precision."​

" The Emira’s grand achievement is delivering that purist Lotus character in a truly livable package."​

I just looked at a loaded 3lz eray convertible. 655 total hp and 0 to 60 in 2.5s. I think quarter in the 10s..Impressive #'s..
Easily serviced without getting Ferrari gouged. Also better quality and awesome interior. I'm starting to waiver and never thought I'd lose interest in the Emira but its ridiculous the experience so far. I feel like a sucker waiting.
In Canada it was $168k+ and taxes etc... maybe $15k more than the Emira. I am very tempted. 2years+ almost zero communication and still told at least 1year wait for base. Gimme a break already.

I just looked at a loaded 3lz eray convertible. 655 total hp and 0 to 60 in 2.5s. I think quarter in the 10s..Impressive #'s..
Easily serviced without getting Ferrari gouged. Also better quality and awesome interior. I'm starting to waiver and never thought I'd lose interest in the Emira but its ridiculous the experience so far. I feel like a sucker waiting.
In Canada it was $168k+ and taxes etc... maybe $15k more than the Emira. I am very tempted. 2years+ almost zero communication and still told at least 1year wait for base. Gimme a break already.
Research the extra recommended servicing required, by the E-Ray. Make an informed decision based on all the facts. The Emira will not “Ferrari gouge” you on service costs, either. However admittedly parts will be more since it’s a lower production car based in the UK with fewer dealerships, although you’re a fool taking a C8 to just any GM dealership for warranty work. Each city has a few with good/trained C8 techs and I doubt many exist in Canada that can properly work on all aspects of the E-Ray, right now.

I debated the dealer access before buying my Emira, rather than a C8 Z06. I’m pleased with my decision, based upon the completely different and IMO better sport car ride of the Emira, which is the main point made by MotorTrend.

The E-Ray had a very frustrating and lengthy wait period for those wanting an allocation. I’m assuming, like the Z06 many like me impatiently waited for (my allocation took almost 3 years), the E-Ray has more recently become easier to get, although my next door neighbour still hasn’t heard anything about his E-Ray even though he’s always been sitting at the #1 spot on his dealer’s list. In other words, if you’re not on an E-Ray list already (with a refundable deposit), you still may have a long wait. Best to enquire and while you’re at it, I’d suggest staying on both lists so you have a choice, whenever your first allocation comes up. GM greatly reduced the Canadian C8 allocations a few years ago, shifting ours to Europe, Japan and Australia.

That said, take an Emira for a test drive. If you prefer to “rocket away from a stop sign” and beat most other vehicles 0 to 60, love the wider body C8 look, want the deeper/louder V8 rumble, but have a C8 body style vehicle you’ll see lots of, wherever you are, then the E-Ray is for you. I used to be in that camp with the Z-06, but now I’m hooked on the Emira ride/feel and happy with my almost 2 year wait to get not just an Emira allocation, but an actual delivery. Always nice to have choices but choose wisely after doing your research and knowing your preferences. Good luck!

Any of the C8s are an amazing value for the money, but are people really cross-shopping any of them against an Emira? Both of course are mid-engine two seaters, yet from a drivetrain, handling, and size perspective they couldn't be more different.

I can't really wrap my head around this comparison?? These cars and their buyers are SO different. I can't imagine anyone is cross shopping a hybrid corvette and an "old school" analog Emira.
doesnt_make_any_sense_anchorman.gif

Research the extra recommended servicing required, by the E-Ray. Make an informed decision based on all the facts. The Emira will not “Ferrari gouge” you on service costs, either. However admittedly parts will be more since it’s a lower production car based in the UK with fewer dealerships, although you’re a fool taking a C8 to just any GM dealership for warranty work. Each city has a few with good/trained C8 techs and I doubt many exist in Canada that can properly work on all aspects of the E-Ray, right now.

I debated the dealer access before buying my Emira, rather than a C8 Z06. I’m pleased with my decision, based upon the completely different and IMO better sport car ride of the Emira, which is the main point made by MotorTrend.

The E-Ray had a very frustrating and lengthy wait period for those wanting an allocation. I’m assuming, like the Z06 many like me impatiently waited for (my allocation took almost 3 years), the E-Ray has more recently become easier to get, although my next door neighbour still hasn’t heard anything about his E-Ray even though he’s always been sitting at the #1 spot on his dealer’s list. In other words, if you’re not on an E-Ray list already (with a refundable deposit), you still may have a long wait. Best to enquire and while you’re at it, I’d suggest staying on both lists so you have a choice, whenever your first allocation comes up. GM greatly reduced the Canadian C8 allocations a few years ago, shifting ours to Europe, Japan and Australia.

That said, take an Emira for a test drive. If you prefer to “rocket away from a stop sign” and beat most other vehicles 0 to 60, love the wider body C8 look, want the deeper/louder V8 rumble, but have a C8 body style vehicle you’ll see lots of, wherever you are, then the E-Ray is for you. I used to be in that camp with the Z-06, but now I’m hooked on the Emira ride/feel and happy with my almost 2 year wait to get not just an Emira allocation, but an actual delivery. Always nice to have choices but choose wisely after doing your research and knowing your preferences. Good luck!
I responded to this post days ago,not sure why it's not here.

Anyways I guess you didn't comprehend my post correctly. Alot of assumptions. I obviously did my research. I also said I looked at one already! There are 2 available. I can buy for $168k like I stated the price already. That's loaded and a good deal. The beautiful interior is excellent quality. You get a lot of bang for your buck. 8500rpm redline. Cross plane crankshaft. Carbon Ceramic Brakes. I never said I was committed. Just observing options like others have done. For example Porshe etc.

I've taken the Emira on 3 test drives already.

If you don't think $1000 usd for an oil change isn't Gouging then you're a millionaire who doesn't mind getting hosed. Shouldn't cost more than $250.

There are several dealerships nearby for servicing by trained personnel.
Unlike the Emira i will have to drive 4hrs for warranty work. Also heard Lotus is a nightmare to deal with for warranty items and takes a long time for parts once approved. I've owned 1 GM sports car in past and never had a problem with servicing.

I placed my depost 2 years ago and the price of the Emira has gone up. Now there are people saying the base will be alot higher.

Then you factor the quality issues with British cars specifically a Lotus and it starts making you doubt your decision. As well as used Emiras are tanking in value apparently.

I love the Emira for many reasons. But I'm starting to ask if the grass is greener in the other side.

Everyone can have their opinion. Some commentors(not you) get triggered if anyone has a differing opinion and observation after waiting so long with almost zero communication. Lotus has definitely not earned my business. It's not like $175k Canadian is chump change to me anyways.

Have a wonderful day!

Last edited:
Thanks for that thoughtful reply john777. I now know better where you’re coming from. Yes $1,000 is too much for an Emira oil/filter change. I’m surprised with that quote and expect you could find a cheaper one, moreso at a shop that services British vehicles, rather than a Lotus dealership. That said and having personally just done my first Emira oil change, it’s more work for the Emira with its more extensive underplate bolt set-up (so that arguably justifies a cost more than $250), and I’ve posted my wish on this Forum that Lotus replicates the wonderful C8 design of putting holes in the underbody plates to allow ready access to the pan bolt and oil filter, w/o removing any plates, however GM is somewhat unique with that approach, compared to many other vehicle manufacturers (not just Lotus).

My First Edition Emira cost about C$156,250 including the dealer $895 doc fee, the $6,995 pdi/delivery fee (both of which I unsuccessfully challenged) and the taxes, such as gst and the dreaded luxury tax, so “all in”. That of course comes with the First Edition "loaded" options, plus the $800 alcantara steering wheel and $1,969 upper black pack, as 2 additional options. The C8 Z06 I originally wanted, locked in at C$255,000 all in, after the massive made-only-for-Canada 2024 C8 price increase, so I toned down the options to get to C$215,000 all in. I couldn’t believe the E-Ray price announcement, with the E-Ray costing almost the same as the Z06. The standard E-Ray ceramic brakes, increased the E-Ray price but still, IMO the E-Ray innovation doesn't compare with the stellar C8 Z06 engine and exhaust system engineering, so the E-Ray price isn't justified, but that's my way of thinking.

Anyway, the above price difference is why I see the Emira as really good "bang-for-your-buck" compared to the C8 E-Ray and Z06...for me, since my C8 pricing was for a 3LZ convertible, which I "had to have" and perhaps your E-Ray pricing was lower for that reason? Regardless, the C8's and Emira are obviously 2 different vehicles, so it comes down to preference and what your focus is for a sport car. I prefer the ride/cornering/feel of the Emira and LOVE its manual transmission, which you can no longer get in a Corvette.

Nice to have these vehicle choices, while we all wait for the ICE vehicles to supposedly get "phased out". Good luck with your purchase decision!

Any of the C8s are an amazing value for the money, but are people really cross-shopping any of them against an Emira? Both of course are mid-engine two seaters, yet from a drivetrain, handling, and size perspective they couldn't be more different.
Yes. I considered a Z51 C8. After flogging my buddy's HTC I can honestly say the power is fantastic, the stereo is black magic fuckery, and the car is very capable. But the road feel is non existent and overall engagement numb.