• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Exhaust upgrade on v6? You need to know this (real life experience and Lotus dealership input)

I don't think the modes you describe are right:
Mode 1 - is fully open, no stock modes are full open, they all progressively open up as you increase throttle
Mode 2 - fully closed, not stock mode is fully closed. This is the one that should never be there. It is not Sport mode. And, Sport mode and Track mode are identical in exhaust operation in the bottom and top end.
Mode 3 - is correct as you stated it. I assume road=Tour.

Bottom line is, safest thing to do is put it in mode 1, all open, the only downside(??) is that it will be always loud. Not too bad ;)
The buttons on mvc vary for 2 & 3.... grp confirms that....1 fully open BUT some controllers have positione 3 & 3 functions reversed....

Great post by the OP.... but few comments n Questions....

I have grp 3rd Cat bypass n MVC....

I get limp mode ,so far only when I'm going up hill hitting redline n the water temp goes upto 200F from usual 180 to 185F ,on a hot day here in so cal.... typically on full open mode... it usually resets to normal after the car cools off.... on last drive, on way down hill ,I pulled off to enjoy the view n about 10 min later, restarted the car and the RPM was back to normal range but check engine light was on this time.... will read the code later...

I heard people having their cars going to limp mode on the driveway home from the dealer after buying it brand new and so far have not heard many with limp mode on cars with third cat delete and MVC....

I don't think it's the exhaust/mvc issue. ..

I've never heard of ecu reading valve positions.... may be Louis does but .... is the VC on their exhaust truly a bidirectional signal? My huracan with aftermarket valved exhaust by fab speed and GT3 with ipe valved exhaust are uni directional signals with no issues ever having check engine light come on due to valve positions..... I doubt lotus is that advanced in terms of reading valve position....

I'm not saying that it has nothing to do wth it.... yah, the exhaust pressure can affect the flow n volume n potentially cause emission n O2 sensors to read differently and cause limp mode, yadi yadi yah.... I get that but this limp mode issue is not just due to this issue.... may be their ecu is programmed to too narrow parameters....

I just wish lotus would fix it...it's annoying when I can't drive the car at its potential....

'24 FE hethel yellow

Great post by the OP.... but few comments n Questions....

I have grp 3rd Cat bypass n MVC....

I get limp mode ,so far only when I'm going up hill hitting redline n the water temp goes upto 200F from usual 180 to 185F ,on a hot day here in so cal.... typically on full open mode... it usually resets to normal after the car cools off.... on last drive, on way down hill ,I pulled off to enjoy the view n about 10 min later, restarted the car and the RPM was back to normal range but check engine light was on this time.... will read the code later...

I heard people having their cars going to limp mode on the driveway home from the dealer after buying it brand new and so far have not heard many with limp mode on cars with third cat delete and MVC....

I don't think it's the exhaust/mvc issue. ..

I've never heard of ecu reading valve positions.... may be Louis does but .... is the VC on their exhaust truly a bidirectional signal? My huracan with aftermarket valved exhaust by fab speed and GT3 with ipe valved exhaust are uni directional signals with no issues ever having check engine light come on due to valve positions..... I doubt lotus is that advanced in terms of reading valve position....

I'm not saying that it has nothing to do wth it.... yah, the exhaust pressure can affect the flow n volume n potentially cause emission n O2 sensors to read differently and cause limp mode, yadi yadi yah.... I get that but this limp mode issue is not just due to this issue.... may be their ecu is programmed to too narrow parameters....

I just wish lotus would fix it...it's annoying when I can't drive the car at its potential....

'24 FE hethel yellow
Can you clarify what setting you were using for the valve? Fully open, OEM, or closed?

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back