Emira vs. GT4 (and side topic: disappointing laptimes of the emira)

and felt too much like a tinker's shack

fantastic - get yourself into a S1 Exige and the S2 V6 will feel like a Bentley 🤡

I am no pro by any means, I used to track more often in the past though, but its not even about that. ts not about that I would be able to achieve the fastest laptime, its more about that the car is capable to achieve it… I dont care what others think and its not about bench racing. Its just for me and my piece of mind. Dont know how else to describe it... And yeah,. I know, its kinda stupid 🤦‍♂️

and felt too much like a tinker's shack

fantastic - get yourself into a S1 Exige and the S2 V6 will feel like a Bentley 🤡
Like I said, that was just DEEPLs translation (the german word was „Bastelbude“ :ROFLMAO: is that an inappropriate expression?🤭

I believe more Miatas are tracked than any other street car. Obviously they are not the fastest, but they are fun, both on the track and on the steet.
I keep thinking about what Thomas of Throttle House said as he was driving the Emira. He said that he prefers the Emira over every exotic sportscar he has ever driven. That tells me that there is alot more to the "feel" of the Emira than I can imagine, given that I have not driven one. The Evora GT I drove was definitely entertaining, to say the least.

I keep thinking about what Thomas of Throttle House said as he was driving the Emira. He said that he prefers the Emira over every exotic sportscar he has ever driven. That tells me that there is alot more to the "feel" of the Emira than I can imagine, given that I have not driven one.
Good point!

I believe more Miatas are tracked than any other street car. Obviously they are not the fastest, but they are fun, both on the track and on the steet.
Yeah but the Miata is slow due to lack of power. The Emira has the same power as a GTS 4.0 yet is several seconds slower on a 1:30min track. Guess we will have to wait and see. I am not gonna pull the trigger just yet.

Tinker’s shack is my new favorite expression.

I suspect the turn-in can be improved on Emira with some alignment tweaks, which is a very popular mod on Elise/Exige. Basically Lotus tunes a bit more center tracking and a bit more understeer. I’ve driven Elise and Exige before and after these alignment adjustments and turn-in goes from good to lazer-sharp amazing.
Spot on! It's what I will do with my Emira...nitron, forged wheels, sharper geometry, loose some weight...as in me and the car.

To be fair, even a pre-owned 718 GT4 is ~$130k USD these days. You can do A LOT of Emira upgrades with that extra $30k USD and be much quicker around a track than the GT4. Tires, suspension, bolt-ons, tune, and some weight savings...

Some rough high end estimates:
  • $5,000 coilovers, alignment, corner balance
  • $7,000 exhaust, intake, upgraded supercharger
  • $2,000 custom tune
  • $4,000 carbon buckets
  • $12,000 lighter forged wheels and sticky tires (may not be needed if already spec'd the Cup2s)
  • $30k total = 3k lbs. 500WHP supercar killer

The 718 GT4 I was testdriving was 115k vs a new Emira 112k

The problem right now is that you can't even custom order a 718 GT4 unless you're a VIP Porsche customer. And If I'm going to spend big bucks a new car, I certainly don't want to buy pre-owned unless I absolutely have no choice and the car is a must have. Right now, the GT4 isn't a must have. I may sing a different tune if 2 years from now my Emira wait list doesn't become a solid delivery order.

The problem right now is that you can't even custom order a 718 GT4 unless you're a VIP Porsche customer.

You can't order a GT4 at all, ever. They're done. The 4RS will be produced for a while longer, but near impossible to get without $100k+ ADM... then it's all about the EV Cayman.

The market must be a little different in Switzerland. If you can get a new GT4 for the price of the Emria (or even a bit more), buy the GT4. It's the better car and will hold (and likely gain) value.

You can't order a GT4 at all, ever. They're done. The 4RS will be produced for a while longer, but near impossible to get without $100k+ ADM... then it's all about the EV Cayman.
Ah ok thx for the correction.

if you wanted a GT4 in switzerland you could get one. You dont need to be a VIP. But like already stated, they dont take anymore orders, its sold out. New GT4 would have been 130k vs 110k for the Emira.

if you wanted a GT4 in switzerland you could get one. You dont need to be a VIP. But like already stated, they dont take anymore orders, its sold out. New GT4 would have been 130k vs 110k for the Emira.
You even have a chance for a GT4 RS at list price without ADM in Switzerland. 170k for a GT4 RS.

I hope my Emira will arrive at the dealer early April. Modifications done in April and have planned a track day in Spain for the 15th of May. Very much looking forward to it.

Yeah but the Miata is slow due to lack of power. The Emira has the same power as a GTS 4.0 yet is several seconds slower on a 1:30min track. Guess we will have to wait and see. I am not gonna pull the trigger just yet.

I've got a feeling you'd get absolutely bullied by a stock power Miata in an advanced track day with you driving a GT4, GTS 4.0 or an Emira.

I'm trying to be polite and not trying to insult anyone, but from everything you've stated I think you're just better off in a car that gets great advertised Nurburgring lap times or something. You seem more impressed with what someone else could do in your future car than what you could do in it.

I think that's a damn shame, but I recognize we're not all here for the same reasons.

I've got a feeling you'd get absolutely bullied by a stock power Miata in an advanced track day with you driving a GT4, GTS 4.0 or an Emira.

I'm trying to be polite and not trying to insult anyone, but from everything you've stated I think you're just better off in a car that gets great advertised Nurburgring lap times or something. You seem more impressed with what someone else could do in your future car than what you could do in it.

I think that's a damn shame, but I recognize we're not all here for the same reasons.

Track days can be a humbling experience for sure. That's why they say there's no mod greater than seat time (and brakes)!

Why would you insult anyone on this topic and why should there even be a reason to be not polite? Its your opinion and its totally fine by me. You have no idea how I am driving and what I am able to achieve and what not. I did a lot of trackdays in the past but I am not a pro by any means (which I already stated before) but we do have to be realistic here, so no: a stock Miata wont be faster than a GT4 even if walter röhrl is driving it. But like I said, its your right to think/believe whatever you want.

All I am saying is that it bugs me that the Emira is putting down slow laptimes (so far). And it seems like some people try to defend it or may even be offended because they try to defend their purchase. That is fine by me, its kind of normal I guess.

And by the way, you said yourself you struggled with the same thoughts…

All good, lets just leave it this way. Just kinda sad that this kind of discussions turns out this way.

Edit: But what I agree with you on is that we are not all here for the same reason when I read that people buy the car just for its fast looks and for others turning their heads…

Last edited:
It’s an interesting thread but last time I was at donnington last summer the two fastest “non super car” were an Elise and an ST fiesta driven by an instructor he destroyed everyone there unless it was very powerful. I was driving my 2-11 so I need to increase my driving skills. Anyway, the point is you can whack low power cars round a track at an incredibly fast pace if you can drive. The v6 in an emira isn’t slow and I am sure it won’t feel that way. If you can drive it you’ll do ok.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back