• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Further thoughts on the Emira from Chris Harris

chris-harris-emira.png

Chris Harris chats to Top Gear Magazine’s Jack Rix about the all-new Lotus Emira, comparing it to rivals such as the Porsche Cayman. Plus, Chris talks about his first-ever experiences with Geely, the Chinese car giant that acquired Lotus back in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched this conversation through a couple of times now and I'm so glad that they chose to publish this. I think Harris's take is a really reasonable and compelling one, and I'm glad he got the chance to reflect on it in this way after driving the car pretty extensively and doing the video piece for Top Gear (show). This gives a much more contextualized and useful perspective than any of the driving reviews in a way, because it's not only about the driving of the car in the moment, it's about where it fits against the backdrop of the industry and the range of currently available ownership experiences.

I will say, this has me considering a switch back to the Touring chassis. Gav talked me out of it and into the Sports+Goodyear setup with his comments to Matt Farah about Touring being appropriate for people who were commuting, or that haven't owned a sports car before. I'm definitely neither of those things, so I went Sports+GY. Now I'm wondering whether the Touring setup would actually be the faster of the two options on mountain roads because of better composure and traction over complex surfaces.

Damn, I wish Lotus or some journalist would offer more clarity on that topic. What I want is a "tarmac rally"-equivalent setup for fast and dynamically composed mountain road driving in a weekend-only context, and Lotus hasn't provided enough info to say which of the two suspensions is actually closer to that outcome.

Any feedback that anyone with direct knowledge could provide on this topic would be extremely welcome.

Last edited:
Will be Q3 23 before we hear anything about the I4! :D:D
The world would have ended by then….. interest rates would be 20% and famine across the world because of nuclear fall out, not to mention world floods and wild fires across the artic circle.

Any feedback that anyone with direct knowledge could provide on this topic would be extremely welcome.
Don't worry about it! You don't need to know or understand the intricacies of each set up!!
Just flip a coin, open a beer and soak up the delay. Preparing yourself to be amazed or disappointed 😏🤣

The world would have ended by then….. interest rates would be 20% and famine across the world because of nuclear fall out, not to mention world floods and wild fires across the artic circle.
You mean The Last of Us? I tried playing that video game, but got bored with all the doom and gloom.

I've watched this conversation through a couple of times now and I'm so glad that they chose to publish this. I think Harris's take is a really reasonable and compelling one, and I'm glad he got the chance to reflect on it in this way after driving the car pretty extensively and doing the video piece for Top Gear (show). This gives a much more contextualized and useful perspective than any of the driving reviews in a way, because it's not only about the driving of the car in the moment, it's about where it fits against the backdrop of the industry and the range of currently available ownership experiences.

I will say, this has me considering a switch back to the Touring chassis. Gav talked me out of it and into the Sports+Goodyear setup with his comments to Matt Farah about Touring being appropriate for people who were commuting, or that haven't owned a sports car before. I'm definitely neither of those things, so I went Sports+GY. Now I'm wondering whether the Touring setup would actually be the faster of the two options on mountain roads because of better composure and traction over complex surfaces.

Damn, I wish Lotus or some journalist would offer more clarity on that topic. What I want is a "tarmac rally"-equivalent setup for fast and dynamically composed mountain road driving in a weekend-only context, and Lotus hasn't provided enough info to say which of the two suspensions is actually closer to that outcome.

I keep bouncing back n forth on the suspension too.

One option to consider is sports suspension with upgraded (after purchase) tires like the Michelin ps4s. Perhaps that would be the sweet spot.

But then again, who the hell knows! I’m really hoping dealer cars come out well in advance of me having to submit my build.

if your mountain roads are smooth why wouldn't sport+GY be perfect? Our 'driving' roads in the UK are mostly in bad shape, a stiff setup can be harsh and the chassis can skip about, something the Touring setup seems to deal with well. That's important context for CH's comments but does not apply everywhere.

I seem to remember driving on roads in Shenandoah and they were pretty good, although elsewhere in DC they're rubbish

if your mountain roads are smooth why wouldn't sport+GY be perfect? Our 'driving' roads in the UK are mostly in bad shape, a stiff setup can be harsh and the chassis can skip about, something the Touring setup seems to deal with well. That's important context for CH's comments but does not apply everywhere.

I seem to remember driving on roads in Shenandoah and they were pretty good, although elsewhere in DC they're rubbish
It's not about being in bad shape, the roads in the mountains in the eastern US are mostly in good condition but they are not on flat-graded slopes like the mountain roads out west. There is significant up and down motion in the lay of the road over the land, with a ton of ways that a car can unload the suspension when traveling at speed. So the issue isn't potholes, it's actual topography and complex, changing road surfaces.

Tail-of-the-Dragon-2.jpg

Tail-of-the-Dragon-.jpg

17c467af1ad858abfacd8015b7e27df5--dragon-tail-motorcycle-rides.jpg

It's not about being in bad shape, the roads in the mountains in the eastern US are mostly in good condition but they are not on flat-graded slopes like the mountain roads out west. There is significant up and down motion in the lay of the road over the land, with a ton of ways that a car can unload the suspension when traveling at speed. So the issue isn't potholes, it's actual topography and complex, changing road surfaces.

View attachment 7188
View attachment 7189
View attachment 7190
Those look like they'd be a blast to drive. (y)

Those look like they'd be a blast to drive. (y)
They are a goddamn riot. Super, super fun. Carrying speed with smooth inputs over these kind of roads is supremely rewarding.

They are a goddamn riot. Super, super fun. Carrying speed with smooth inputs over these kind of roads is supremely rewarding.
They look like a Sports set up kind of road for sure.
We have similar roads where I live but they are also poorly surfaced.. 😏

I went Sport with Goodyears. The roads I drive here in Vegas are smooth and enjoyable all year round.

I really appreciate Chris Harris for taking a open-minded and non-bigoted view toward things. Electric cars, China, these are common targets for western petrol-heads yet he is willing to dig into bussiness models, actual back records with Geely etc, I think this is what make him trust-worthy and one of my favorite car related figure.

View attachment 7188
View attachment 7189
View attachment 7190
Those pictures help understand your context. Sports will handle that well. It's potholes, broken edges and poorly surfaced roads where Touring will be more effective and Sports will potentially be a bit compromised.

Those pictures help understand your context. Sports will handle that well. It's potholes, broken edges and poorly surfaced roads where Touring will be more effective and Sports will potentially be a bit compromised.
Thanks Tom. It's very frustrating when manufacturers and journalists describe the more aggressive suspension option as "track" focused and the less aggressive option primarily in terms of daily commuting in a urban setting with deteriorated road infrastructure. It doesn't give useful information for the majority of dedicated sports car ownership contexts, which are typically neither of those extremes.

I have an S1 Exige and had it for many years now. Its been on track a few times and to Europe a few times but as much as I love it the roads here in the UK are not a good match for a car like this.

I didn't want another heavy Exige..... for the road. I also never considered for 1 min putting it on track.
The decision to go for tour was based on owning the Exige and the Esprit GT3 hoping the ride and handling will be a modern interpretion of both somewhere in the middle!
The Auto choice was that I liked the Idea, no clutch to replace (a massive ballache in an Evora) and a recommendation from an independent Lotus Mechanic who's driven several of either.

View attachment 7188
View attachment 7189
View attachment 7190
Sort of roads any Lotus will love!

The V6 is more than good with the supercharger. It has been ace in all its Lotus incarnations. Does sound the part too. With the reliability of a Toyota. Plus a stick.

What a truly great - and unbeatable - combination for a brilliant driving experience without the maintenance worries or huge bills.

My worry was/is that Lotus cocked up the handling according to a few reviewers I rate. Won’t mention the red line.

Oh and it looks a million dollars!

Copying accross…

Watched that a few minutes ago, it’s a great companion piece to the ‘review’ and for me was a better use of 7 minutes than the feature on Top gear.

The general consensus from most reviewers (and Chris) seems to be:

Looks amazing
Rides amazing
Handles well - apart from a little numbness with the front end
Engine - decent but unremarkable
Gearbox - decent but unremarkable

All in, great value.
This is what I don't get about Jethro B.'s review...he says the drivetrain doesn't cut it for 2022...well obviously! This is not a new car platform or model for many decades ahead. It's the last ICE for the brand. Why would they go bankrupt developing a 2020s technology if the 2010s works fine for most likely buyers of a short production run ? Plus in some occasions 2010s has a charisma that 2020s don't...I'd take my E46 engine over my F80s any day despite being underpowered.

This is what I don't get about Jethro B.'s review...he says the drivetrain doesn't cut it for 2022...well obviously! This is not a new car platform or model for many decades ahead. It's the last ICE for the brand. Why would they go bankrupt developing a 2020s technology if the 2010s works fine for most likely buyers of a short production run ? Plus in some occasions 2010s has a charisma that 2020s don't...I'd take my E46 engine over my F80s any day despite being underpowered.
BMW made a 4 litre V8 with 414bhp that revved to 8500 rpm back in 2007, I know as I have the last iteration and it’s a screamer but… my power is up on top of the rev band.The GTS engine isn’t that remarkable it’s power is all up top and not useful for day-day driving but yet it isn’t mentioned on reviews..
A supercharged engine is the best of both worlds for throttle response and low down pull. I’m eager to try this tired old Toyota engine 😀