• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Exhaust upgrade on v6? You need to know this (real life experience and Lotus dealership input)

But there isnt a force closed mode
1 = equivalent of track- fully open
2 = equivalent of sport
3 = oem ie follows the vehicle mode be it road, sport or track

Personally i put it in mode 1 the dayni fitted it and havent looked back.
Its super easy to do

Lotus Silverstone noted it was fitted when it went in for another warranty issue. They have no concerns about it at all
I don’t think that’s correct. Information from Lotus suggests the valve position in track mode is dependent on the RPM’s albeit slightly more aggressive.

Changing gear ratios by ECU mode seems inaccurate. We're for more on what you meant by "shorter gear ratios".
Sorry, I don't play that game. I'm for more on trying to help other members when I can and as well as I can. Likewise, I very much appreciate when others help me. David s was seeking help. Surely, you or someone else, will explain it better to him.

Sorry, I don't play that game. I'm for more on trying to help other members when I can and as well as I can. Likewise, I very much appreciate when others help me. David s was seeking help. Surely, you or someone else can explain it better to him.
I'm confused and think we're just misunderstanding each other. Didn't you post that gear ratios are shorter in sport and track modes? I was just inviting you to share more on that point. No games.

How would the gear ratios in the transmission change?

It's not that the gear ratios change in the transmission, rather it's the shift points that are remapped with the change of drive modes so that each gear is held onto longer in sport and track to maintain optimal torque and higher RPMs which, in turn, trigger opening of valves.
But you weren't really confused. You knew this all along, didn't ya?

It's not that the gear ratios change in the transmission, rather it's the shift points that are remapped with the change of drive modes so that each gear is held onto longer in sport and track to maintain optimal torque and higher RPMs which, in turn, trigger opening of valves.
felt like a legit question to me. in any case, yes, the modes only change the redline. that "effectively" does in fact change the experienced gear ratios. Nothing mechanical going on.

Genuinely didn't catch your meaning and was just worried that others might misunderstand too. thanks for clarifying!

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here.

It was a totally legitimate question which still hasn’t been answered.
Now it sounds like you’re talking about an automatic transmission.

I’m just as confused as the other guy, and I’m pretty sure I’m not a total idiot.

I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here.

It was a totally legitimate question which still hasn’t been answered.
Now it sounds like you’re talking about an automatic transmission.

I’m just as confused as the other guy, and I’m pretty sure I’m not a total idiot.
Like I said, I don't play these games. Over and out.

Just to jump in here I have a FE V6 Manual and have had the Larini bypass pipe fitted (not the full System) it was relatively inexpensive to fit and my local Lotus Dealer did it - Stratton Motor Company who are excellent. The sound the car makes is absolutely amazing it really does sound like a V12 Ferrari. The cars just seems to drive so much better with it more free raving and just feels less restricted.
JCT600 Bradford won't touch putting my 3rd cat delete pipe on, they say that it causes no faults but can't fit it.

Doesn't suprise me to be honest. Main dealer wouldnt want to get involved in modifying a car with anything other than OEM dealer fit options.

Like I said, I don't play these games. Over and out.
GIF by moodman

Sorry for the dumb question. So once the 3rd cat is installed(without the valve controller), are the valves fully open when you trigger 'track "mode? what is the difference between track mode and using the controller to trigger open mode. Does the controller delete the function of the lotus installed "touring, sport, track"" settings?
The valves are not fully open on track mode on lower RPM, having the VC, on OEM mode, I put the car in track mode while at idle, the sound gets louder. Then I open the VC, it gets even louder.

I'm interested in a Ti exhaust to save weight and a third cat delete but I think I'd just keep the original valve controller and put it in track mode if I want the noise.
This is where you may get the limp mode problem even with the stock controller. (That is where my problems started). I.e. Even if you keep the stock controller, you need to disconnect it from the exhaust to connect the new Ti exhaust. When you do that, if you don't connect it back in the same "remembered" valve position, you will end up with limp modes. The Miltek controller mitigates that, by simply keeping the valved fully open and returning "all ok" to the ECU. I think easiest path to great sound seems 3rd cat delete, stock exhaust, but then you may have emission check issues.

But there isnt a force closed mode
1 = equivalent of track- fully open
2 = equivalent of sport
3 = oem ie follows the vehicle mode be it road, sport or track

Personally i put it in mode 1 the dayni fitted it and havent looked back.
Its super easy to do

Lotus Silverstone noted it was fitted when it went in for another warranty issue. They have no concerns about it at all
I don't think the modes you describe are right:
Mode 1 - is fully open, no stock modes are full open, they all progressively open up as you increase throttle
Mode 2 - fully closed, not stock mode is fully closed. This is the one that should never be there. It is not Sport mode. And, Sport mode and Track mode are identical in exhaust operation in the bottom and top end.
Mode 3 - is correct as you stated it. I assume road=Tour.

Bottom line is, safest thing to do is put it in mode 1, all open, the only downside(??) is that it will be always loud. Not too bad ;)

This is where you may get the limp mode problem even with the stock controller. (That is where my problems started). I.e. Even if you keep the stock controller, you need to disconnect it from the exhaust to connect the new Ti exhaust. When you do that, if you don't connect it back in the same "remembered" valve position, you will end up with limp modes. The Miltek controller mitigates that, by simply keeping the valved fully open and returning "all ok" to the ECU. I think easiest path to great sound seems 3rd cat delete, stock exhaust, but then you may have emission check issues.
100%

And I think that’s what I’ll do.

Sorry, but how is what possible? Stay constructive please...
He is being constructive. No gear ratios change between modes. All that changes, and our ears perceptive as a change on exhaust opening, is that both idle speed and redline are increased in sport/ track modes, thus increasing engine exhaust pitch and opening the value a hair.

He is being constructive. No gear ratios change between modes. All that changes, and our ears perceptive as a change on exhaust opening, is that both idle speed and redline are increased in sport/ track modes, thus increasing engine exhaust pitch and opening the value a hair.
To be fair lowering the redline effectively shortens that gear. If you then compare gears one to another you could say that the gear ratios have shifted. It was just accomplished electronically vs mechanically limiting the top end speeds of each gear. But maybe the gear ratios have no changed? If all the gears are shortened by the same amount. Probably a hair one way or the other.

I have an idea, surely it can’t be too hard to open the controller and disconnect the closed button or add something to stop the connection?
The good thing is you have to press it every time you start the car and it’s very obvious you are opening the valve due to the sound.
Personally having any aftermarket exhaust and a bypass is a 100% improvement on stock and how it should have been from Lotus.
Luckily my neighbours get on with me and I don’t get complaints. 😁

Last edited:
Well im going to be removing mine. Definitely causing problems
Remove the aftermarket valve control? Sounds reasonable. People seem to forget that some back pressure with the partially closed valves helps to keep the exhaust system running correctly especially at low rpm’s. There’s a reason there are valves and a reason they are closed at certain times.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back