• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Funny reason my 3rd brake light wasn't working

All fixed!

It turns out none of my pin tools were small enough for the insanely tiny pin connectors on this lead, so I ended up cutting them in the middle of the damaged section, applied shrink wrap to the sections with partial damage, and then spliced and soldered the main sections of damage with good NTE silver solder.

PXL_20240605_044636120.jpg

Then heat shrink tubing over the spliced sections to insulate and seal them, and pro grade vinyl tape wrap to finish it off and help stabilize the spliced sections for the long haul. I expect this will be a permanent fix.

PXL_20240605_045048477.jpg
PXL_20240605_045753833.jpg

Reinstalled on the car and voila, I have brake lights again. Bonus: without waiting 6 to 8 weeks to get the car into the shop, plus an unknown (and possibly horrible) wait for parts.

Last edited:
All fixed!

It turns out none of my pin tools were small enough for the insanely tiny pin connectors on this lead, so I ended up cutting them in the middle of the damaged section, applied shrink wrap to the sections with partial damage, and then spliced and soldered the main sections of damage with good NTE silver solder. Then heat shrink tubing over the spliced sections to insulate and seal them, and then pro grade vinyl tape wrap to finish it off and help stabilize the spliced sections for the long haul. I expect this will be a permanent fix.

View attachment 45130View attachment 45131View attachment 45132

Reinstalled, and voila, I have brake lights again. Without waiting 6 to 8 weeks, plus an unknown (and possibly horrible) wait for parts.
Looks solid. Good job.

not advocating for the emira, but this better than steel wool as it won't rust. use this in soffets and such to keep them out of the garage.

Californistan Copper Mesh Rodent Control, 5in x 32ft- Rustproof Copper Mesh Roll for Rodent, Bat & Snail - Perfect for Hole Blocking, Gardening & Sealing Water Opening - Plus Special Bonus Scissor

Not sure where the wiring harnesses are made, but I know Toyota's had issues with mice because the wire insulation is soy based.....food for mice! A great deterrent is essential peppermint oil. It smells good, and mice hate it, but needs to be replenished monthly. Something to keep in mind for winter storage.